MakeWebGames

Easier way for Raven's scammed customers

As a scammed customer of Raven.info, I would like to provide a bit of feedback on how difficult it is to sift through all the "anti raven.info posts" and figure out what I need to do to properly licence and credit the authors of the script I purchased.

1. I was a player of another game, got pissed at the admins, and decided to make my own game. So I Google PHP game scripts to get me started. Up pops Raven.info, I buy it ect. Everything goes ok (despite my struggle to figure this out without support ect. ok, so I know I'm a dumb noob) Raven gets taken down, I don't receive the support I was promised ect. So once again, I take my ball and go elsewhere. I find MCCodes, download light to see what this is all about and if I really want to invest $ yet again, or am I going to be played the sucker again.

2. MCCodes Forums: yeah I figured out that not only was I a sucker, but I am running "stolen" software. So, I set about trying to figure out how to legitimize my game. There are a LOT of rags on Raven and some conflicting how to fix it topics, but everything is very confusing. Most owners of Raven wouldnt dive into the forums like I have, so I suggest:

Where you can buy the 3 versions of mccodes, you add a fourth link for Raven purchasers. From there, you can explain to them 1. What happened. 2. how to fix it. and 3. simplified forms, paypal ect to get this fixed.

Needles to say, I feel like suing Raven myself, I have lost countless hours of my time trying to resolve this problem and apologize to the developers of the software I am running illegally (at least until I can get a legal licence).

http://www.mccodes.com/support.php

Is the best place to get support via MCCodes, there is the alternative of sending a message via the forum to the Two owners: ColdBlooded and Dabomstew.

The link above also is the site of MCCodes and you're able to purchase MCCodes versions from there, however you can just buy a license for MCCodes and continue to use the base codes(Ravans) you have now (and from what I assume running your game(s) on) so there is no need to go through and change everything.

Either way the link Jordan provided will help you either directly or indirectly (if you manage to scrap the nonesense posts there)

Note to owners: Create a topic for it then lock it :P

Djkanna

:)

I appreciate you guys trying to help me sort it out, I was simply trying to suggest a way to direct more raven code users to licence properly. Most of us had no clue there was a problem until the shut down, and dont discover it till we try finding out why we arent getting what raven promised.

I have a support ticket open, have read all the forum topics I can find, and am sure I will find resolution as soon as one of the owners get back to me. I just thought the whole process was a bit confusing to sort out. Even a locked forum topic with one simple set of instructions and brief explanation that was easy to find would have been better than the few hours I spent trying to sort it out. Just trying to help others like me who got scammed, are missing out on this level of community support and information, and MCCodes, who are getting ripped off. :)

My point of view, Raven has messed up many game owners & games.

1: POINTED OUT BY CRIMGAME - Template was robbed on Mafia-Corruption. That's a way to get your game taken by the creator of that.

2: RAVEV = MCC - Basically isn't an engine/script in my view, just another game with added mods..

Personally, I don't feel like people blaming Dabs & CB. Iv'e seen some people blame them, but how? If you made an engine, and someone decided to add some mods & sell it for cheaper, and say they made it.. Isn't your fault.. Get my point?

I hope Raven gets his/her head out his/her ass & read up a thing called "Copyright". My friend "Theodore Fulbright" bought Raven MCC, for $25 (Codes/License). Later found out that he had to take his game down, because of this.. Redickluss. Plus, he isn't going to get his money back.. Some people said "It's only $25" Well, he could of given his kids something out of it..

NOTE: I personally think $25 should be a discount for the people who have to buy MCC, as it's not there fault. Nore CB & Dabs.

P.S: I added some info on the other thread, sorry. :P

Funny, I know a Ted too, and yeah we both got scammed out of the $15 for the script, and $10 for the copyright removal, and we both could have bought something for our kids, our combined $50 could have gotten a lot of stuff for us. Hell we could have gone in on a legal copy of mccodes and been half way paid for! I do believe however that this thread has turned toward a bitch session, and is no longer focusing on helping those of us who have made this blunder fix the problem. So please, lets get back on track.

Edit: Its been almost 24 hours since I sent in a support ticket, I would really like to get this cleared up, as I hate that I am running a rip off. What is the normal wait time on a support ticket, and If I just buy the $100 licence without the price reduction ect, will I be covered?

Edit: Its been almost 24 hours since I sent in a support ticket, I would really like to get this cleared up, as I hate that I am running a rip off. What is the normal wait time on a support ticket, and If I just buy the $100 licence without the price reduction ect, will I be covered?
It all depends, If one off them are online..

If you purchase MCCodes v2 yes you'll be legally using the code

OK, well, if nothing else, I feel better for having purchased the V2 licence, and it is even viewable on my site if you know where to look.

Now, what are the chances of getting a help thread for getting rid of / fixing the rest of the illegal mods Raven made or ripped off from others?

Hi Lilith,

Your support query has been dealt with by me. Your suggestion you have posted is already being worked on at the moment. Time is an essence for Dabomstew and I; we are working at the most efficient pace as we can. Let us deal with ravans organization. We have taken down their PayPal so this will stop people from being their victims.

CB

Much appreciated, I however think you misunderstood what I was asking for after buying the script. It has become my understanding that things like paid mods, the template ect were included in the stuff we got from Raven. Perhaps some of the creators of those mods can say hey, this is what I wrote, and I can get their permission to use, and the things I cant get permission to use can be replaced. I would be terribly upset if I was in your shoes and the people who have built these mods, and would like to know that my site is not questionable in any way. If its just time away while you guys deal with Raven, thats cool, I will force myself to wait. I just want to make it right at least on my end. After all, I am the Dumb *** that didn't research their company.

