MakeWebGames

Window 8 customer preview

a_bertrand

Microsoft released a customer preview of its incoming Windows 8:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview

You may download the ISO and run it in a virtual machine if you want to see how it look like. Honestly I doubt many companies will replace their windows 7 (or yet even older one) with the new Windows 8. The only benefit I can see is an unification of the interface / OS between tablet, phone and desktop. Sure it would be cool to have a unique OS to run all. Yet... honestly I don't care much about "touch" features on my desktop PC, nor I do care about "apps". What counts is office tools / developer tools. Where on my phone I would never install visual studio for example.

For me Microsoft did an odd bet with this OS, and I don't really know how the public will react.

The thing which hurts me more is the removal of the start menu... And the metro interface => totally useless to me.

But please share your mind ;)

Yes I'm more or less with the same feeling... and I don't actually plan to buy any PC / notebook and even less tablets.

For windows phone, Microsoft lost me as customer for the moment. I prefer Android and all the possible customizations even at the price of possible bad software.

Well I hardly see how windows 7 phones are better than android. The interface is fixed and you can't customize it. If you don't like it, out of luck. The hardware is... not the same generation as you could find on android. The app market is smaller, and for example the only map software (not online) seems a bit lame. Facebook integration (which is nearly mandatory), sorry I don't care as I don't have and don't want facebook, nor I do own a XBOX nor want one. Even smart dial is not present nor it can be installed. Overall really, beside being able to develop with C# I don't see any advantage on windows 7 phones. BTW you can develop with C# on iphone and android too now (via a 3rd party tool).

All that is my personal opinion and I fully understand that others do have another one ;)

well different profiles, different needs ;-)

Otherwise we would have only one kind and size of shoes!

But for me I simply when I'm at work I want to work, not have a cute screen (even if actually I don't like much the metro style). So having the functionalities is for me more important... and Win 8 actually fail there.

• 6 months later...

Why crack something when it runs for free? I doubt you have a cracked version of windows 8 as simply you can download it for free from microsoft. On the other hand, it doesn't require more resources than windows 7, and may be even a bit faster. Yet the metro interface is a pure pain, saying goodbye to the start menu is for me more than annoying, desktop widgets: too bad I use some, and... the new look and feel sorry I fell it worse than windows 7. So overall I don't see any advantages for me only drawbacks.

Haven't seen windows 8 or experimented with it

But i heard its turning out to be a vista and people are preferring windows 7

( Thats not about metro why i have heard that )

I have metro on the xbox 360 and it's alright, I dont notice it all that much

Until i know more, I will stick with my windows 7

We've got Win8 Consumer Preview on a flower pot at work.

Can't really speak for performance, as we're being quite brutal with the machine we gave it.

But I like the improved task manager, a big thumbs up from me there.

What I don't like is the whole metro thing, it's inconvenient to say the least.

Being used to Win7, I can't find anything - something as simple as finding Word is complicated for someone who's been using Windows for the past fourteen years.

I use windows 8 only because I couldn't be bothered to get my windows 7 disk from upstairs lol It's not bad to use but then it's not good from what I've seen if ur not using it touch screen it's kinda pointless and you may as well use windows 7 plus one thing that anoys me is I have 3 screens on my comp with the middle on my main if I want to get to the metro screen I have to hover the mouse in the bottom left of the middle screen and it is a pain in the ass to do.