Jump to content
MakeWebGames

New project idea. A new gaming wiki / topside.


Interest or Not  

4 members have voted

  1. 1. Interest or Not

    • Yes
      2
    • No
      2


Recommended Posts

So, a lot of sites now have wikis for there games. Major or small games. My idea as a developer is to create a new site and APP for Android to help indie developers hopefully gain more players.

 

My idea, not just create a site to list and vote, and leave reviews but to also provide a list of features and game content AKA wiki. The idea by creating the wiki will be easy for people running certain scripts, GL, McCodes for now. I will create a script to create a json file that can be uploaded to my potentially new site manually or automatically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like and support the concept @Sim however a site like that WILL require considerable promotion in and of itself, to generate the volumes of traffic that will then ultimately navigate to the various games sites and thereby benefit those games.

Organic traffic via search engines will appear to be be the most cost effective however LOTS of stuff will need to be done (SEO on page and off, link building, promotion both paid and unpaid etc, which all come with their own costs) before any first page rankings will be offered by said search engines.

If you have the time and commitment to take on a project like this then I say 'go for it" but just a domain name, hosting and a script won't, in my opinion give you the results that would be necessary to make this successful. 

Edited by CrazyElk
Correct error.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am aware of that @CrazyElk my favorite coding is bots and scrappers. I Will/would end up creating some type of Bot to generate traffic.

 

I already have thoughts for one to help generate traffic/players to GL games as an Admin Tools Mod. Will probably be at least a month before any your of release or development for this mod though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sim said:

I am aware of that @CrazyElk my favorite coding is bots and scrappers. I Will/would end up creating some type of Bot to generate traffic.

 

I already have thoughts for one to help generate traffic/players to GL games as an Admin Tools Mod. Will probably be at least a month before any your of release or development for this mod though.

Traffic is every webmasters holy grail @Sim, bypass the middleman and do away with the wiki idea and simply go with your "I Will/would end up creating some type of Bot to generate traffic." idea.

I will buy a copy the moment you release it, along with just about anyone who operates a website ... you will be worth a fortune crazy quick. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrazyElk said:

Traffic is every webmasters holy grail @Sim, bypass the middleman and do away with the wiki idea and simply go with your "I Will/would end up creating some type of Bot to generate traffic." idea.

I will buy a copy the moment you release it, along with just about anyone who operates a website ... you will be worth a fortune crazy quick. 🙂

Traffic isn't worth shit if it's not targeted. Someone who turns up once and hit's the X isn't someone you really want.

This is amplified on a game because who really wants 200,000 accounts that logged in once, and never came back - makes the game look absolutely trash on the face of it, doesn't it?

If you want real traffic, you're paying for that shit and something like Facebook (Expensive, and an extreme) has this shit nailed down, so unless Sim can somehow sell me something that let's me say "I want to reach out to this age range, within this geographical region, if they have ever posted about granny pants", then it's not really what I'd call ideal.

The old advertising methods were not the best, back when you'd pay for banners on other games - but they were at least targeted to gamers.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SRB said:

Traffic isn't worth shit if it's not targeted. Someone who turns up once and hit's the X isn't someone you really want.

This is amplified on a game because who really wants 200,000 accounts that logged in once, and never came back - makes the game look absolutely trash on the face of it, doesn't it?

If you want real traffic, you're paying for that shit and something like Facebook (Expensive, and an extreme) has this shit nailed down, so unless Sim can somehow sell me something that let's me say "I want to reach out to this age range, within this geographical region, if they have ever posted about granny pants", then it's not really what I'd call ideal.

The old advertising methods were not the best, back when you'd pay for banners on other games - but they were at least targeted to gamers.

It should go without saying, that generating traffic is always going to be about the targeted kind given the points you raise are Webmaster 101.

In terms of someone clicking the X or the bounce rate, every site experiences that and while an optimal bounce rate would be in the 25% to 40% range this still means considerable surfers are indeed clicking the X prematurely even on a site with those admirable statistics.

200,000 accounts are not going to be generated if someone who has no interest in games wanders by a gaming site, they will click the X on the landing page having realised its not for them without ever going to the trouble of registering an account, but I'm thinking if we did generate 200,000 accounts and if even 1% of those individuals were active, (which is 2000) then I would cop that any day without believing such a site was 'absolutely trash'.

I have used Facebook Ads many times with good results and by definition claim that it not expensive, although someone else's idea of what that means may differ to mine. Having said that, paid advertising via differing mediums is the go to for the majority of business's online and off, huge budgets are allocated and provided there are returns on investment (spend $1000 and make $5000) then this practice will continue. I am reminded of the business owner whose business was doing poorly, with nary a sale to be had. In frustration he turned to his manager and said "business is rubbish and we are not seeing any customers, its a good thing we didn't waste any money on advertising this month". 🙂

As for Sim's proposal, it revolves around "bots and scrapers" as I understand it, so its unlikely you'd implement this on eBay or Gumtree for example but rather target/scrape those sites having a beneficial effect to someones game site. 

