MakeWebGames

Mccodes - Why is it so popular with players?

Zettieee

Hey guys, I've seen/played so many mccodes games but never made an mccode game (That's been live).

I've had GRPG games and they did alright but nothing like these mccode games.

Why is it mccode games seem to get more players than GRPG?

Even with custom mods/scripts for GRPG people just didn't stay like on mccode games. With, imo less mods/less custom code?

I've seen some mccode games with basicly nothing added with over 25 people online every time I loggedin.

So my question to you:

What game engine have you had more success with? (Not in terms of money but active players).

Well I believe that the code is super old. Could it be better? Sure. But I think the reason why there are games made with it that have a crap load of users is because it's really easy to use. It's like the VBulletin of text base games, no real structure but easy to use. The plugin/modification market for MCC is kind of off the chain too so there should really be no reason that a game doesn't have fresh content regularly. If players feel the owner is developing the game then it's like sending a subliminal message to them telling them to stay.

Also so it comes with quite a bit out of the box to begin with much like GRPG but GRPG doesn't have the people behind it to make things for it to expand on.

Well I believe that the code is super old. Could it be better? Sure. But I think the reason why there are games made with it that have a crap load of users is because it's really easy to use. It's like the VBulletin of text base games, no real structure but easy to use. The plugin/modification market for MCC is kind of off the chain too so there should really be no reason that a game doesn't have fresh content regularly. If players feel the owner is developing the game then it's like sending a subliminal message to them telling them to stay.

Also so it comes with quite a bit out of the box to begin with much like GRPG but GRPG doesn't have the people behind it to make things for it to expand on.

And MCCODES have people to make things expand on? I thought all engines were dead pretty much =)

And MCCODES have people to make things expand on? I thought all engines were dead pretty much =)

I wouldn't say that. I receive requests for mods from people that have MCCodes, GRPG, and other engines. The engines aren't "dead" really, it is what you do with what you have.

~G7470

All the engines are different in their own way. Many prefer MCCODES or GRPG because of the benefits it has. Some have add-ons that will implement good features to any RPG game. Better yet you can also code your own add-ons if you're good at it. It's not hard. It's piss easy to do.

The kind of MMORPG market which this thread relates to is just favourable towards MCCode and GRPG architecture, for various reasons.

One of the main reason is when a game gets deployed on an engine like MCCode v2, if the gameplay process is kept un-touch; talking about the main menu, explore/city, functionalities offered inside of Explore/City, Travel, Buying items, Attack etc, then it is very similar to many other games out there (Regardless of the game being different genre, crimesrpg, sci-fi and so on). Most users have experienced this UI/UX functionalities already, and most enjoy it (quite evidently otherwise we won't be here today). Users who haven't experienced this sort of gameplay before (newbies), they are still able to enjoyably and easily learn the gameplay in order to get addicted (the whole point for games like these).

MMOs are growing very fast on mobile devices with the right UI/UX (clean and responsive) currently IMO. Gameplay which matches the old retro games like TornCity, MonoCountry, HoboWars, CriminalCountry and few other popular games of the past. Players demand is growing again. It had died out for a while imho.

Developers point of view on the popularity of MCCode and GRPG engine is very much similar to the gameplay produced by these engines. Vast amount of support and resources out there that keeps it very consistent on how MCCode engine's codebase and front end functionalities work. Some may say it's because of the simplicity and no following of any development process. I agree. Hence it's very easy to learn and expand all in basically 1 directory of source. null official documentation out there, it's community driven backed by simplicity.

This is highly subjective to an individual developers programming level. Highly experienced and disciplined programmers will find it rubbish to use these engines. However, the market for these Software's facilitate developers to first learn the architecture of a normal MCCode game before they start having fun building new functionalities in the game. Learning and applying what you learnt is a reason for this popularity level.

I still look forward to see a popular MCCode style gameplay running on iOS and Android apps. C'mon someone!

Any time I go to make a game (which hasnt been for a while, although my interest has peaked again) I look back at the games I tried to launch in the past, which have all used mccodes. They all offered me one thing, simplicity, its easy for players to use and get used to, despite a lack of what I would call interesting features. Therefore nowadays when I'm looking for a side project, I work on my own game. A game that I'm building completely from scratch, but will keep the core values that makes games made with mccodes so popular.