Lilith,

If you can share any information about what is on Ravan (I myself don't have an *up to date* copy of it) that isn't on MCCodes V2(http://www.samplev2.mccodes.com/login.php) or something that you believe might not be legit.

I and I'm sure the members here will help track down original authors, infact gives me an idea (I'm going to let that idea stir abit :P)

Well, I'm still trying to familiarize myself with what MCCodes has,

I can load and install it to one of my severs, disable the registration, and then post the link with log in information for an account. However, it would still be an illegal version of Mccodes, would that be acceptable for this undertaking? I'm not sure thats such a hot idea either tho. Gah, I'm not sure how to go about this properly, Perhaps, it will have to wait till I'm more familiar with what MCCodes has to offer? So much to do, so little time.

My first time, i searched text-based game and found the ravan script about a year or year and a half ago. So i purchased it, thinking, oh wow thats a good deal. Little did i know anything about php, or how to install it for that matter. So when i asked ravan to install my script, they did about 24 hours after. then i changed my user_level to member by accident, it took like 24 or something hours to change one thing in the damn sql, then i accidentally uninstalled and asked them to reinstall it one last time, and what do i get? nothing. I stumbled upon these forums about a week ago and found out ive been running illegal scripts ( although its not like i have a game up, i just do stuff from my xampp server ). So now i feel like ive been ripped off, and the only other thing is now if i want to have a game, i have to pay a bunch more than i did in the first place which kinda sucks.

If I can put my 2 cents in here, buying a script just because you was tired of some admin of another game is not exactly a good start. Owning a game is a LOT MORE work than simply owning a script.

Let's imagine you don't code anything, but simply run the game, well it's at least marketing, handling users, checking hackers / exploiters, moderate your users etc.

If you code (and I would say it's a must) you would need to fix some issues, implement new features all the time (yes that's the only way to keep old players on board mainly), discuss with your players about what should be added and what not, etc.

So, even if you have been scammed for this script you bought, the 200$ or 300$ you should invest into your game (if you are serious) is actually nothing. As even a correct hosting (which will mean at the end a dedicated server or at least a VPS) could cost easily that per year... if not per month.

To give you an idea, I run my game since 5 years, and I have currently a yearly budget of 2000$ per year for the hosting, plus about 2000$-5000$ a year of advert. And my budgets are VERY small as well as my game is by no mean the most known ;)

I find it disturbing how quick you are to shut people down on building games. Just because you have been doing it for 5 years doesn't mean we haven't put in the same amount of dedication or work in the time we have had our games. Do you really think I would give a crap if I hadn't invested a lot into this already? I may have gotten my start on the wrong foot by buying an illegal script, not knowing what I was doing, ect, but that doesn't mean I want to stay on that wrong foot, don't want to learn, and haven't already made huge progress.

If its any indicator, after being out of College for the last 10 years. Starting my game has helped me realize that I truly love computer programing, development and design. Matter of fact, I start back to college in August for game design and development. But yeah, $25,000 a year in tuition on top of a small gaming budget wouldn't indicate that I realize owning a game is a lot more than owning a script. But how could you have known that? Do you just assume everyone is that 10 year old kid that plans to make it rich off a MCCodes script? Or did it ever occur to you that some of the most successful people in the world are that 10 year old kid that didn't let people tell them you cant do that. BC when they grew up, they did. The point is, it doesn't matter where you start, but where you are headed.

If I can put my 2 cents in here, your assumptions are pretty negative. Id be willing to bet that in your 5 years of experience, you have a lot more to offer than what I have seen in these forums so far. Its to bad I haven't seen that part yet, I hope I do get to see a positive side of you.

@Lilith: I don't know where you see my negativity, it was word of warnings that you must be prepared to pay a lot more than the 200-300$ for the script. Sorry but it's a reality, if you run a game which have some kind of success, you will not be able to run it on a shared hosting (those which are cheap) and even less on a free hosting. So it will really start to cost you money. You are not ready for it? Then maybe you should think about the whole thing, that's what I want to say.

On the other side, I'm a lucky guy, because what I spend is not coming from my own pocket, it's actually payed by the players due to the object sales. Still the first year I had to shell out all to be able to reach this point.

You know, you guys (and really you are a majority on this board), think that just setting up a script, changing a few pages, changing maybe the layout and post the link somewhere will make your game a success. Sorry, but that's a COMPLETE mistake. That doesn't work like that, and if you chat with any other game owners or game developers (like CrimGame aka Zero-Affect or others) you will get basically the same kind of feedback. You don't trust me? Fine, ask the others ;) Of course you can put your script online, just put a link on some forum (hoping you don't get banned for spamming as this is another nice thing which happen a lot), and then see how it goes. You may get a few players, yes, but that will end there.

a_bertrand, I am beginning to see where you are coming from, but I highly disagree with your premise. It is my understanding that MCCodes is a place to start when learning PHP and the how to of creating a browser based game. Im sure that if people are truly serious about making a serious browser based game, they will develop the skills necessary to build their own game engines, unique Ideas, and discover these things you are trying to point out. I have been running my game for just 2 months and have already discovered what you have tried to point out. I get it, you want people to see the reality of owning a game. I see the realities and still want to continue.

Id like to see more information from experienced owners / programmers on how to build a successful game. I know it takes time and effort. I know it takes a financial investment. I know that my coding skills need to be improved. I'm working on those things or have those things, so what else can I do to make my game better?

I agree with what Alain said, however I've not been doing it as long as him only around Three years now but he did hit the nail on the head there.

I recently spoke to ColdBlooded (I know he's never online when I am damn timezones) he said that there will be a more appropriate section for Ravan customers within their homesite (http://www.mccodes.com) within the next few weeks if I remember correctly.

Hopefully this will help a lot more that what's already available.