sniko

Hackivist for the good?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Hackivist for the good?

• I am with Anonymous - Supporting what they do
    • I am with Anonymous - Supporting some of what they do
    • Against Anonymous

I have a question for the community....

I know there are many hacking groups, but i'm more focused on one at the moment - Anonymous

A little about the group

From what I have gathered - well, quite commonly known - they are politically driven, and they stick up for the people, who they feel are in the wrong, mainly, not government. They are very known for what they do and are quire feared as they have hacked many security firm databases and released information. They aren't afraid of the law.

The press release I am most focused on at the moment

This press release and protest is about Private Bradley Manning. You may have heard about this, or you may of not, but Anonymous are trying to free him from solitary confinement for giving evidence on 'collateral murder'.

Now, I think Anonymous are more than just a hacking group, but more [i don't know how to put it] standing up for what they think is right, and fighting against 'evil' or what is wrong in this corrupt world of ours.

So;

- Are you with Anonymous - Supporting what they do?

- Are you with Anonymous - Supporting some of what they do?

- Against Anonymous

Anonymous Websites

http://bankofamericasuck.com/

http://anonops.blogspot.com/

http://www.whatis-theplan.org/

http://twitter.com/#!/GroupAnon

I'm sure there are many more....

Thank you for reading

-sniko

Edited by sniko
Added websites

The Anonymous ethos is good and I support it. However, I don't feel they have had that much of an impact as most of their members are probably young teens who think they're hackers by downloading the LOIC... people that think Anonymous will ever have a major impact are naive.

@US Vice - True. But, the why on why they download the LOIC is how Anonymous makes an impact?

Exactly, there is only a limited amount of people who would be willing to download the LOIC so the impact is limited. Anonymous rely too much on DDoS, that's why they have little impact.

I don't generally support them. They claim to fly under the #anti-sec banner, but a lot of their targets have nothing to do with it. It just appears that they try to find whatever they can, hack it, and then try to pin it to something.

True. I don't support the hacking but the stories on their blogspot and the motive behind what they do in their press releases kind of makes me think they are bending the rules to do something that is right? Take Food not bombs story for example.

I don't support them.

me neither... there is other smarter way to change things...

I don't see the point in most of what they do. Take for example the sun website, what was the point of it? Seems childish if anything (click his 2nd link). Just something else to think about, people are getting to the ones behind the computers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14212110

I don't generally support them. They claim to fly under the #anti-sec banner, but a lot of their targets have nothing to do with it. It just appears that they try to find whatever they can, hack it, and then try to pin it to something.

Are these posts regarding Lulzsec or Anonymous? Or both?

I see 4 people voted against Anonymous, but have you looked at;

- Operation Manning

- Operation Food Not Bombs

- The Greece Revolution

- The Chile Thing

- Poor and Hungry

Admittedly no, I have not looked into them all. Let me ask a question, what difference did their involvement make?

Yes, they have some operations that do expose corruption in governments/companies (HB Gary), but they also have operations that seem to have no purpose other than to generate fame/hype, cause harm and discredit a non-corrupt company and its clients, and leak sensitive data (credit cards, account info, etc) of innocent people. Also, what greater good could come from DDoSing gaming servers?

Yes, they have gone about it the wrong way, if you look at it like that, but really, I think they did it the right way, they got their name in the news, they got their reasons in the news. Did you ever hear about some little letter in the news about it, no!

• 2 weeks later...

I would say those supporting them are either badly informed or do not think carefully enough. Tell me what good it does to give private info about police workers or FBI workers or whatever? What does it help to bring down sites like sony? Does it makes a better life for all of us? No. Simply it make people loose money if not risk more their life like in case of covered cases. Sorry I don't think this is the way to act. Now if you talk about people going to try to save whales or other speices I could understand, but what's the goal of anonymous? Fight the evils? Make some rich people loose some money? Annoy a LOADS of people? Sorry this is just KID play.