MakeWebGames

NWE self installing package

a_bertrand

NWE self installing package  

25 members have voted

1. 1. NWE self installing package

• Sure, it may help!
    • If people can't upload files, they should stop trying developping their game. So no!
    • It will not help much.
    • I don't care as I don't like NWE, nor I like you A_Bertrand.

Hi,

Many new php developers don't install a xampp or wampp on their PC and rely on remote servers to run their tests. Even if personally I think it's a very bad idea, that's a fact. Also, I saw that many had issues even to upload files and setup the rights for the folders. So I was wondering if I should make the installation yet even more... compact. Basically you would have 1 single PHP file to upload, which would uncompressed on the server and you would end up having the same stuff as you have yet. The advantage is that you upload a single file and not a good number of files and directories, also it would check directly if you have write access, and if yes create the directories with the correct rights. What do you think? Sure thing is, this file would not be all that small, and it will take time to make it really working well.

Im on the fence with this one cause it could go either way(for me that is). I use xampp for everything I do to test before I make it live. The one problem I see which is a problem I face is, if users cant upload files to their localhost what makes them think they can upload to a server installer or not? And also setting permissions, my xampp makes me set them to 777 or 775 or I cant access squat but on a live server they need/should to be 644 right?

Like I said, this is a problem I face and maybe its just me and something im doing wrong.

If you run xampp (apache, mysql on windows) you don't have normally any issue about file permissions as all is writable. On linux you shall give apache or whatever user you use to run the web server, the write permissions to the directory you want to write to. Here the installer cannot fix it for you, however it could point to some help pages for cpanel users, or others. On the other case, if the directory where the installer is, is writable, then the installer can create all the sub directories and setup everything correctly. In practice you would need to setup just one directory compared to the 5 you need currently. Would that make it work for all? No, for sure we will still find people not being able to do even such task.

I voted "if people can't upload....", but honestly if people are having problems because of the way NWE is currently setup (not that I understand how) then this is a good idea. Otherwise, if it's a failing on their part, you could spend you're time on other things.