MakeWebGames

Installing windows without a CD rom drive

ShadyCoco

Hey.

I've had some problems with windows 7 and virus's.

Last night, my laptop was somewhat attacked, my boot menu, and all files from my root deleted.

Leaving me with just hardware.

I had ubuntu on my USB still so installed that.

But my CD rom drive wont load any disk, media or installer.

My bios cant find my DC rom drive.

Is they anyway of installing windows XP or 7 from a USB like I have done with ubuntu?

Any help on this would be great indeed.

Here's something to quickly try:

1. Unplug computer, no power cables.

2. Look on your Motherboard for a small battery. It looks like one that's in a watch, usually near CPU or USB IOs.

3. Remove it.

4. Put it back it.

5. Boot computer.

That should reset your BIOS.

What you can try if that doesn't work, is check all cables. It might be possible that they are loose.

Also, you might want to check up on your PSU to make sure it's still in a good condition.

Hey.

Thanks for the replies.

Right so far I can only use my USB drives - it seems to be only the CD rom drive.

Are they any good methods for putting windows 7 or XP onto a usb flash drive or external HDD.

@Spudinski I've removed the battery many times now and my BIOS just goes to default settings (AKA only showing USB and HDD boot load options)

This is funny because I had exactly the same problem just this week. My Vista became corrupted and unbootable a few weeks ago, and I went and got Windows 7 just this week. Burned the ISO to a USB because the CD-ROM drive wouldn't open. It was a nightmare to install too, because I tried a few times to install from USB until I discovered leaving the USB inserted while Windows was running it's mandatory restarts during installation messed up the whole process. Once I figured that out, it was plain sailing lol.

This is funny because I had exactly the same problem just this week. My Vista became corrupted and unbootable a few weeks ago, and I went and got Windows 7 just this week. Burned the ISO to a USB because the CD-ROM drive wouldn't open. It was a nightmare to install too, because I tried a few times to install from USB until I discovered leaving the USB inserted while Windows was running it's mandatory restarts during installation messed up the whole process. Once I figured that out, it was plain sailing lol.

Lol simple mistakes like that have gotten me aswell. Really really annoying when something doesn't go according your way.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I know this idea we can install our windows by the support of USB drive and this is new trend introduces by a software develop company and i think this is very best and great idea to install your windows without the CD ROM support and you can easily install your windows with the USB support this si good way to install your windows in your computer i recommend you for this method

I know this idea we can install our windows by the support of USB drive and this is new trend introduces by a software develop company and i think this is very best and great idea to install your windows without the CD ROM support and you can easily install your windows with the USB support this si good way to install your windows in your computer i recommend you for this method

This thread is from last year Alexander.