MakeWebGames

MC Redux various issues.

Xukusari

I bought MC Redux recently as a way to learn some new coding(it's also been a dream I've had since I was like 16), however every time I turn around I find a new problem. I test out a new feature on the website and there's a new problem. There's issues just about everywhere.

1. Cron's. I know this is probably really nooby/stupid of me to ask, but these are confusing. My host told me to use cronjobs, so I did, still not working. They told me I could also just use my Crons folder, but if I do that where do I put the commands?

I was simply epic failing at doing crons, there were a few pieces of coding I didn't know and I also didn't know how to use the security code.

2. Crimes.

Fatal error: Call to undefined method database::fetch_array() in /home/street29/public_html/Mods/docrime.php on line 20

$r = $db->fetch_array($q);

Line 20 of docrime.php

Fixed, just had to change a few lines of code.

3. During attacks it shows a few lines of text saying I lost all of my experience for running away from a fight. That would be fine if I had actually ran away, which I hadn't.

Really odd lines of coding on one of the main pages was causing this. There really wasn't a reason this was in there.

Edited by Xukusari

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These aren't really issues,they're just simple things you'll be able to fix once you have the basic knowledge of programming. The real isses with any engine is security and stability/performance, I think redux stilll has some performance issues.

These aren't really issues,they're just simple things you'll be able to fix once you have the basic knowledge of programming. The real isses with any engine is security and stability/performance, I think redux stilll has some performance issues.

A game engine should work out of the box without errors, so yes they are issues as well (not sure about #1 as it could be lack of knowledge to run crons on his part).

I agree with Diesl.

No.1 Sounds like you dont know how to setup crons. This would be done in your webhost's control panel.

The rest are engine errors and shouldnt be there. As you have purchased the engine you have 30 days support so head back to mccodes.com login and submit a support ticket.

I just hope that they are updating the engine as tickets come in and get resolved or this could get old real quick.

I agree with Diesl.

No.1 Sounds like you dont know how to setup crons. This would be done in your webhost's control panel.

The rest are engine errors and shouldnt be there. As you have purchased the engine you have 30 days support so head back to mccodes.com login and submit a support ticket.

I just hope that they are updating the engine as tickets come in and get resolved or this could get old real quick.

Good luck with support....This is the response I got:

MCCode Redux (v2.5) does run on a slightly different engine structure compared to V2.0.3. However the mods should still work if it is installed correctly - the code side of things is still compatible in v2.5. We would recommend you study the engine structure more and install.

Do not hesitate to ask for any assistant/help or have any questions.

Should of saved my 40.00 and caught it on fire. Redux is more screwed up than Lindsay Lohan. I'm not even going to use it. Obviously not a "complete game engine right out of the box" as advertised. I'm sticking to v2.03. At least I have that so It actually works......almost.

It sounds like he was unsure of how to add 3rd party mods (since one of it's selling points was “compatible with all current mccodes mods”) and they simply told him it was his own knowledge of the engine that made it difficult.

Suggestion for mccodes : add a tutorial to show people how to do it...

As for what shad said... no offense but it should work out of box since mccodes own sites says -

Out of the box game

@ original poster – all the errors pointed out there (and more) were pointed out here - http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/38994-MCCode-engine-Redux – and they still went ahead and released it without fixing the bugs. Kind of disappointing in my opinion. File a support ticket... if that fails post each problem and people should help.

@ comments on 2.03 – there are still small issues, but I guess nothing in it that amounts to massive threats just inconveniences when the pages don't work the way you would want them to.

Edited by Dominion

@ original poster – all the errors pointed out there (and more) were pointed out here - http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/38994-MCCode-engine-Redux – and they still went ahead and released it without fixing the bugs. Kind of disappointing in my opinion. File a support ticket... if that fails post each problem and people should help.

That is pretty damn poor. In fact its just lazy.

