MakeWebGames

More stimulating discussions

At the moment, there's two reasons I'm here:

• I have an interest in creating web games,
  • I like to troll.

By the title of this topic, the reason behind this post should be somewhat clear.

I feel like no posts here stimulates developers that aren't beginners, and though I have nothing against beginners(lies, n00bs must die!), I would like to see more topics for developers who are intermediates and higher.

The topics here nowadays are mostly logic errors, something beginners are prone to.

But, these aren't interesting, and also most of these "problems" can be solved by a single word Google search.

I'm not trying to hold myself as a ninja programmer or something that may seem self-righteous, but I need something that keeps me wanting to come back here and discuss topics.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I've begun to discuss problems - even simple ones - in great detail. But, this has been to no avail, since it's simply ignored.

So, cross-roads, what do we do?

I don't have suggestions, but the MWG needs to do something - or else this forum is going to become (more of) a "noob" forum where the go-to guy is someone who just learned how to use printf.

Another thing I'd like to see more of, is a greater diversity of programming languages: because seriously, PHP isn't the only programming language out there, and it's by far not the best one either.

Aaaand... I'm done.

:) .. :confused: .. :(

We've tried to change it many of times, to no avail each and every time.

The problem: I think the problem is, there is not many members (in ratio to total members) that can provide topics and discussions of a more "stimulating" manner, and those that can don't because well they know there's not many that will understand,challenge or add to their theories/ideologies, it's a dim view, yet a true one.

But of course if the community is ever going to grow, something has got to change.

Diversity of languages:

Sure, but until there is a bit of content on another language there is very little point in have a board dedicated to it, otherwise we'd have a lot of empty boards.

There's an "other" category I'm sure, for things that don't have a place, if there's a rise in content for a specific language perhaps it'll get it's own board and the threads moved to it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599[/ATTACH]

tumblr_l311pcHUKf1qz7o2oo1_250.gif.2427d64bb956c983485eff899a61ad7b.gif

Edited by Djkanna

I myself am a begginer and learner but I feel if more "stimulating" topics were opened between the more advanced programmers on this forum discussing different languages in detail etc. Then I could learn from these types of topics as I am a keen learner and I am advancing in my skills at a quick rate. So not only would these discussions keep the advanced programmers happy, they'd also keep the learners happy resulting in a overall more happy enviroment!.

A wise man once said, "If you want it to get done, you have to do it."

He probably wasn't all that wise. Aphids were involved.

Here's a thought. Once you get past the methods... And, I mean, the real technicalities.. What's so "different" about different languages? Aren't we all one world? Aren't we all trying to say the same thing?

One world. ONE WORLD!

On the matter of stimulation..

Don't let us pitiful ol' no'bs stand in your way, oh leader of intellectual innovation.

This should tune you right up.

At the moment, there's two reasons I'm here:
  • I have an interest in creating web games,
  • I like to troll.

By the title of this topic, the reason behind this post should be somewhat clear.

I feel like no posts here stimulates developers that aren't beginners, and though I have nothing against beginners(lies, n00bs must die!), I would like to see more topics for developers who are intermediates and higher.

The topics here nowadays are mostly logic errors, something beginners are prone to.

But, these aren't interesting, and also most of these "problems" can be solved by a single word Google search.

I'm not trying to hold myself as a ninja programmer or something that may seem self-righteous, but I need something that keeps me wanting to come back here and discuss topics.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I've begun to discuss problems - even simple ones - in great detail. But, this has been to no avail, since it's simply ignored.

So, cross-roads, what do we do?

I don't have suggestions, but the MWG needs to do something - or else this forum is going to become (more of) a "noob" forum where the go-to guy is someone who just learned how to use printf.

Another thing I'd like to see more of, is a greater diversity of programming languages: because seriously, PHP isn't the only programming language out there, and it's by far not the best one either.

Aaaand... I'm done.

:) .. :confused: .. :(

I had actually notice you try and spark discussions on subjects however as much as i would have like to have seen it discussed it has personally had no interest to me.

Very much in the same way Alain did a short series of C# it was interesting for the read but nothing further purely as I do not have the time to get involved in it.

The few brief insights into something better which is usually posted by yourself, DJK, Guest or Alain is pretty much what keeps me here.

