MakeWebGames

Your favourite *nix family?

Nickson

Your favourite *nix family?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite *nix family?

• Debian (Debian, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mint...)
    • RPM (Red Hat, CentOS, Fedora, Mandriva...)
    • BSD (FreeBSD, NetBSD, ...)
    • Gentoo (Gentoo, Sabayon)
    • Slackware (Slackware, SUSE)
    • Arch
    • IBM AIX
    • Solaris
    • HP-UX

Well I assume most of you are familiar with working on some unix/linux/related distribution. I'm not sketching any situation, I'm not listing distributions either. I'm not asking which is the most secure, or the most stable. No I'm asking for your favorite for various use of tasks ;) whether it's for a server, a desktop or a laptop. What one is your favorite choice?

If I have forgotten any family you'd like to see listed or vote on, just post a reply, and I'll add it!

note: please take this grouping with a pinch of salt, also note that apple osx/ios and android aren't listed either while they could be added.

Im in the dark ages and i have to admit i dont think ive used any of them lol

Nothing to worry about illusions ;) I'm quite sure not everyone has used these systems enough to make a grounded choice. I myself doubt between debian vs RPM family, used both of those the most too...

Slack(er)/Deb/Gentoo for home use.

AIX, Solaris, HP(yuck, but you already know my opinion here)UX, for large server work

And i must say, nostalgy brings me to love BSD's :)

That's the whole list! What if all would be gone forever and you could only chose one? :-P

That's the whole list! What if all would be gone forever and you could only chose one? :-P

Is not the whole list but only the few best on each i've worked throughout the years!

But sill replying to your whinning :P, i must say the best all round for literally any use... BSD! You gotta love the devil ;)