MakeWebGames

Military RPG - BETA!

gamble

Hello MWG!

Im a thrilled an scared all at the same time to release my new game into beta for you guys to check out. The game current has no name associated with it as I will consider names as i get closer to release!

A couple things to keep in mind while testing it out:

- There is no template yet so please do not comment on the lack of one as i know, although if you would like to suggest a template style or a re positioning of items on the screen i will listen.

- There will be more missions and outposts when release. Mock missions were made up for testing purposes!

- There are currently no captchas so please do not spam the register! There will be some added before official release.

- THIS WILL NOT BE THE OFFICIAL DOMAIN! The domain is from [MENTION=70223]death[/MENTION] for testing purposes. It is also hosted by him so if you like how it runs feel free to check out his hosting at dcsghosting.com

- I am open to all of your criticism so let it fly!

- I am also open to all suggestions

- Enjoy the game guys. Ive worked hard so I hope you guys enjoy it.

URL: http://www.militaryrpg.com

Edited by gamble

• No auto-login on register :/
  • Perhaps navigate through the map using AJAX. A whole page refresh (which is pretty slow) is painful for the end user and after 1 move, I was willing to give up
  • The tutorial should update itself after you've completed the step, IMO.
    • Don't show the tutorial if the body is blank. I have to manually turn it off. If it's finished, it should "turn off" automatically

[*]It seems I can't really do anything until I buy troops. How do I buy troops?

• Oh, I have to make ~15 requests to buy troops... Okay.... Nice concept, but pretty lengthy
      • And after buying a Brigade, I only have enough $ to buy 1 Humvee

[*]Perhaps map the requests with the keyboard arrow keys? Make it much more faster. (Arrow key presses + AJAX requests = Happy end user)

• No auto-login on register :/
  • Perhaps navigate through the map using AJAX. A whole page refresh (which is pretty slow) is painful for the end user and after 1 move, I was willing to give up
  • The tutorial should update itself after you've completed the step, IMO.
    • Don't show the tutorial if the body is blank. I have to manually turn it off. If it's finished, it should "turn off" automatically

[*]It seems I can't really do anything until I buy troops. How do I buy troops?

• Oh, I have to make ~15 requests to buy troops... Okay.... Nice concept, but pretty lengthy
      • And after buying a Brigade, I only have enough $ to buy 1 Humvee

[*]Perhaps map the requests with the keyboard arrow keys? Make it much more faster. (Arrow key presses + AJAX requests = Happy end user)

I just created the tutorial before release. I will make some updates to do as was listed above.

I did the troops this way so users know they have to be in specific areas to buy certain troops. And the starting money is meant to be enough to buy a barrack and some basic troops at first to do some missions.

Any suggestion on how to change the troops around to make them more friendly to the user?

About the map: I was thinking about ajax but i havent a clue on how to go about this, but i will work on it for the future.

I just created the tutorial before release. I will make some updates to do as was listed above.

I did the troops this way so users know they have to be in specific areas to buy certain troops. And the starting money is meant to be enough to buy a barrack and some basic troops at first to do some missions.

Any suggestion on how to change the troops around to make them more friendly to the user?

About the map: I was thinking about ajax but i havent a clue on how to go about this, but i will work on it for the future.

• Tutorial
    • Great, ok!

[*]Troops

• At first, I didn't even know what the map did (as in I didn't know I could move. Perhaps highlight the controls, or make them stand out a little more? Perhaps use some graphic rather than "<", ">", "-", "^", "v" characters).

[*]Map

• How far into the future? I feel if it's not done correctly, it'll be a game ruiner

• Tutorial
    • Great, ok!

[*]Troops

• At first, I didn't even know what the map did (as in I didn't know I could move. Perhaps highlight the controls, or make them stand out a little more? Perhaps use some graphic rather than "<", ">", "-", "^", "v" characters).

[*]Map

• How far into the future? I feel if it's not done correctly, it'll be a game ruiner

Map:

I will try it very soon, my next project in the game probably as i meant to do it that way before but couldnt figure it out. And about the movement i will try and get some graphics

Maybe it's on my end, but the AJAX map you have just promoted does not have any functionality.

I have had people testing/playing with it for many hours. Message me on the site and we can see whats going on!

Thanks!