It sounds like he was unsure of how to add 3rd party mods (since one of it's selling points was “compatible with all current mccodes mods”) and they simply told him it was his own knowledge of the engine that made it difficult.

Suggestion for mccodes : add a tutorial to show people how to do it...

As for what shad said... no offense but it should work out of box since mccodes own sites says -

@ comments on 2.03 – there are still small issues, but I guess nothing in it that amounts to massive threats just inconveniences when the pages don't work the way you would want them to.

Yes, I was unsure of how to add mods because it is nothing like v2.03.

I second this : Suggestion for mccodes : add a tutorial to show people how to do it...

I also purchased redux and I found I have the exact same problem with the OP's issue #2. Crimes do not work out of the box. I get the same fatal error with line 20. I also noticed that you cannot edit or delete the default city but I just went into the MySQL database and changed it there. Let's see, what else have I found so far ... well shop description just displays the shop name in the game so there is some recoding needed there. Sometimes get an invalid item ID when you try to use an item like a drink. There are probably more but I haven't gotten that far into testing it 8^)

I should have just developed and fixed version 2.0.3 but I held off waiting for this version so I will move forward with redux. As far as support tickets .. submitted two so far a couple days ago and I have yet to get a reply. I will probably get better support just posting the issues here 8^)

Unfortunately I purchased version 2.0.3 a couple months ago and I played with it but never bothered developing it much because of all the hype for Redux and the going on and on about how it would be out soon. I figured I was better off waiting and then developing the new version. Now I look at it like I wasted a couple of months that could have been used developing a game from version 2.0.3. Hopefully they fix some of these issues but I won't hold my breath.

Eww. I purchased a license, but glad I didn't bother with 'redux' now. Sounds like a bit of a money grab with lack of backwards mod compatibility in some cases and bug issues.

I think money grab is harsh. If they get their documentation, and others stuff in it (how it install mods, whats changed etc...) it has great potential. Just needed a little more work by the sounds of it.

Well...shouldn't that documentation come with it for $120 (or even $40 more tacked onto a purchased license)? Maybe i'm being petty, but with even stuff that used to work out of the box (crimes, etc) throwing errors, and reported bugs being basically ignored on release despite a long timeframe...just seems a little weird.

Yes it should have documentation

No it should not have any errors and any errors should be fixed and everyone who has purchased notified of the fix and the download replaced so all new purchases do not suffer the same problem.

This is why it was suggested that a rss feed be done to the admin area (MC3 suggestion) so that anyone who has purchased could be informed.

Simple business practise. But then again having looked briefly through most of the code your better off going with 2.0.3 and saving yourself $20 as there isnt that much in it. I expected more to have been done but to be frank its laughable.

Edited by rulerofzu
not almost laughable it is laughable

Well...shouldn't that documentation come with it for $120 (or even $40 more tacked onto a purchased license)? Maybe i'm being petty, but with even stuff that used to work out of the box (crimes, etc) throwing errors, and reported bugs being basically ignored on release despite a long timeframe...just seems a little weird.

No your not being petty, I 100% agree with you. All mccodes engines have little to no documentation, and it just leads to people being confused. It's what i meant by shorting it out.

I also purchased redux and I found I have the exact same problem with the OP's issue #2. Crimes do not work out of the box. I get the same fatal error with line 20. I also noticed that you cannot edit or delete the default city but I just went into the MySQL database and changed it there. Let's see, what else have I found so far ... well shop description just displays the shop name in the game so there is some recoding needed there. Sometimes get an invalid item ID when you try to use an item like a drink. There are probably more but I haven't gotten that far into testing it 8^)

I should have just developed and fixed version 2.0.3 but I held off waiting for this version so I will move forward with redux. As far as support tickets .. submitted two so far a couple days ago and I have yet to get a reply. I will probably get better support just posting the issues here 8^)

If you want the fix for this problem send me a private m essage a friend helped me solve it.

docrime.php

Yeah i just noticed the crimes issue myself, lol didn't even notice it on the sample they released so im not surprised they missed it since we (us lot) did the bug testing aswell

docrime.php:

