MakeWebGames

GRPG wish list

AdamHull

Hi all, I thought I would make a post to see what you would all like within the new GRPG engine that is currently in development.

I want to get all your ideas together and try and create a better engine for the community.

A little update on the engine so far:

• Register complete (with new hashing system for passwords)
  • new mail syatem
  • bbcode (nearly complete)
  • msqli and oop coding

Please comment on the things you want

I really should of added a forgot password is in the process of being made (well being made just trying to figure out why it won't send email) this forgot password is done by making a random code and sending it to the user via which allows them to access a page to reset the password. A fully recoded admin panel will be coming to the engine which will allow more modifications of the game and more control. Classes are going to be fully recoded. And the full game is being optimised to pull less from the database

do you mean the way mccodes does it allow you to create item types and assign items to that item type?

misc

weapon

etc

A fully customized item system is complicated. I have nearly finished one, but got side tracked by another project. I am not just talking about in terms of coding, but as well as making it user friendly so people know *** there doing.

first thing i would make a clean/simple layout instead of having a theme as after all it is a game engine, second i would use PDO for database connection as it is much better as it is much more secure and allows for easy change of the database driver.

i would create a whole new base instead of fixing what is already there as people could do that themselves, in other words a whole new engine.

first thing i would make a clean/simple layout instead of having a theme as after all it is a game engine, second i would use PDO for database connection as it is much better as it is much more secure and allows for easy change of the database driver.

i would create a whole new base instead of fixing what is already there as people could do that themselves, in other words a whole new engine.

"More secure"? How? Also do you plan on using different drivers?

PDO offers SQL injection security compared to alternatives and yes mySQLi also does but does not offer certain features that PDO does. No i don't but other users might need to use a different database it is nice having it there in case needed and if later in development cycle you need to move database you dont have to go through and recode every database query/connection you can just change the driver.

PDO offers SQL injection security compared to alternatives and yes mySQLi also does but does not offer certain features that PDO does.

PDO offers additional features that, quite frankly, most people on here wouldn't ever need or use. We're not building enterprise or very heavy traffic websites here. I feel that using PDO vs mySQLi is based upon personal preference of coding style versus the actual features that they provide.

No i don't but other users might need to use a different database it is nice having it there in case needed and if later in development cycle you need to move database you dont have to go through and recode every database query/connection you can just change the driver.

People who use mySQLi on a daily basis (like myself) would tell you that if a database was moved, all they would have to do is change one line of code that establishes the database connection, and they would be done. It's pretty simple and straight-forward. Many people code their sites like that.

PDO offers easy migrations like that, and that's understandable, but just know that there are many other ways to do it instead of the simple "just use PDO" response. It's really a matter of personal preference.

~G7470

PDO offers SQL injection security compared to alternatives and yes mySQLi also does but does not offer certain features that PDO does. No i don't but other users might need to use a different database it is nice having it there in case needed and if later in development cycle you need to move database you dont have to go through and recode every database query/connection you can just change the driver.

A point to note:

PDO isn't inherently secure. You still need to take the appropriate actions by binding your parameters.