!UPDATE: I placed the js in a different area and it ended up not working after! That is now fixed! Sorry about that [MENTION=65104]bineye[/MENTION]

Edited by gamble

Good concept so far. I would agree; the map needs some work. I would start with an ajax call instead of a page refresh; I see you did this enhanced. Next I would optimize that to only load in the items on the map that changed, this way you are not reloading the whole map each time. This will make it faster and lighter on bandwidth. If you have any questions on how to do this, feel free to ask me any questions. I just released a real time massive multiplayer browser based game engine so I can provide advice if needed on the ajax stuff.

Something else that might be nice is making the tutorial move as the users moves through the game instead of them having to hit next. So once they complete one it shows complete.

Best of luck with the game.

Good concept so far. I would agree; the map needs some work. I would start with an ajax call instead of a page refresh; I see you did this enhanced. Next I would optimize that to only load in the items on the map that changed, this way you are not reloading the whole map each time. This will make it faster and lighter on bandwidth. If you have any questions on how to do this, feel free to ask me any questions. I just released a real time massive multiplayer browser based game engine so I can provide advice if needed on the ajax stuff.

Something else that might be nice is making the tutorial move as the users moves through the game instead of them having to hit next. So once they complete one it shows complete.

Best of luck with the game.

I am currently working on this actually! Thanks for the help offer!

I'll have a play on it throughout the week, see if I can understand it better and give some good advice.

I think you need to focus on some UI design, it makes a template look a lot more polished.

Also see if you can setup a URL rewrite, i'm not sure what framework your using but you could write a simple one to pass the query string

I have had people testing/playing with it for many hours. Message me on the site and we can see whats going on!

Thanks!

!UPDATE: I placed the js in a different area and it ended up not working after! That is now fixed! Sorry about that [MENTION=65104]bineye[/MENTION]

Thanks! I'll try it out when I get home later. I have to say, when you fix/update all of the points in this thread, it will be a great game. Loving the early concept and will be very interested to see how this develops and expands.

Its because you upgraded the barrack before you bought any troops, wait to upgrade until you need to.

maybe put a requirement in so they can't upgrade until they need to, or have bought what they needed before a barracks, prerequisite or some such like that.

maybe put a requirement in so they can't upgrade until they need to, or have bought what they needed before a barracks, prerequisite or some such like that.

Amazing idea! I hadn't thought of that, silly me. Haha Thanks bud!

Few ideas initially...

You can reorder the troops, using javascript you could implement something so that users can just drag them instead of having to change the order numbers.

Maybe show the fatigue statistic?

For testing purposes too, possibly speed up the regen of the fatigue? Makes it easier for the people to play the game

Few ideas initially...

You can reorder the troops, using javascript you could implement something so that users can just drag them instead of having to change the order numbers.

Maybe show the fatigue statistic?

For testing purposes too, possibly speed up the regen of the fatigue? Makes it easier for the people to play the game

Amazing ideas, only one thing about that troop reorder: Im concerned mobile users wont be able to use it if it were drag and drop. I know that is silly of me to say as mobile users enjoy drag and drop. I will do this now seeing as i have some free time. After that troop issue did you have any other problems?

I guess the Military RPG comes from Military Rocket-propelled grenade? :)

As it is nowhere near an RPG genre.

If you made your url's friendly you might as well take out the index.php.

I like the map and the Facebook-like chat. You may want to use a censor before a message is broadcast.

+18:

This is the list of words I use for censor *****: https://github.com/shutterstock/List-of-Dirty-Naughty-Obscene-and-Otherwise-Bad-Words

+18:

Here to make it easy just use this:

http://plnkr.co/edit/OJ8zqDELdTsdKpPpLeEr?p=preview

You should also do this filter on the server side

Edited by HazardBoy

I guess the Military RPG comes from Military Rocket-propelled grenade? :)

As it is nowhere near an RPG genre.

If you made your url's friendly you might as well take out the index.php.

I like the map and the Facebook-like chat. You may want to use a censor before a message is broadcast.

+18:

This is the list of words I use for censor *****: https://github.com/shutterstock/List-of-Dirty-Naughty-Obscene-and-Otherwise-Bad-Words

+18:

Here to make it easy just use this:

http://plnkr.co/edit/OJ8zqDELdTsdKpPpLeEr?p=preview

You should also do this filter on the server side

I called it an RPG due to the user playing the role of a General in the army.

About the chat: I will add a censor very soon! I honestly didnt think about it. Thanks!

Amazing idea! I hadn't thought of that, silly me. Haha Thanks bud!

No problem! I don't know how your tutorial system progresses but I would just have a system of check statements for "this building is built, now tutorial code progresses" that would be used in the same structure as the below idea of prerequisites on upgrades. The tutorial is just a background "upgrade".