MakeWebGames

Opinions on a multilingual game!!

NationGamer

Well i have been working on a game for the last 2 years and finally close to finishing it but i was only posting this thread to see what all of you thought about a multilingual game well first of all the base game uses server side scripts to translate the game then parts that cannot be set like user posts etc uses google translate but all base game at the moment translates into

English (GB/US)

Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese)

Malaysian (Malay)

Japaneses

German

Spanish

French

Italian

Dutch

i don't know if i need to add anymore as i picked mostly from the main languages, only reason i translated my game is to get more of a player base and actually enable people from other countries that can't read/write English to enjoy the game also.

no offense but did you read the post right as i said it translates the whole game to a different language like say if an english user sends a mail to a german then it would translate text from english to german and so on and tbh im not a fan of multiple servers in games looks stupid and games only do it to try and keep members after server 1 has failed

If your game gets big you will need multiple servers, I would create a root directory, get a few domains or sub domains (nl.gamename.com) for example and depending on the prefix you could load that lang file.

The potential for player miscommunication with your idea is huge. Things like Google Translate don't perfectly translate the text, so the original way the message was intended in French could seem rude or malicious once in English (for instance).

Think a better solution is to have multiple servers with different languages.

how are you planning on doing this, writing your own script or using google translate?

at the moment i am using my own script to translate the base files everything static then dynamic content is currently translated by google all of my static stuff has been translated by people from them countries and yes i agree with dave google has a knack of miss translating stuff sometimes but all static stuff is accurate as i paid people to translate that stuff for me that speak them languages but i am still browsing around to see if i can find anything better than google translate for the dynamic parts

and for the other servers i would never consider that option it is going to be 1 server only as i stated i really have a dislike for more than 1 server and if done correctly 1 server will suffice

google translator don't have lack, he just translate word to word and tries to give the sentences in the right order. I am French and i create my game in english and it is very hard to create a game without mistake. If you think english is complicate try to make no mistake in French. To have a good translate version, you need to rent a translator in a compagny to have warranty. Because if your translator make a mistake, user can make legal action on you.

How do you know he translate correctly if you can't read this language. This reminds me of a Chinese tattoo that this guy is doing on the arm believing the seller on the translation.

But it is all your choice, you make what you want ;)

If your game gets big you will need multiple servers, I would create a root directory, get a few domains or sub domains (nl.gamename.com) for example and depending on the prefix you could load that lang file.

The multiple servers mentioned above, is not actual "web servers", but "Game Servers", such as "Server 1" for english, "Server 2" for spanish. But in theory, use a different folder.

The multiple servers you have mentioned is for resource usage while the game stays on 1 folder.

The multiple servers mentioned above, is not actual "web servers", but "Game Servers", such as "Server 1" for english, "Server 2" for spanish. But in theory, use a different folder.

The multiple servers you have mentioned is for resource usage while the game stays on 1 folder.

yes i know what he means but thats what i dont like multiple game servers never liked it as the game would still function exactly the same and the language translation would be the same as what ive got now except it is just on base url and people can just select the language and translate the main site to the language of their choice

• 1 month later...

I think it's a great idea. Just make a translate button on the message it self.

Don't see a problem with: "pow, pow" or "poef, poef".

Just make shure people of different languages don't post in same forum or by language.

And if it's not your language, push the button and hope you can understand it.

This way your game has a lot more people in it. Than having a lot of games with small groups of people in it.

Specialy if you make it for little kids that can't speak english that good.

Good luck with your game.

Happy Hacking: Roger.