MakeWebGames

SEO - Where to start?

Zettieee

I'm no SEO expert; however, meta tags are certainly a good place to start. Setting "keywords" in those tags that relate to what your site is about. If you have a "Web Game", then have a key phrase of "Web Game" somewhere in a tag. Things like that.

~G7470

Search engines use meta tags to get an idea of (hopefully) what your site is about. So to go off of the example I gave [uSER=69001]Zettieee[/uSER], if I type into Google "Web Game", if I have a meta tag with "Web Game" in it, the site is going to be in the results. Will it be on the first page? Highly doubt it (as they use the site's popularity and page content to rank them in the results), but it will be in the results somewhere. If you want your site to be high up in the results, either A) use keywords that are not very commonly searched (which is counter-intuitive for SEO), or B) use other SEO techniques, which again, I'm no SEO expert, so I'm not sure what those might be.

EDIT: Also, if you're one that advertises your site outside of word-of-mouth, meta tags are used on social media sites as well. If you copy/paste a site's URL into Facebook for example, the value of the meta tag's "description" field will fall underneath the site's title on a "tile" link (if you're on Facebook, I hope you know what I mean by that - I don't know the term for it!).

~G7470

Alright guys. I posted this up to see if boionfire81 would bother to reply.

I helped him in almost all his posts. I gave him a day to login and reply. He logged in and didn't bother.

Guess who isn't get any help from me :)

//sorry to waste some peoples time but I guess we all learned something.

• Like 1

Well, it looks like some people have found interest in this topic, so I wouldn't say that my time was wasted providing what I knew about it. Maybe others will see this topic and contribute - who knows.

~G7470

I helped him in almost all his posts. I gave him a day to login and reply. He logged in and didn't bother.

You gotta give back what you take. It is a community after all.

cc: [uSER=72582]boionfire81[/uSER]

Meta tags are ok, but basically an outdated practice. I'd start by analyzing your code to text ratio. Set up a robots.txt file (even if only to say allow all). Create an xml sitemap. Watch your link flow within the site. If a page is not accessible without being logged in make sure to mark with nofollow, noindex within your code. And make sure ALL images have alt texts and links have title texts.

The reason meta tags are almost a complete waste is because Google will mark your keyword usage over a "this is what I want to be listed for" tag. Your most predominant keywords are marked by the first few words on the page, the last few words on the page, the url addresses, the h1, h2 tags etc, bold tags, internal anchors, alt tags. Typically in that order. Careful not to use a single keyword or key phrase to much. 3% of the text being your keyword is typically a good outcome.

• Like 1

Search engines use meta tags to get an idea of (hopefully) what your site is about. So to go off of the example I gave [uSER=69001]Zettieee[/uSER], if I type into Google "Web Game", if I have a meta tag with "Web Game" in it, the site is going to be in the results. Will it be on the first page? Highly doubt it (as they use the site's popularity and page content to rank them in the results), but it will be in the results somewhere. If you want your site to be high up in the results, either A) use keywords that are not very commonly searched (which is counter-intuitive for SEO), or B) use other SEO techniques, which again, I'm no SEO expert, so I'm not sure what those might be.

EDIT: Also, if you're one that advertises your site outside of word-of-mouth, meta tags are used on social media sites as well. If you copy/paste a site's URL into Facebook for example, the value of the meta tag's "description" field will fall underneath the site's title on a "tile" link (if you're on Facebook, I hope you know what I mean by that - I don't know the term for it!).

~G7470

That is done via facebook graph and twitter cards. Social Media is actually a different type of optimization.

And yes I actually do agree with the counter intuitive measure, lol. But not by the definition provided above. Using google's keyword planner you can search for keywords and analyze the most common search phrases. Beginning with using the misspelled words first is actually a very good start. Google can analyze your website traffic to a point. So, by including misspelled phrases with fewer competitors will boost your traffic for a beginner.

Edited by boionfire81

Just tag me. I get email updates to login and check my stuff. But no tag = no email.

Just tag me. I get email updates to login and check my stuff. But no tag = no email.

Ah you proved me wrong.

Now that you have provided some useful information for me I'll keep proving information to you.

Feel free to msg me on skype: scruffy.gamer

I'll gladly fix most of your mods. [uSER=52003]Dave Macaulay[/uSER] , [uSER=68711]KyleMassacre[/uSER] , [uSER=65371]sniko[/uSER] know I'm trustworthy with mods. :)

Yeah, your title/descriptions are, but only if worded in order of appearance in both head & body. Else, they carry the same weight as a h1 tag. Or rather bold tag, as Google weights by heat map basically.

A few images for your consideration.

Google heat map

heat-map-analysis_heat-map-analysis_heat-map.jpg

A standard heat map

website_attention_heatmap_tracking_services.jpg

Heat maps use very similar approaches. Where Googles appear hotter is based on order of appearance in the algorithm. Where the second is hotter is based off of h1, b, and colors.

Yes title & description can carry some weight. But no more than a simple h1/b tag. And half the time your description tag, won't even be displayed, unless formatted & anchored properly.

Just saying. Prioritize your time. :)

Edited by boionfire81