<?php
/*
Engine: MC V2.5 (Redux)
File: docrime.php
Author: mccodes.com
*/
if ( !defined($_CONFIG['define_code']) ) {
  echo 'This file cannot be accessed directly.';
  exit;
}
    if ( $ir['jail'] or $ir['hospital'] ) {
  echo 'This page cannot be accessed while in jail or hospital.';
  die($h->endpage());
    }
	$_GET['c'] = ( isset($_GET['c'])&&is_numeric($_GET['c']) )?abs(intval($_GET['c'])):'';
         if ( empty($_GET['c']) ) {
  echo "Invalid crime";
         } else {
  $q = $db->query('SELECT * FROM `crimes` WHERE `crimeID` = '.$_GET['c']);
      if ( $db->num_rows($q) == 0 ) {
  echo 'Invalid Crime';
  die($h->endpage());
      }
  $r = $db->fetch_row($q);
      if($ir['brave'] < $r['crimeBRAVE']) {
  echo "You do not have enough Brave to perform this crime.";
      } else {
     $ec="\$sucrate=".str_replace(array("LEVEL","CRIMEXP","EXP","WILL","IQ"), array($ir['level'], $ir['crimexp'], $ir['exp'], $ir['will'], $ir['IQ']),$r['crimePERCFORM']).";";
     eval($ec);
  echo $r['crimeITEXT'];
     $ir['brave'] -= $r['crimeBRAVE'];
  $db->query("UPDATE users SET brave={$ir['brave']} WHERE userid=$userid",$c);
    if ( rand(1,100) <= $sucrate ) {
  echo str_replace("{main}",$r['crimeSUCCESSMUNY'],$r['crimeSTEXT']);
     $ir['main']+=$r['crimeSUCCESSMUNY'];
     $ir['second']+=$r['crimeSUCCESSCRYS'];
     $ir['exp']+=(int) ($r['crimeSUCCESSMUNY']/8);
  $db->query("UPDATE `users` SET `main` = {$ir['main']}, `second` = {$ir['second']}, `exp` = {$ir['exp']},`crimexp` = `crimexp` + {$r['crimeXP']} WHERE `userid` = $userid",$c);
  if($r['crimeSUCCESSITEM']) {
     item_add($userid, $r['crimeSUCCESSITEM'], 1);
  }
    } else {
   if ( rand(1, 2) == 1 ) {
  echo $r['crimeFTEXT'];
   } else {
  echo $r['crimeJTEXT'];
  $db->query("UPDATE `users` SET `jail` = '$r[crimeJAILTIME]', `jail_reason` = '$r[crimeJREASON]' WHERE `userid` = '$userid'");
   }
    }

echo "<br /><a href='".gen_url('docrime',true)."&c={$_GET['c']}'>Try Again</a><br /><a href='".gen_url('criminal',true)."'>Crimes</a>";
      }
}
?>

Is it really? Surley there wouldnt be errors if it was done 'properly'

Hey at least there is someone giving support...

Yeah i just noticed the crimes issue myself, lol didn't even notice it on the sample they released so im not surprised they missed it since we (us lot) did the bug testing aswell

well... if the demo had any crimes in it we may have been able to test it? I did point out a large number of things that are still not fixed... big bugs? No, but still bugs.

Some more trouble tickets submitted and still waiting for a reply to the first ones. So far issues I have found are:

The crimes fatal error, Invalid Item ID errors when trying to use an item other than a weapon, Shop Description just copies the Shop name so the description field is invalid, cannot edit the default city unless you change it in the MySQL database and I'm sure there will be more but I am working on fixing the current found issues first before I find more. I'm not relying on the so-called support since a no reply in 4 days is not in my opinion good support at all. A simple "we are aware of your issues and are working to find fixes" would suffice just so I know they are active and not just taking money. By the time they do answer my 30 days will have expired 8^)