MakeWebGames

ZiDDLe / Pkmn Helios

sniko

So, a couple days ago ZIDDLE ( [uSER=69959]CruZer[/uSER] ) released a database dump and the source for a recoded Pokemon Helios.

Along with (this is an ongoing discussion as they've not replied to me) them potentially not allowing to release the source (as their own / at all) due to licensing restrictions, it has come to my attention that complete_db_helios.rar holds the usernames, emails, and hashed passwords of over 100k users.

Along with a breach of trust from the users - releasing their information (site activity, private messages, user information), they've hashed the passwords with sha1(). At time of writing I've personally cracked around 19k passwords. This leads me on...

Many users reuse their passwords. I've ~19k email/user;pass configurations to try on multiple platforms, including their e-mail providers. Once I've got into their e-mail account, I'm free to access any account the user has by resetting passwords and such.

This is a complete breach of user trust with a content provider.

I've talked to [uSER=69959]CruZer[/uSER] about this and he's since removed the complete_db_helios.rar - though that doesn't stop someone who has previously downloaded it to re-upload somewhere they've no control over.

This Facebook chat with [uSER=69959]CruZer[/uSER] implies he's shifting blame on the actual site owner, even though he's the one that posted it to his site and reached an audience who now have it.

Somewhat related to a previous shady move by [uSER=69959]CruZer[/uSER] - http://makewebgames.io/forum/misc/chit-chat/26302-rivalry-between-games#post26302

mASylfe.png

BGe9ARP.png

OqfD6XR.png

[uSER=65371]sniko[/uSER] , if you come across anyone you recognise, you should let them know their accounts are vulnerable and report to them to change their passwords.

Setting up an e-mail blast to all accounts with a detailed description of what's gone on and who's involved/should be dealt with. Should be sent soonish (need to figure out how to mass mail >100k accounts that doesn't cost)

Setting up an e-mail blast to all accounts with a detailed description of what's gone on and who's involved/should be dealt with. Should be sent soonish (need to figure out how to mass mail >100k accounts that doesn't cost)

For loop with php mail();? Not the best or great solution but might work?