MakeWebGames

An update

Dayo

Its been a while since i have posted anything up about GL v2 so i thought i would post up some details.

Currently there is very little work done, there is no point in me saying anything different. But now i have some time on my hands i have finally started work on the script below are a few features i intend to implement

- The game should be ajax driven - There should be no page loads (i know i will be excluding people without java-script enabled but there cant be many left who have it disabled) - percentage done 75% (page loader built (back/forward buttons work))

- The script should be modular - explains itself really - percentage done 5%

- Use PDO for the database class - explains itself - percentage done 100%

- Have a better template structure - Ive never liked the header.php/footer.php setup started work on a JS template builder but only as an experiment - percentage done 25% (maybe 0%)

- Ship out with several default modules needed to start a game - This will not be a out the box ready game but should ship with a few default modules. - percentage done 0%

- Admin panel - Previously GL had a very basic admin panel, in V2 the admin panel will be much more advanced and usable - percentage done 0%

- Installer - GL v.0.8.* was a pain in the ass tyo install if you were trying for the first time, GL v2 should ship out with an installer - percentage done 0%

I have made a source forge project that can be found here there is not much here at the moment but you should see how the project is coming along without having to ask me :P

Good luck, I despise Sourceforge and would highly recommend using GitHub, however that is your choice :).

There are also a fair few people who do have JS turned off, having non JS compatibility is a must imo.

I doubt there is so many people which disable JS. Most of today websites do use it in some form or in another. Plus for a game, you can require your players to use it. I do plan to release myself a game which is basically pure JS.

Good luck with your engine Dayo, I can't wait to see it soon!

@!angel i only used it as it was the first one i googled :| as for the JS it would double my development/testing time if i have to think "will this work without JS"

@a_bertrand thats exactly what i thought of, and the people who do disable JS are they going to be playing a mafia game lol. And thanks i am planning on getting something up by the end of the month so people can have a play about and comment on the way im taking it as it will be very different to before

Buttons - Noted

back/forward buttons - thanks

As for AJAX i just think there is more you can do with it i.e. adding effects to the page loads as well as that it should reduce the amount of HTTP requests and once you have your template loaded you wont have to keep reloading your graphics/styles/javascript

Well, the traffic should not be an issue, as browsers do have caching. Hopefully. However yes you could reduce some of the traffic as you would only send what changed and not the container, but I doubt it does actually make much of an impact. For the effect while loading a new page and such, I doubt it is a good idea to have it in an engine, and I doubt it is a good idea to have in long term. Check the story with iOS 7 where most want to disable all those transitions and effects. Effects are cool the first time you see them, but then get annoying as you lose time.

Finally, I would point toward an easier to maintain game / code more than something which uses all kind of tricks. If you can have both, then great, if you can't then better use the normal loading, and make sure people know what files to edit.

Good luck, I despise Sourceforge and would highly recommend using GitHub, however that is your choice :).

There are also a fair few people who do have JS turned off, having non JS compatibility is a must imo.

I don't think it's a must in this context, the majority of web game players will have it on, or will turn it on in order to play the game if they wish to play.

I suppose it's possible that users that use their phones/tablets may have a hard time playing the game.

I'm curious Dayo, why you opted to build your own 'page loader' over something like Sammy.js for example?

As I'm sure there will be a lot more than just client-side URLs/template loading you'll be needing in your ajax driven goal.

I personally chose to use AngularJS, but there's a magnitude of libraries out there that can achieve that app like feel. TodoMVC gives you a good idea of what these libraries offer.

• 2 months later...
Its been a while since i have posted anything up about GL v2 so i thought i would post up some details.

Currently there is very little work done, there is no point in me saying anything different. But now i have some time on my hands i have finally started work on the script below are a few features i intend to implement

- The game should be ajax driven - There should be no page loads (i know i will be excluding people without java-script enabled but there cant be many left who have it disabled) - percentage done 75% (page loader built (back/forward buttons work))

- The script should be modular - explains itself really - percentage done 5%

- Use PDO for the database class - explains itself - percentage done 100%

- Have a better template structure - Ive never liked the header.php/footer.php setup started work on a JS template builder but only as an experiment - percentage done 25% (maybe 0%)

- Ship out with several default modules needed to start a game - This will not be a out the box ready game but should ship with a few default modules. - percentage done 0%

- Admin panel - Previously GL had a very basic admin panel, in V2 the admin panel will be much more advanced and usable - percentage done 0%

- Installer - GL v.0.8.* was a pain in the ass tyo install if you were trying for the first time, GL v2 should ship out with an installer - percentage done 0%

I have made a source forge project that can be found here there is not much here at the moment but you should see how the project is coming along without having to ask me :P

Hi, your working on version 2 and it looks like it could be a great final product however i cant seem to find V1 anywhere to download.

Please can you link me to GL V1 . Thanks!