MakeWebGames

Military RPG - BETA!

gamble

Few ideas initially...

You can reorder the troops, using javascript you could implement something so that users can just drag them instead of having to change the order numbers.

Maybe show the fatigue statistic?

For testing purposes too, possibly speed up the regen of the fatigue? Makes it easier for the people to play the game

Good news!

You javascript reorder is now done! Check it out:

Go to the original reorder troops and then click enhanced version in the bottom right!

Good concept so far. I would agree; the map needs some work. I would start with an ajax call instead of a page refresh; I see you did this enhanced. Next I would optimize that to only load in the items on the map that changed, this way you are not reloading the whole map each time. This will make it faster and lighter on bandwidth. If you have any questions on how to do this, feel free to ask me any questions. I just released a real time massive multiplayer browser based game engine so I can provide advice if needed on the ajax stuff.

Something else that might be nice is making the tutorial move as the users moves through the game instead of them having to hit next. So once they complete one it shows complete.

Best of luck with the game.

Map optimized. Only loads the two areas that change now: The new position and the old position!

Looks nice, but since you are using bootstrap why not use the input styling and things like tool tips for the map, makes the game more user friendly

I havent done any input styling because its not a major concern of mine at the moment.

How would you recommend i use tooltips on the map?

I havent done any input styling because its not a major concern of mine at the moment.

How would you recommend i use tooltips on the map?

I agree it should not be a major concern at this moment as you are in the middle of development but to add class="btn" or class="form-control" to an element takes seconds and will improve the look and feel dramaticly

As for tooltips you have the enhanced version of the map where you can click the direction you want to go untill you get to the outpost you want to look at, why not add a tool-tip to all the outposts so you can just hover over a square to see the info

I agree it should not be a major concern at this moment as you are in the middle of development but to add class="btn" or class="form-control" to an element takes seconds and will improve the look and feel dramaticly

As for tooltips you have the enhanced version of the map where you can click the direction you want to go untill you get to the outpost you want to look at, why not add a tool-tip to all the outposts so you can just hover over a square to see the info

Great tooltip idea! I will add that as soon as i can!

UPDATE: Tooltips added to outposts!

Edited by gamble

You need to rethink the way to draw the map.

Right now the map has more than 2000 DOM nodes and all are in % and the browser has to calculate a lot plus if you re-size the browser: calculations for 2000+ elements happens and a weird disproportion as the height is not in percent.

Here is my suggestion:

For size:

1. Define a base class and use it to specify the children the size and block-inline (or span element) to avoid using float. ( so you don't have to style every element )

2. Define child classes that you can use to make a tile distinct.

Note that dynamically changing the parent class you can change the size of all the child elements.

like:

.map {
  border : 2px solid blue;
  background-color: green;
}
.map.size-x { width: 1000px; /*fit 100 elements of 10px in a row */ }
.map.size-x div { 
   width: 10px; 
   height: 10px; 
   display: inline-block;
}
.map div.army { background-color: red; }

For usability:

2000 tiles at once it's allot of information. Go for a sub-matrix and just display an area from that big matrix. Not only that you can make the tiles bigger and document lighter, you can adjust the size of the matrix based on the device size ( desktop/phone etc. )

if you decide to go with sub-matrix and need help how to do it, let me know.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1551[/ATTACH]

Notice the bars and the gray space (left-right) wasted.

2014-06-05_1112.thumb.png.7ffbd037c0c3a698ce3df9f4d7a711fa.png

Edited by HazardBoy

Few ideas initially...

You can reorder the troops, using javascript you could implement something so that users can just drag them instead of having to change the order numbers.

Maybe show the fatigue statistic?

For testing purposes too, possibly speed up the regen of the fatigue? Makes it easier for the people to play the game

Hey wrux, tooltips added to the stat bars on the side menu. Hover over them to view the exact quantities of them!

Have a great day.

Also: New feature coming very soon, finalizing the idea and will begin coding it tonight or very soon!

Hey wrux, tooltips added to the stat bars on the side menu. Hover over them to view the exact quantities of them!

Have a great day.

Also: New feature coming very soon, finalizing the idea and will begin coding it tonight or very soon!

Key binds for the map saves clicking the directional buttons? And add some directional buttons instead of just a label maybe?

Key binds for the map saves clicking the directional buttons? And add some directional buttons instead of just a label maybe?

Key events now done! You can hold down to continue to move rather then press every time! Enjoy!

Quick minor update: The progress bars should now fit perfect in the user information table, before they were a bit off.

Edited by gamble

HUGE UPDATE! Bigger than ever before!

Buildings are added:

Click on the "buy" button by the owner, if there is none, to buy a position on the map. You can then manage the position. In the management you can build buildings, there are currently 3, more to be added soon:

- Banks: The user can build a bank for other users to use. The owner can set an interest rate for the users with money invest. The bank's funds get a random interest amount for the day so there is a possibility the users interest is higher than the banks so the bank could lose some money.

- Mess Hall: Basically a restaurant for troops. The building gets a random amount of customers a day based on the current customers and the money made of the day. Just like the bank there is a possibility the mess hall can lose money, if the upkeep is more than the profit. This company has no user interaction like the bank does, but yields lass profit.

- Markets: My personal favorite, not the coding part of it though. A user can buy this building and set a sales tax for all sales done in this market. Other users can sell there troops at the markets, later you will be able to also sell position on the map that you own - currently being codes. This building goes 100% of users.

Let me know what you think!

Minor, but major update:

Help page has been added: You can view it in the panel under the menu it is labeled "Help". On this page you can view a very in depth explanation of each page as well as different functions and how they work. Took me 2 hours to write so hope someone reads it haha.

Have an amazing day MWG, and keep the criticism and suggestions coming!

Minor visual update: New input boxes added to match the game better!

Another small update: The notes on the bunker page now work, save in local storage with jquery so not 100% permanent but will work for now!

Edited by gamble

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as I am now in my home away from home (My Dad's for visitation) I was wondering if anyone have any suggestions! I have a massive amount of free time and looking for some ideas of what to code for my game! Or if you need some help with something let me know i am willing to help anyone!