MakeWebGames

Paid modifications

SlimyStud

I think MWG needs to implement some kind off 'code quality check' over paid modifications.

There is nothing to stop anyone selling poorly made scripts to the users here, i think we need to implement some kind of system where as ever paid modification is reviewed by a member of staff to ensure the code is worthy of being sold.

I'm not saying make sure it works ect ect (all though it would be a good thing.) just checking the 'quality' AKA the HTML markup,PHP quality SQL quality.

Not only will this stop end users getting bad value for there money but also gives the end user more confidence buying from mwg programmers as it gets a 'mark of approval' from staff.

Hmm, i think not. Its a good idea, until you implement it. What if no staff are online. What if a staff member cant code? Take the two active admins, A_b and nick, they both have projects of their own, why should they waste their time, and money, by checking a mod.

Just by mods from people that are respected. Or, buy custom mods of the thing you want, even if it costs more than from an person who cant code that well.

Well, let's say admin (for example Nick and I) review codes and give a negative feedback, then what happens? The buyer should not pay? Also, we don't have all here the same skills, so something which for me would be not really good for some others it is already fine, how can we judge? Finally, would this service just a nice thing from us or a payed service? Let's say 10$ for 100 lines of codes to check? And who pay it? The buyer or the seller or 50% / 50%?

I don't think it is a bad idea, but some stuff need to be discussed I believe. Also I don't know yet well enough McCode to be able to evaluate how something will work or not or if it may introduce some security issues with some other mods / pieces.

But let's say I'm not completely closed to the idea, and we could act like a payment gateway, we do get the code, and say to the buyer the code is there and has been checked, then when the payment is done we hand over the code.

Well what about a more simple solution in the form of us having to enable any posts in the paid mods section? What I mean by this is simple, if we feel that a post has not got enough description or lacks screen-shots and/or a demo we don't enable it. Mwg has the feature as it's already in use on a few members. Failing the ability to post a demo or sufficient evidence of quality they then have to post a small snippet. To be honest the easiest solution would be to say you have to post at least one free mod (or something on the forum) to show you capabilities before being allowed to sell if you can not provide a demo.

In my opinion anything we do should still allow the users the ability to judge the mod for themselves. This is why in my opinion a snippet , demo or previously posted mod should be available for the member to view the quality in code.

I think this would be a really great idea, however, there really is no way of monitoring this. Who would do it? When? Etc.

As Danny suggested bye from those that you know are trustworthy.

No two programmers will write their code in the same way, which alone could cause someone to think that it is not done right, or to their standards. From what I have seen so far ... if there is a problem with a paid modification most will troubleshoot it for you at no extra cost. If they do charge you extra for it .. then post it so that others will know that the person you bought it from is not 100% reliable.

There are often free mods available that you can customize to suit your needs ... if not then hire someone to create the mod for you. There are lots of people here who are willing to help you with that for a price. Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for ... the more complicated, the more expensive it will be.

There are many threads here that will help you too find someone that is trustworthy and willing to help you.

You can always try your hand at it as well (creating your own). If you run into difficulties ... post it ... there are tons of people here that are willing to help you. Trust me ... I know.

Thanks to all who are willing to help with their time to us newbs in php.

Why should one place what over everything and babysit pretty much, i feel like if you are paying for a paid modification you should do the research in who you are dealing with. Take a risk or go with someone you know, bad business deals happen all the time. The real way of stopping it is don't do business with people you are not 100% sure about, if they don't do well. Never go to them and leave a bad feedback.

The main thing you could do before purchasing anything, is request a demo. I'm sure most people selling scripts would be more than happy to do this. From the demo, you could intensively test it, or ask someone with more knowledge to test it, and see if it works to the way they have advertised it. If they refuse to post a demo, you know not to buy from them. :)

Demos don't prove much, only that it works.

This could be done by using a emulator of sorts, but the main thing is that MCCodes does not provide sufficient pre-written functions for users to use so everyone creates their own.

Without a standard, there is no way anyone can tell if it is actually created "correctly". You will have to go through each and every line of code and test it yourself.

And then also, what about people that does not want to disclose their work? What about people the people that does not want this? Will they be forced?

I say no, this is really not a good idea. If you want something done proper, have it done by the proper people with the necessary skills - else it is YOUR problem.

A website owner should request the developer's portfolio, and request signed testimonials and similar. If people want to go around looking for the cheapest bidder, then they are truly expecting the poorest from the start.

Demos don't prove much, only that it works.

It does if you spend time testing for errors yourself. This does require some knowledge, however it does give something.

This could be done by using a emulator of sorts, but the main thing is that MCCodes does not provide sufficient pre-written functions for users to use so everyone creates their own.

Without a standard, there is no way anyone can tell if it is actually created "correctly". You will have to go through each and every line of code and test it yourself.

This is why I said about have to post a free mod first. Well I agree there is not a set “standard” it is more then possible to see difference quality from two different codes. It is only php, and php does have some standards on how to deal with things.

And then also, what about people that does not want to disclose their work? What about people the people that does not want this? Will they be forced?

That is a big issue, however also could easily be solved by allowing people to see previous work. All the user needs is an example of who they are buying from. Short of seeing the whole source to the mod they are buying we can not stop bad code being sold, however as I said before it needs to ultimately be a users decision what they buy.

A website owner should request the developer's portfolio, and request signed testimonials and similar. If people want to go around looking for the cheapest bidder, then they are truly expecting the poorest from the start.

This is why posting something first could help. ;)

Like I said, a demo gives you the opportunity to see the file and test it out, using exploits. If you personally don't know any, there are many people on here who could run it through the mill.

"Disclosing their work" ... this I don't get. Really? What's their ad gonna say? "Selling mod. $10. You have to buy to find out what it is." Come on.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally dont sell many mods but id be glad too have any of my Paid mods reviewed before being able to post on the Paid Mods Section.

If a coder is worthy of their script they shouldnt feel threatened by someone reviewing it cos to me that would mean positive feedback from the reviewer and granted if they say its crap only you know and cant post your mod on the Paid Mods section..

First of all, I have only read this thread quickly, but I do have some remarks on everything that has been posted.

- If we have to review each and every mod in detail it will take quite some time for those involved.

- Everyone has a different style and approach

- A demo site provided by mcc will probably not work, just think of it when all those mods will be installed on the very same site.

Al in all, we could set up some basic standards/requirement a paid mod should meet before being accepted by us. Like install instructuins, screenshots, and so on.

We could also give it some sort of "seal of approval" meaning it works, not that it has been written perfectly, just that it works.

And if we wish to go any further we could divide it into different categories/ratings for instance Mod A has been approved, is PHP-OOP while mod B has been approved is not PHP-OOP but is xhtml valid... Things like these either are or are not, so no favor could be gained by being a friend of one.

I always go by a get what you pay for type deal.

If you pay 3.00 for an advanced modification, where others may charge 20.00

Chances are it's A. Stolen. B. poorly scripted. or C. a scam.

Buy from known programmers, or programmers who have shown several examples of there work, be weary if the price sounds " to cheap "

I always go by a get what you pay for type deal.

If you pay 3.00 for an advanced modification, where others may charge 20.00

Chances are it's A. Stolen. B. poorly scripted. or C. a scam.

Buy from known programmers, or programmers who have shown several examples of there work, be weary if the price sounds " to cheap "

True but this is not very easy for a new member to find out directly. And it wouldn't hurt for MWG to keep an eye on these kinds of things, after all we make it possible ...

So I do think we should monitor this more closely.