MakeWebGames

Text Editors

I'm curious as to what you all use for editing text. Currently, I use Crimson (Emerald) Editor, Notepad++ and GVim, depending on what I am working with. Crimson is the most common choice though.

Has anyone come across a really good editor with full regex support?

For example, I would like to search/replace (\d*\.\d{0.8})(\d*) and replace it with the first group ( or \1 ) (for those of you unfamiliar with Regex, this would truncate any numbers within the file to 8 decimals)

I was able to do what I was after with a couple of other tools, but a single tool would be preferable.

I use gvim too, and gvim has regex search/replace, doesn't it?

vim does have regex search to a degree, but it is a limited set, that or it requires special notation. (I'm still learning how to use it and I've been using it for 3 years now! :p)

it could find a digit, followed by a decimal point, followed by a digit (/\d\.\d), or any literal combination of (/\d\d\.\d\d\d\d) but when I tried looking for 1 or more digits (/\d*) it always found the next character.

It is entirely possibly that I did something wrong and gvim could do what I was after. I do know it can replace with a backreference.

Same is true of Crimson Editor and Notepad++, both could find the pattern I was after if I kept it literal, but when I added the bits to make it variable, the search failed. I am not sure if either of them allow a backreference replacement either.

I will have to look into Zend IDE, considering 2 people have already mentioned it.

PS....here's a fun vim command: g/^/m0 :p

Anyone else have any other good text editors they use?

All the votes for Zend Studio.....too bad its a paid IDE...

So far, the editors mentioned that I am aware of (Crimson and N++) use the Scintilla Regex engine, which is a little more restricted than the full specs.

Vim is a little more comprehensive, but they changed some of the notation. All 3 were able to do what I was after with just a little bit of digging. It's kind of frustrating when a Regex you know is correct isn't quite right in a different program.

I saw that Zend is based on the PDT platform for Eclipse. I haven't played around with it yet though.

Crimson Editor has served me well for PHP. In fact, the question I posted had nothing to do with PHP or even programming really.....rather fixing a data file that had too many decimals for a program to handle.

pnotepad (its free)

features:

* Syntax Highlighting for lots of languages, configured with schemes

* Multi-language user interface

* Unlimited number of schemes supported, powerful syntax

highlighting supporting both user-defined and built-in schemes

* Text Clips provide smart templates for text insertion

* Code Folding/Outlining

* Docking windows for: File Browser, Open Files, Text Clips, Tool Output, Find in Files results

* Regular expression search and replace (full perl syntax)

* Excellent external tool support with user-configurable

output matching – click on errors and warnings to jump right to

the place in the file where they were generated

* Split Views

* Bookmarks (both numbered and plain)

* Export to HTML (using CSS) and RTF

* Code definition browsing and navigation (using Ctags)

* Non fixed-width font support

* Projects and Project Groups with multi-level folders and file system mirroring

* Scripting with Python

* Extensions support for developing add-ons with C++

* Support for UTF8, 16 and various file encodings

* Support for windows, unix and macintosh line endings

* Tabbed MDI interface, with multi-level split views

* Word-wrapping

Programmer's Notepad

• 1 month later...

Openkomodo / KomodoEdit, cross platform IDE which is free. I first used a lot of different thingies as well. Now, I'm quite glad with this one. I can do a load of other stuff as well which I'm not going to list here.

There is also a large version of the IDE which is a paid version, but the free one is quite good honestly. The only thing I kinda miss is the overview of functions within a class or file, like gedit has (I can't say the name of this feature as I can't name it right now, sorry :()

Ref: http://www.openkomodo.com