Edited by rulerofzu
Stated C++ instead of C# as i was too lazy to double check

I do have a mixed feeling while reading your (spud) and Guest posts. I shall try to explain why.

On one side, you are both right, the content / interest on the average posts on the forum are... low... to really low. Yet, even with such low interest posts, people find ways to bash others or even ways to not accept feedback.

On the other side, every time I tried myself to post things about some more advanced subject, being art creation, programming in other languages, or even different approaches of the same problem, the result was mainly => ignored. In the best case somebody started some rants or bash. Stimulating indeed to continue, right?

So how can we change the situation? Of course we could all leave MWG, and either meet on another forum, don't see each other anymore, or even create a new forum which shall all be better. I doubt that creating a new forum will bring much. Many tried, and... ended up with an empty forum for most. Going to a new forum where there is tons of discussions already, fine, but honestly, I have no time nor interest to jump on another boat, so without me, and somewhat I didn't saw yet any real interesting forum which talks about web game development. Game dev yes, but web game dev? not saw.

I would say, the first thing to do, is stop the bash, and be positive. Sorry Guest, but who cares if McCodes will or will not release a new version? Do you rely on it yourself? I doubt. Is it the only possible way to create a web game? for sure not. Even when I tried some times ago to start a collaborative development for an engine, the result was... near 0. Why? Because most of you "advanced" guy have either no time, nor no willingness to even check what other do, and certainly do think that they would do it better than what has been done. Yet with such kind of attitude, we go nowhere.

I would say, the issue is mainly an attitude issue. We should all try to avoid a simply bashing attitude, be more open minded, and agree to invest time on the community. You may ask why shall I do it? Well, if you are posting such posts is that somewhere / somewhat you are still interested in some sort of collaboration, otherwise you would have simply left the forums.

BTW Ruler Of Zu, my posts was about C# not C++, those are 2 different languages, like Javascript and PHP, and share... nearly not much(really as much as Javascript and PHP) ;)

Myself I'm willing to invest time as I always tried to improve things, to bring more content, and other, but I don't want to be alone, nor simply get a total 0 output from my trials. So please people, start posting and I shall contribute as well.

P.S. Ableton Live 8 is awesome, yet I would love to try to make one day a music composition soft myself.

I can certainly appreciate what has been said by spud and Guest (formerly known as Prince ... I mean SRB). When time allows I do look at forums and blogs for the latest topics being discussed. Obviously I don't comment on all them ... one ... because I usually have no idea what you are talking about ... which leads me to try and learn about it ... and two ... I don't always have the time to do so.

I have recieved some really great help and advice from the "oldtimers" here and even some of the newer folks (Seker). I try to research my errors etc as much as I can ... but not all things will have an exact match for what you are looking for ... hence the posts for help or at the very least ... a hint that points me in the right direction.

We all started out as newbs at one point ... it's interesting to watch people grow with each passing week as they learn.

I look back at some of the things that I had posted and shake my head, knowing what I know now about certain things ... not that that is anywhere near to what some of you know. I like to think that getting where I am going is due to by and large the assistance I have gotten from folks here. I'd hate to see that disappear.

I'd love to see more variations of programming languages, discussions, tutorials on these boards, whatever one sees fit basically. I think it's also clear that we've been open to new content, even if it is something totally else. The point is that I cannot provide it all. My knowledge is limited - certainly in the development area - and so is my time. If someone would like to start a new series on python, or a database system, or general management it is all fine and more than welcomed. You can even have your own board for that matter. The issue is though that the content needs to come from its members. A certain group of members might ignore the threads or just want to be spoon fed? Well, ignore them on your turn. They'll have to find it out on their own and they'll probably be happy that they can read your topics and they might learn something from it altogether.

Now spud, not to bash your suggestion - I'm on your side - but weren't you the one who was going to write a few topics about node.js and mysql? I'm sorry to say, but I haven't seen much of it yet.

On the matter of stimulation..

Don't let us pitiful ol' no'bs stand in your way, oh leader of intellectual innovation.

This should tune you right up.

Since we allow adult toys, I'm probably allowed to use adult words to describe my immediate feelings towards you..

Fuck you.

