MakeWebGames

New Worlds Engine - Criticisms

sniko

Yes it was, it was also a little hint toward "guest" post. Anyhow thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, I read 'Guest' post. I disagree with him, as NWE has -somewhat- revolutionized the way most people on this forum think about programming, as they've mostly only experienced McCodes.

As for you, I ask on what level you can even try to comprehend my comments? From what I have seen from your work over the years (Remember your bank system for Amelie? Yes, I deleted it and re-made it because it blew donkey balls!) is on par what is expected of the MCcode programmers, so if you will, leave the conversation to the boys that understand it, ok?

Thanks for your time, folks.

Bringing the conversation down to a personal level is low, with your intellect I know you know this.

That system was made a while back, you know this.

I won't leave the conversation I made. Involving your name wasn't really an invitation to bombard.

Guest: I wonder why you even bother commenting on MWG, we seems to be anyhow all sub-par, right? Anyhow, to come back to a serious statement, you don't care to read the reasons? You maybe (quiet certainly) never saw the engine (full one) for more than 2 sec? You don't (clearly) know from what you talk about? So basically you are again just the same old flamer without much content. Sorry but the community don't need such things anymore. We have already an hard time to keep some discussion live, so if you come here just to flame, I will be forced to block your posts. Am I clear? And, just to make another point, this is not just due to your attacks to my work. So simply put, your attitude is simply too negative. So either change, and simply avoid to comment when you don't care or don't like, or at least offer some true CONSTRUCTIVE comments, or simply leave the board.

Who gives a damn? So due to that, you are going to spoon feed them low level programming, without any indication of what it's like to work at OOP level, just because they don't know how to right now?

With the same logic, Mccode should have never been released for the people who started to learn programming with mc code because they didn't know anything, at that point in time, right?

The logic should be to push the boundaries and force the people to learn, not keep in tune with the other inferior products just because it is what people have learned.

I stand by my original statement that your game code is poor and given your zend certification, I expect A LOT more from you.

This seems odd to me. PHP is not JAVA, Python or such languages. OOP is not something you have to use, and using it definitely does not make the difference between a good or bad program. If you don’t like the way it’s done that is fair enough. There are things in NWE I would never do in my own system, and although I have never seen any recent work from you (in fact just a few rather old mcc mods) the reasons you don’t like it seem to be just you holding a $100 script to a much higher standard then you should.

The target audience of NWE was not high level developers. The way it’s done makes it easy for people to use. It would be bad business sense to sell something confusing to such an audience when past experience, both shown with mccodes users (and let’s face it mcc is very basic looking next to NWE at first glance... has been said by several people) and elsewhere, show people just walk away and do nothing with it.

As far as spoon feeding people I am not exactly sure how you see NWE doing that.

Block my comments -- I'll have NWE global within the day. Have a nice day ;P

Don’t be childish. He asked you to be constructive rather than making generalized comments about the way the engine is done.

Sorry, but you should dig a bit more. I started to give negative comments a while BEFORE NWE. NWE is and was a reaction to the total lack of response and activity from CB and Dabs. I didn't started to flame McCodes after. I started to point out the lack of reactions, and lack of fixes before I even started the project. NWE is and was a way to resurrect THIS community. Do I have fun with it? Honestly not much. Do I gain money from it? Forget it. You think there is a conflict of interest? I wonder how, as my goal was and is still to try to keep this community alive. Did you do it mr I come first? Nope sorry, you disappeared multiple times, and honestly your contributions since the last couple of years are near 0.

Better formatting of NWE? Odd, I think it's perfectly formatted. Not Java style mind you, as I really don't like it. It's C# / C style

Bloated code? Odd, I have less code to do more than McCodes and many other engines.

Scalable? Is it not? I wonder how it would not be as we can basically add most if not all without touching the core.

The only things where you have a point are: OOP, and MVC. For both you had your answers which oddly you don't want to hear. If you have really the intention to help, you are more than welcome, and we can discuss how to improve things. If it's your usual: "all garbage", go away.

And, btw, you don't scare me. The rules stay: behave or be kicked. And this is not just to me, it's with anybody as your last posts you was more than aggressive with other people as well.

I find it quite ridiculous that you, A_bertrand, will ban or block Guest from posting due to his comments, which happen to be towards you or other people. I been reading, and do not like to post much, but I just found it quite ridiculous and dictatorial to say you will block someone just because they are negative or against the grain. Where is the freedom to say what you want these days? Everyone is so soft shelled that they can't take any beatings and get so defensive.

I have to agree with you, Peter. Threatening to ban someone because you don't like their opinion is one sure way to kill the forum that you, Alain, state are trying to keep alive.

If he were attacking you personally that would be entirely different ... he is not. He is not "flaming" you personally. Guest doesn't like your coding style or engine then that is his choice. Saying you will ban him because you don't like his posts brings the whole discussion down to a kindergarten level. That will surely keep the forum open.

I don't see his posts as being negative or flaming ... I see them as an opportunity for everyone to improve what they are doing. He has often posted solutions or helped others behind the scenes. And when you get right down to it ... isn't that what we are all here for. To learn. To help. To grow.

Helping is fine, not liking is fine as well. Everyone here can have his/her opinion (about NWE or me), however I just asked something which was to talk about something real and suddenly he started to insult sniko and someone. This is why I don't accept this kind of discussions. Look back a bit his posts and then judge.

