MakeWebGames

Too many Queries

Damond

I know there is a way.... Can some one show me how to make this much MUCH shorter?

$invs = $db->fetch_row($db->query("SELECT * FROM inventory WHERE inv_userid = {$ir['userid']} AND inv_itemid = 84"));
$invs2 = $db->fetch_row($db->query("SELECT * FROM inventory WHERE inv_userid = {$ir['userid']} AND inv_itemid = 87"));
$invs3 = $db->fetch_row($db->query("SELECT * FROM inventory WHERE inv_userid = {$ir['userid']} AND inv_itemid = 90"));
$invs4 = $db->fetch_row($db->query("SELECT * FROM inventory WHERE inv_userid = {$ir['userid']} AND inv_itemid = 93"));
$invs5 = $db->fetch_row($db->query("SELECT * FROM inventory WHERE inv_userid = {$ir['userid']} AND inv_itemid = 96"));
$invs6 = $db->fetch_row($db->query("SELECT * FROM inventory WHERE inv_userid = {$ir['userid']} AND inv_itemid = 99"));

if ($invs['inv_itemid'] == 84 && $invs['inv_qty'] > 0){
$on_hand = $invs['inv_qty'];
} else {
$on_hand = 'None';
}
if ($invs2['inv_itemid'] == 87 && $invs2['inv_qty'] > 0){
$on_hand2 = $invs2['inv_qty'];
} else {
$on_hand2 = 'None';
}
if ($invs3['inv_itemid'] == 90 && $invs3['inv_qty'] > 0){
$on_hand3 = $invs3['inv_qty'];
} else {
$on_hand3 = 'None';
}
if ($invs4['inv_itemid'] == 93 && $invs4['inv_qty'] > 0){
$on_hand4 = $invs4['inv_qty'];
} else {
$on_hand4 = 'None';
}
if ($invs5['inv_itemid'] == 96 && $invs5['inv_qty'] > 0){
$on_hand5 = $invs5['inv_qty'];
} else {
$on_hand5 = 'None';
}
if ($invs6['inv_itemid'] == 99 && $invs6['inv_qty'] > 0){
$on_hand6 = $invs6['inv_qty'];
} else {
$on_hand6 = 'None';
}

There are so many items in the inventory and we are trying to target these 6. I have been reading about arrays and imploding and exploding and my damn head is about to explode..

Thanks in advance. I always get the best advice here.

Something like this =]

$items = "84, 87, 90, 93, 96, 99";

$res = $db->query("SELECT * FROM inventory WHERE inv_userid = {$ir['userid']} AND inv_itemid IN($items)");

while($inv = $db->fetch_row($res))
{
} else {
   $on_hand = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand2 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand3 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand4 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand5 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand6 = 'None';
}
}

$items = array(84, 87, 90, 93, 96, 99);
//your db query....
//you while statement....
if (in_array($res['inv_itemid']) && $res['inv_qty'] == 0) {
   echo "Empty";
}

Not sure if you understand what Kyle is doing here but I'm going explain two ways that it could work. Use Sim's query to pull only the specific items from the database or just pull the users entire inventory, then whilst it iterates through it if the item Id of one of the specified items appears it'll trigger the if statement. That way you can do whatever code you like then with it

Not sure if you understand what Kyle is doing here but I'm going explain two ways that it could work. Use Sim's query to pull only the specific items from the database or just pull the users entire inventory, then whilst it iterates through it if the item Id of one of the specified items appears it'll trigger the if statement. That way you can do whatever code you like then with it

Yep :p sorry I'm just on my phone so I couldn't really get into the details and I should have said this was based off [MENTION=64603]Sim[/MENTION]'s post a little bit

Why are you fetching row at the same time using $db->query? try
 mysql_fetch_assoc($db->query("")); 

query() gets all the results you are wanting. statements such as mysql_fetch_assoc() mysql_fetch_array(), mysql_fetch_row() gets what you want from the returned query... ;\

Why are you fetching row at the same time using $db->query? try
 mysql_fetch_assoc($db->query("")); 

First we're not using mysql. We're using the mysqli class. And second straight from mysqli class:

function fetch_row($result=0)
 {
   if(!$result) { $result=$this->result; }
   return mysqli_fetch_assoc($result);
 }

So why not fetch at the same time as querying? There isn't anything wrong with doing it that way.

