MakeWebGames

NWE Contest - Win 50$ and a full version - No need to buy anything

a_bertrand

Hi,

To help you get familiarized with the engine, I propose a new mod development contest open to everyone (owners of licenses and not).

First of all, as you don't need to buy anything, I released today a totally free version of the engine which is basically the same as the dev version without the license. The difference between the free version and the dev version is that with the free version you are limited to use it as pure internal development version and you don't have the right to sell any modules where with the dev version you are allowed to.

The free version can be downloaded here:

http://www.nw-engine.com/nwe_free.zip

The contest:

Develop an unique module

Deadline: 10th June 2012

Submit the zip or the NWP (New World Engine Package) to: [email protected]

You are not limited to any number of modules you submit. However quality over quantity will make the difference.

Criteria:

Uniqueness / coolness / usefulness factors

Code quality (conformance to the engine, readability, etc...)

Judges:

To be defines yet, you will be informed before. Judges cannot participate to the contest, and cannot have private discussions about the contest during and before the results of the contest are public.

Prizes:

First prize: 50$ (paypal) and a full license of the engine

Runner-up: a full license of the engine

Cancellation:

The contest could be cancelled if we receive less than 5 modules to review.

You will remain sole owner / copyright owner of the module you develop, we will not use it otherwise that checking it for the contest. You may afterward sell or distribute for free any modules submitted during the contest. Further commercial (or non) development will afterward require a dev license, however the free license will remain for experimental and as "preview / test" of the engine.

Of course you can use this thread to discuss ideas, ask / give suggestions and post your work in progress if you want to.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to develop modules as a contest.

Also, how many module's allowed per user?

Another note is that, I personally would prefer to be the runner-up, more in it for the developer.

A good point in this would be to take all the potential modules, and allow the developer to sell them without the dev license. I mean, as far as i understand, your trying to build publicity. So a good point would be to allow the potential modifications to be sold, and only allow those one's to be sold. Then if they want to sell more, they would require the dev license.

HD: yes, leaving the modules developed during the contest open to the sale is a good idea will change now the rules. I simply don't want to let people use the free version to make money and therefore spoil those which supported the project by buying the dev or the full engine.

The runner up will actually have the same price as the winner... minus the 50$ so why going for the runner up? I hardly see the point here.

You are not limited to the number of modules you submit. However working on 100 different modules where you could invest your time on a couple well done is for me a bit of a shame. Also each module will be evaluated for itself (unless one module require another one) and doing many separated modules will not make you evaluated better.

As stated, the idea was to create the module for the competition and then once it's over you can put it on the marketplace. However yes I will accept modules you develop from now on even if you publish them on the marketplace before the deadline. However the module should be a new (not published till yet) module not something already existing on the marketplace.

Just so you know, when you create a new module it gives this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function CleanHookCache() in C:\xampp\htdocs\nwe\modules\admin_create_module\content.php on line 79

maybe it's something i did wrong,

EDIT: Also does this if i enable/disable a module.

Edited by booher

Ok don't worry, simply the dev engine is missing the function as there is no hook cache in it. You may fix yourself the problem by adding the following code in common.php:

function CleanHookCache()
{
}

I will release a new version today with the fix. Thanks for the report booher.

Ok don't worry, simply the dev engine is missing the function as there is no hook cache in it. You may fix yourself the problem by adding the following code in common.php:

function CleanHookCache()
{
}

I will release a new version today with the fix. Thanks for the report booher.

I had just removed all of the calls to that function in my copy ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...