BTW I did accepted many negative feedbacks from different people, did I banned anyone so far? (beside a lot of spam bots) Guest can be helpful, and next day just shoot randomly. It's not because the day before he helped someone that we must accept his random shooting day.

Odd enough one of the main complain people have about THIS forum is the negative comments they get, and on the other side the too many posts about "help I have an error" kind which is something like missing a ; at the end of the line. On other forums insulting others with comments like "because it blew donkey balls" (and no it wasn't directed to NWE) is not accepted, there is no reasons why we should accept them here. See my point?

Odd enough one of the main complain people have about THIS forum is the negative comments they get, and on the other side the too many posts about "help I have an error" kind which is something like missing a ; at the end of the line. On other forums insulting others with comments like "because it blew donkey balls" (and no it wasn't directed to NWE) is not accepted, there is no reasons why we should accept them here. See my point?

Then people are taking it personally as opposed to it being constructive criticism. In the situation you are pointing out ... again he is criticizing the code/mod rather than the person.

Obviously this is not something that we will agree on because people are too quick these days to take things personally rather than the intent behind it. Not too mention the political correctness that we must all submit to now. If people can't accept criticism as it was meant ... to help, to get people to think along new lines, to expand their knowledge ... whatever ... then perhaps they need to look elsewhere for their entertainment.

Constructive critic:

- Your code is insecure because you let the $_GET variable directly inside your query.

Flame / non constructive critic:

- Your mod is sh**, stop coding as even donkey are better.

See the difference? The second don't help you to grow ;) The first type of feedback is fine and do indeed help. The second is not, as it doesn't help you and just make the mood of the forum worse. I do accept that you don't always have time to make a full report, then simply state something is wrong and you will explain it later, or skip any comments. To be constructive a critic need to point you how to improve. Just saying it's bad is not constructive and therefore shall not be accepted here neither (and it's independent from who to who or on what).

I'm not a complete moron ... of course I see the difference. But each one of us has a different way of criticizing others. Guests' way is by being brutally honest and he holds back nothing. I get where you are coming from Alain ... but I would much rather see his type of honesty than others I have seen here.

Besides all of which ... you as mod have the capability of deleting out what you find offensive in a post. If something he says does not suit your sensibilities then fix it. Threatening to ban him just promotes dissension for nothing.

Guest: I take your advice about MVC, split logic and template system (all do basically the same, separate presentation from the code, which is certainly a good practice if not a must). I could point you once again about why I didn't took this road, but it seems that doesn't interest you. Anyhow, for me this is fine, I have no issues about my choice and why you think NWE is not good. Yet it's a bit different in saying it's insecure without any proofs... However I stay with my words about your manners: it's the way you say things which change. You may had a difficult environment, a very negative one, well I'm sorry for you, but we don't need to live all in jails. So please simply smooth out a bit your corners when posting on this forum that's all what I ask.

Editing other people posts to smooth their remarks... sorry but I'm not in a playschool where the teacher must correct little kids. Rules are valid for all, therefore don't be rude, that's all. On top of that, if I would start to edit other people posts you guys would say I'm censuring other people texts!

hmph -.- I'm highly insulted alain LMFAO I am far more in-constructive on this forum than he is and I've never been threatened to be banned lol. I even think NWE sucks and I've said for the exact same reasons. :'( WHAT MUST ONE DO TO BE HATED!!!! -.- It took about 2 posts for the ban threat...TEACH ME GUEST!!! I must learn the ways!!!!

Shut up and go make your dumb YouTube videos crying. What are you even on about?

Guest: I take your advice about MVC, split logic and template system (all do basically the same, separate presentation from the code, which is certainly a good practice if not a must). I could point you once again about why I didn't took this road, but it seems that doesn't interest you. Anyhow, for me this is fine, I have no issues about my choice and why you think NWE is not good. Yet it's a bit different in saying it's insecure without any proofs... However I stay with my words about your manners: it's the way you say things which change. You may had a difficult environment, a very negative one, well I'm sorry for you, but we don't need to live all in jails. So please simply smooth out a bit your corners when posting on this forum that's all what I ask.

Editing other people posts to smooth their remarks... sorry but I'm not in a playschool where the teacher must correct little kids. Rules are valid for all, therefore don't be rude, that's all. On top of that, if I would start to edit other people posts you guys would say I'm censuring other people texts!

Just to be noted, you can't really do "MVC" in php, however MVC-related solutions are often implemented, such as MVP. :)

Depends on what you consider production friendly. Here is my opinion:

I would say, NWE is nearly ready for a running game. Remains to setup rules and content. Also depending on the type of game you want you may need to develop some mods. For example, if your game is heavy on gang wars, then NWE is lacking currently. If your game is more on quest, NPC discussions, crafting, then NWE do have those. See?

On the other side NWE will help you with the administration side, with many tools there ready to be used, as well as the infrastructure which can help you to change the look, the texts and customize the engine to fit YOUR needs.

As I always said, if something is lacking, ask, and I shall do my best to implement it as long as it can be re-used by others as well.

omg. WHY oh WHY do you attack Alain. He is so good to all of us. I WISH I had people help me so much in normal life. He created a decent system. I am trying to warp it to my way of thinking but what two programmers think the same? Fo the most part he game me LOTS of things to think about. I think that is Alain's purpose.

So, Alain is awesome. To me at least. If you don't like what he has done, well go yell at Joomla people or something. I mean, get a life.

Greg (.net Programmer, in PHP, yet hitting head against wall!)