First we're not using mysql. We're using the mysqli class. And second straight from mysqli class:
 {
 }

So why not fetch at the same time as querying? There isn't anything wrong with doing it that way.

sorry i didn't read the code fully as im on my phone

{
 }

Well yes and no if you want it easy to read I suppose in reality, though I have never tried, you could do something like this:

while($result = $db-fetch_row($db->query("SELECT `soomething` FROM `somewhere`))) {
   //continue with your loop
}

To me that looks ugly as hell and you may lose some functionality and control of certain aspects of your results. For example what are you to do if your while() statement returns FALSE? You see, now you lost control unless you wanted to throw it in a try/catch block instead of a simple if/else block.

That is why (for this example) fetching your query right off the bat may not be the best idea because you lose all your data in the loop outside of the loop if you require to use it

Well yes and no if you want it easy to read I suppose in reality, though I have never tried, you could do something like this:
while($result = $db-fetch_row($db->query("SELECT `soomething` FROM `somewhere`))) {
   //continue with your loop
}

To me that looks ugly as hell and you may lose some functionality and control of certain aspects of your results. For example what are you to do if your while() statement returns FALSE? You see, now you lost control unless you wanted to throw it in a try/catch block instead of a simple if/else block.

That is why (for this example) fetching your query right off the bat may not be the best idea because you lose all your data in the loop outside of the loop if you require to use it

Not sure if that will work anyway. Wouldn't it just requery on each execution? So you'd be starting from the beggining?

Wouldn't know lol, I have never tried it that way but now that you mention it seems like it wouldn't work

I can't remember the last time Ive done it that way, and if its been that long ago, I would think the reason I don't do it is because it don't work -_-

Of course it does not work for one the $vars are incorrect in the IF statements look closer to Sims recoded part, there is NO use any longer for the $vars; $invs,$invs2, and so forth they should all become $inv as stated in the WHILE statement...

This is Sims recoded part...

$items = "84, 87, 90, 93, 96, 99";
$res = $db->query("SELECT * FROM inventory WHERE inv_userid = {$ir['userid']} AND inv_itemid IN($items)");

{
} else {
   $on_hand = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand2 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand3 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand4 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand5 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand6 = 'None';
}
}
Edited by lucky3809

Of course it does not work for one the $vars are incorrect in the IF statements look closer to Sims recoded part, there is NO use any longer for the $vars; $invs,$invs2, and so forth they should all become $inv as stated in the WHILE statement...

This is Sims recoded part...

{
} else {
   $on_hand = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand2 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand3 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand4 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand5 = 'None';
}
} else {
   $on_hand6 = 'None';
}
}

Well damn, how can we miss that lol good eye. Regardless there is too much repeated code. Using in_array() to search an array for a key/value pair would probably IMO be the best way

- - - Updated - - -

The loop should also ref while mysql_fetch_assoc(), not fetch_row

while ($inv = mysql_fetch_assoc($res))

{

fetch_row() is *_fetch_assoc() if you are and should be using the $db object and not mysql* objects/functions

I don't see how you would lose functionality [MENTION=68711]KyleMassacre[/MENTION] all that doing it $db->fetch_row($db->query( does is cut down on using two lines to do what you can do on one.

Why have this:

$q = $db->query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE userid=$userid");
$r = $db->fetch_row($q);

When this is easier:

$r = $db->fetch_row($db->query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE userid=$userid"));

I don't see how you would lose functionality [MENTION=68711]KyleMassacre[/MENTION] all that doing it $db->fetch_row($db->query( does is cut down on using two lines to do what you can do on one.

Why have this:

$r = $db->fetch_row($q);

When this is easier:

That is fine for 1 result.. Multiple results from the query will produce unwanted outcomes when looping $db->fetch_row($db->query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE userid=$userid"));

You all just forgot he mentioned he did that already @Kyle

tl;dr; :p

I don't see how you would lose functionality @KyleMassacre all that doing it $db->fetch_row($db->query( does is cut down on using two lines to do what you can do on one.

Why have this:

$r = $db->fetch_row($q);

When this is easier:

Lets say you run $r in a loop but $r returns false, how would you handle that? This is why it is a bit better in most cases to query your database then fetch the results seperately:

//Query our db
//Are there any rows from our query?
if($db->num_rows($q)) {
//Yes, lets loop through them
   $results = array();
   while($r = $db->fetch_row($q)) {
       $results[] = $r;
   }
   echo $results."\n\r";
}
//Nope, no rows lets inform them
else {
   echo "No results found!";
}

Opposed to:

results = array();
while($r) {
   $results[] = $r;
} 
echo $results."\n\r";

In all honesty I think the first one looks much cleaner and easier to read even though its more than twice the lines but you have more control over the output much easier than stacking the methods together

Edited by KyleMassacre
fixed syntax error