Build it @Sim and I will buy a copy!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@SRBis correct. Useless traffic is useless. But my idea involves the game owners to perform some actions. But, the idea is to simplify the process and save game owners approximately %80 time with this. Traffic would be targeted if game owners has any common sense. 🙂

 

The problem I am facing is coding it from my phone. It's a lot of data manipulation which I would prefer to do on a laptop/PC.

And would require a lot of updates anytime a sites HTML/css is updated which is not to much of a problem and wouldn't happen to often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CrazyElk said:

It should go without saying, that generating traffic is always going to be about the targeted kind given the points you raise are Webmaster 101.

In terms of someone clicking the X or the bounce rate, every site experiences that and while an optimal bounce rate would be in the 25% to 40% range this still means considerable surfers are indeed clicking the X prematurely even on a site with those admirable statistics.

200,000 accounts are not going to be generated if someone who has no interest in games wanders by a gaming site, they will click the X on the landing page having realised its not for them without ever going to the trouble of registering an account, but I'm thinking if we did generate 200,000 accounts and if even 1% of those individuals were active, (which is 2000) then I would cop that any day without believing such a site was 'absolutely trash'.

I have used Facebook Ads many times with good results and by definition claim that it not expensive, although someone else's idea of what that means may differ to mine. Having said that, paid advertising via differing mediums is the go to for the majority of business's online and off, huge budgets are allocated and provided there are returns on investment (spend $1000 and make $5000) then this practice will continue. I am reminded of the business owner whose business was doing poorly, with nary a sale to be had. In frustration he turned to his manager and said "business is rubbish and we are not seeing any customers, its a good thing we didn't waste any money on advertising this month". 🙂

As for Sim's proposal, it revolves around "bots and scrapers" as I understand it, so its unlikely you'd implement this on eBay or Gumtree for example but rather target/scrape those sites having a beneficial effect to someones game site. 

Build it @Sim and I will buy a copy!

 

 

 

 

Assuming anything goes without saying is an assumption normally proved wrong.

To then argue your point based on assumption... and answer like a politician... yeah, okay buddy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, SRB said:

Assuming anything goes without saying is an assumption normally proved wrong.

To then argue your point based on assumption... and answer like a politician... yeah, okay buddy.

It appears from your above comments, that like your initial comments your simply wishing to be a tad combative and adopt an opposing posture just because you can.

As for your "normally proved wrong" remark you should be aware, while I am not always right, I am NEVER wrong. 🙂

To use the phrase "it goes without saying" is most certainly NOT an assumption but rather its a 'gimme' locked in stone, your interpretation of my comments appears to be somewhat lacking and your reference to me replying like a "politician" is also relegated to the scrap heap given a politician says plenty but nothing at the same time. My comments are very specific and are directly related and composed relative to your own initial diatribe. 

In fact, I don't believe I have made any assumptions anywhere, except perhaps to assume you may be a democrat. 😂

Forgive the political jibe, its not something I generally espouse on a forum such as this however you did open the door.

Sorry about hijacking your thread @Sim but I'm still in the market for your traffic scraper if you decide to build one.

Edited by CrazyElk
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

All will be well. Let's not escalate this any further then it has @SRB @CrazyElk go to PMs and battle it your political debates.

 

You guys took a page from my old hijacking thread days. It usually resulted in a warning though. I couldn't keep my debates to PG-13. 

😂

Edited by Sim
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Quite right @Sim ... I have no desire for any further discourse  with the other party. 🙂

Nowww, when will this scraper be ready??

 

Ummm, by the way @Sim, your diplomatic handling of what could be a potentially volatile situation certainly adds substance to your application to be a moderator here, you get my vote. 🙂

Edited by CrazyElk
Link to post
Share on other sites

Once enough pre-orders are filled? 😂

7 hours ago, CrazyElk said:

 

Ummm, by the way @Sim, your diplomatic handling of what could be a potentially volatile situation certainly adds substance to your application to be a moderator here, you get my vote. 🙂

Trial and Error bud. 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay everyone. I am about to slowly develop my tool. 

 

As of now, the idea is a mix match using Google to find topsites, directories, forums to auto post your game, updates, screen shots related to your niche. 

 

I may or may not include a list of game development places that are auto posted. These usually involve more time coding. I will see how the first part goes.

I am also thinking about maybe reddit, 4chan(highly visited site), and if  exist screenshot game sites. I'd anyone else has any other ideas to contribute, they may or may not be added.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...