MakeWebGames

which is better

Raven1992

right i am thinking to change my computer and my operating system as i got payed from my job so what operating system or computer you would recomend me i got a windows 7 (Cracked) on my first computer but i am looking in more of apple products any advice would be nice

[video=youtube;njos57IJf-0]

Edited by Raven1992

I myself prefer mac over windows, ive owned several windows based pcs and it seems like I just burn through those real quick. Granted some programs run better on windows or some programs are just better for windows so I run parallels on my mac so I just switch screens "spaces" and bam windows 7

Well spudinski, the tools I use don't run on Linux, not unless you use visualization or wine (which honestly every time I try it, it fails). Same for the games, the games I play are not ported on Linux... So sure you find stuff on linux, never said it's not the case, simply it doesn't fit MY needs. Or not as desktop / coder. For the server part, I use linux and windows, for different kind of operations. Now I don't really want a flaming war Linux / Windows / Mac OSX, I would just say, it all depends what you do with your OS.

It's like for a car, maybe somebody needs a small city car, where somebody else needs a jeep for the desert. So unless you know how you will use the car, you can't say exactly which one is better. Sure the city car consume less fuel, but it will not survive long in a desert I believe.

BTW Softs I use:

- Modo 601

- ZBursh

- E-On Vue

- Live 8 - Ableton

- Visual Studio / C#

- Power Director

- Photoshop

Sure for some you may find an ok alternative (even open source), for others... nope.

Well spudinski, the tools I use don't run on Linux, not unless you use visualization or wine (which honestly every time I try it, it fails). Same for the games, the games I play are not ported on Linux... So sure you find stuff on linux, never said it's not the case, simply it doesn't fit MY needs. Or not as desktop / coder. For the server part, I use linux and windows, for different kind of operations. Now I don't really want a flaming war Linux / Windows / Mac OSX, I would just say, it all depends what you do with your OS.

It's like for a car, maybe somebody needs a small city car, where somebody else needs a jeep for the desert. So unless you know how you will use the car, you can't say exactly which one is better. Sure the city car consume less fuel, but it will not survive long in a desert I believe.

No flame war, I just wanted to hear the "MY needs" part from you.

check back.. I edited my post to show what kind of soft I use...

You might actually get better performance with CPU intensive software on Unix/*nix, which is why Mac is so popular.

Just for the fun of it, soft I use:

Sublime Text 2 (php procedural, python, javascript)

Eclipse (php oop)

vim / awk / sed (on server/ssh hot code edits)

Subversion

Chromium

Opera

Reminna

Node.js / Python / Bash (general purpose)

Though, job descriptions are worlds apart.

Well, normally if you have just raw CPU, linux should indeed be better as you could run without any graphics and just use the pure / full CPU. Yet that doesn't live up to the expectations as at the end many things count, like how good a compiler is (intel C compiler vs gcc for example) or MS, and how much a commercial software like Modo is optimized versus a free one like Blender. Also, oddly enough, now that Mac are basically intel based, the same softs (for example Modo) can be tested on both Mac and Windows... and from what I gathered, all seems to work better on PC than on mac. Could be again an issue with the compilers or others. I can't answer.

I built my computer, and I can confirm that you shall certainly get A LOT more for your money.

Yes, the OS is expensive but you make up your money through getting the actual hardware for cheaper. It is relatively easy to build, matching up the pins plus you can customize it more to your needs and in the future you can sell it as a 'Custom Built High End PC' and make more money from it than if you tried selling a stock PC :P

Get a cheap laptop/PC off eBay, and boost it up, if your good with PC engineering, my recommendation. :)

Just got a desktop from Ebay for my kids. AMD Bulldozer, 12GB ram, 500GB 7200rpm HD with a decent case, gigabyte mb and nice graphics card with windows 7 os. Less than £400 which compared to the costs for the bits individually was a nice deal.

I swapped out the PSU with a better one reducing the cabling and swapped the cpu fan also replacing the cheap compound with a higher spec to prolong the life of the machine.

I use windows 7 laptop for a number of work reasons non programming related its similiar to this one here http://www.notebookguru.de/en/Notebooks/Guru-STORM-IV.html with 2 x 360 SSD drives one for the os and one for programs.

You get what you pay for. Its best to look at benchmarks for your needs some i5 cpu's out perform i7 cpu's for example. Do your research and know what your looking for.

Just got a desktop from Ebay for my kids. AMD Bulldozer, 12GB ram, 500GB 7200rpm HD with a decent case, gigabyte mb and nice graphics card with windows 7 os. Less than £400 which compared to the costs for the bits individually was a nice deal.

I swapped out the PSU with a better one reducing the cabling and swapped the cpu fan also replacing the cheap compound with a higher spec to prolong the life of the machine.

I use windows 7 laptop for a number of work reasons non programming related its similiar to this one here http://www.notebookguru.de/en/Notebooks/Guru-STORM-IV.html with 2 x 360 SSD drives one for the os and one for programs.

You get what you pay for. Its best to look at benchmarks for your needs some i5 cpu's out perform i7 cpu's for example. Do your research and know what your looking for.

hum looks good for that price

Hard drive can be changed, even by you. Ram can be increased. If it's not a laptop you can easily change the graphic card as well. For the CPU, it all depends what kind of MB you have but I'm pretty sure you can change that as well. So basically just upgrade the pieces and you may as well continue to use your current system.

Hard drive can be changed, even by you. Ram can be increased. If it's not a laptop you can easily change the graphic card as well. For the CPU, it all depends what kind of MB you have but I'm pretty sure you can change that as well. So basically just upgrade the pieces and you may as well continue to use your current system.

This is why i went with the clevo laptop models. I can replace everything, motherboard, graphics, drives, cpu.