MakeWebGames

Freelancers

Sim

Are there any other freelancers out there that there so busy they never get the time to work on personal projects?

Im not complaining, but whats your solution? Im thinking about taking one day a week to dedicate to my own projects.  This would give multiple hours/day instead of a hour or so/day. The majority of the work i do, will end up bring apart of my game one way or another which is why I'm not complaining, but with not a lot of time for my own personal projects, im having difficulties piecing it all together.

I think it's going to be time to get out the good Ole pen and paper. This makes things go smoother for me.

Edited by Sim

1 hour ago, sniko said:

Organise your calendar by hours and not days instead

My regular day job(NOT COMPUTER RELATED) hours are very random, but consistent. Mon-Fri I get picked up anytime from 6-8am and get home most of things from 1-4, but sometimes i might not get home till 5-7. Then i work almost every Saturday. Same hours, but %50 of Saturdays home around noon. Ive worked 20 of last 25 Saturdays. For someone like me it's hard to schedule anything by hours i would say. But i do alot of coding while driving in between service calls.

On 2/1/2021 at 5:01 AM, Sim said:

Are there any other freelancers out there that there so busy they never get the time to work on personal projects?

Im not complaining, but whats your solution? Im thinking about taking one day a week to dedicate to my own projects.  This would give multiple hours/day instead of a hour or so/day. The majority of the work i do, will end up bring apart of my game one way or another which is why I'm not complaining, but with not a lot of time for my own personal projects, im having difficulties piecing it all together.

I think it's going to be time to get out the good Ole pen and paper. This makes things go smoother for me.

Yes absolutely, I'm not a freelancer by any means but still work many hours a week ( effectively doubled since C19 ) - so not much free time for personal projects. 

Much like Sniko's suggestion I do often organise my calendar by hours rather than days, especially if you don't work fixed hours but randomise week to week. 

If this isn't possible or you work fixed hours, set aside some time consistently week to week for your personal projects, but also make sure you get some downtime also ( burn out isn't fun ). eg: Tuesdays 7-9 dedicated time to personal projects. 

Obviously it all changes and varies due to personal commitments, social life etc.