MakeWebGames

Firefox 4 - released

a_bertrand

You may already download it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mozilla-firefox-final-4.0-download,12427.html

It's the final finally! But... what should I say? It look as any of the release candidate I tried so far.

So here is my review:

Firefox 4 is fast, but Firefox 3.6 was fast enough for me (yes I know it's slow when you check the benchmarks). Memory usage seems a bit the same as before, as well as most of the browsing doesn't seems so much different to me. I miss the status bar... Don't know how to bring it back. Something I really don't like is the look & feel. It doesn't look better than the older version, actually for me it's uglier than before. First thing I directly changed is the menu bar, as the mini menu bar doesn't have even 50% of the options as the old one.

Over 3D acceleration, it seems that by default it is disabled and that you must configure it via the about:config trick. Or at least it seems so to me. That seems to be an odd choice. Tabs are also not as well handled as in IE, and the search is still split from the url.

Overall I'm not 100% enjoying the upgrade, actually I don't find it a better version than the previous one and for me it seems they just ran after the competitors (IE and Chrome).

My firsth thoughts of Firefox 4 was "Hmmm this is unlike a Firefox browser"...

But after a couple of hours using it so on getting use to it, It actually isn't a bad web browser at all, Yes it has 1/2 things that could be improved, But everything can be improved nothing is perfect..

I Would say Mozilla have done a great job with this browser, and i hope they can keep the good work up for future releases...

Firefox feels to much like Chromium now, even more so when you look at comparing it to RockMelt.

well quite honestly upgrading from 3.6 to 4, did change some things, but overal it stayed the same for me with just a few quick changes. For instanced, my tabs are still at the good ol' place ;)

I mean it isn't personal, but it is the same with other browsers! I mean Internet Explorer 9 and Opera 11 remind me of Chromium as well as Firefox 4. The only one that I can see that has stuck to the looks out of grade A browsers, it will have to be Safari...