On the other side, every time I tried myself to post things about some more advanced subject, being art creation, programming in other languages, or even different approaches of the same problem, the result was mainly => ignored. In the best case somebody started some rants or bash. Stimulating indeed to continue, right?

So how can we change the situation? Of course we could all leave MWG, and either meet on another forum, don't see each other anymore, or even create a new forum which shall all be better. I doubt that creating a new forum will bring much. Many tried, and... ended up with an empty forum for most. Going to a new forum where there is tons of discussions already, fine, but honestly, I have no time nor interest to jump on another boat, so without me, and somewhat I didn't saw yet any real interesting forum which talks about web game development. Game dev yes, but web game dev? not saw.

I would say, the first thing to do, is stop the bash, and be positive. Sorry Guest, but who cares if McCodes will or will not release a new version? Do you rely on it yourself? I doubt. Is it the only possible way to create a web game? for sure not. Even when I tried some times ago to start a collaborative development for an engine, the result was... near 0. Why? Because most of you "advanced" guy have either no time, nor no willingness to even check what other do, and certainly do think that they would do it better than what has been done. Yet with such kind of attitude, we go nowhere.

I would say, the issue is mainly an attitude issue. We should all try to avoid a simply bashing attitude, be more open minded, and agree to invest time on the community. You may ask why shall I do it? Well, if you are posting such posts is that somewhere / somewhat you are still interested in some sort of collaboration, otherwise you would have simply left the forums.

You are right about this, and even I am guilty for behaving like this.

I've always believed that if kids(I'm still a kid also, in some ways) aren't stimulated with activities or fun and interesting things to keep them busy with, they start riots. This is in the form of outburst of irritation and ignorance.

I do agree that we should all invest more time into this community, especially those of us who have been here since it's - rather - early days.

Back then, there were still the occasional bashing, but we had an entire board for that, WarZone or something similar if I remember.

We got a lot of frustration out there, but that was a terrible idea at the end of the day, and probably the reason it was removed.

Simple things like contests really fire developers up, for some reason, and it's always been a great way for the community to interact.

Group competitions, although they rarely work, is also something fun to try out once in a while.

More intense additions to a forum are detailed debates and discussions, something very specific that the community feels they would like to know more about.

I remember I had a problem with OOP inheritance when I first started out, and an IRC discussion(followed by forum posts) cleared up a lot of the confusion I had.

But there is also a line between being a mentor, and spoon-feeding people.

At the end of the day, it's like being given maths homework, if you just copied the answers you will never learn anything, and most probably fail thereafter.

People need to take the basic steps themselves before anybody else can start/continue explaining further topics with them.

We all started out as newbs at one point ... it's interesting to watch people grow with each passing week as they learn.

I look back at some of the things that I had posted and shake my head, knowing what I know now about certain things ... not that that is anywhere near to what some of you know. I like to think that getting where I am going is due to by and large the assistance I have gotten from folks here. I'd hate to see that disappear.

I think this has to be one of the most truthful posts out there.

We all have someone to look up to, and in my case, say that one day, I'll be better than them.

That might be a bit competitive, but it's how I arrived to the point where I am today, and it's going to take me where I want to be in six months from now.

I'd love to see more variations of programming languages, discussions, tutorials on these boards, whatever one sees fit basically. I think it's also clear that we've been open to new content, even if it is something totally else. The point is that I cannot provide it all. My knowledge is limited - certainly in the development area - and so is my time. If someone would like to start a new series on python, or a database system, or general management it is all fine and more than welcomed. You can even have your own board for that matter. The issue is though that the content needs to come from its members. A certain group of members might ignore the threads or just want to be spoon fed? Well, ignore them on your turn. They'll have to find it out on their own and they'll probably be happy that they can read your topics and they might learn something from it altogether.

Now spud, not to bash your suggestion - I'm on your side - but weren't you the one who was going to write a few topics about node.js and mysql? I'm sorry to say, but I haven't seen much of it yet.

I agree that the content need to come from inside the community, but nobody ever wants to write a series or an in-depth, research and valid article for an audience of two.

node:

I didn't see much results from the effort I put in, and also not a lot of excitement on my part to continue the series.

I still posses the knowledge for the topics and still discuss it now and again, but I would continue to write for MWG if the interest ever arises from here again.