MakeWebGames

Avoid Me!

Script47

So I started Javascript and though I might as well dive straight in to the main stuff. So I looked at a tutorial which taught how to make a game. I made this game called Avoid Me (as you may or may not have guessed) in three days, it's no where near perfect so please point of any bugs. I am still adding new features to it and I will keep you updated, tell me what you think of it.

Post your high scores so I can add them to the list after I make the high score system!

Next on the updates list:

• Local & Global high score system
  • Intergrate chat

Avoid Me

Edited by Script47

seriously i read this and this specific line i read a tutorial more like downloaded the source files from tuts+ and just changed the skull and smiles around very hard work their my 2 year old sister could do that ffs

btw forgot the url

http://activetuts.s3.amazonaws.com/tuts/381_html5AvoiderGameTutorial3/13/game.html

stop taking work and doing nothing to it then calling it your own

Edited by NationGamer
adding url

Indeed NationGamer, it is not only the same game, but the same code with the same bugs.... Script47 you should understand what you do and not only copy / paste things you find on the net.

At least try to fix the bugs:

- Your speedup bug when you click (yes it's a bug and not a feature) is due to multiple call to the setInterval.

- Skulls should not appear like they do now in block, instead you should start to draw them above the canvas and then move them down.

- Creating a 2D context multiple times for the same canvas (and this at each game loop) is really a shame. You eat resources for nothing.

- Also, I would use a sprite sheet with the skull and the smilie in one image instead of loading 2...

As always, it would make more sense you start with smaller things, and understand what you do, instead of copy / pasting things around with the hope to make something.

seriously i read this and this specific line i read a tutorial more like downloaded the source files from tuts+ and just changed the skull and smiles around very hard work their my 2 year old sister could do that ffs

btw forgot the url

http://activetuts.s3.amazonaws.com/tuts/381_html5AvoiderGameTutorial3/13/game.html

stop taking work and doing nothing to it then calling it your own

Indeed NationGamer, it is not only the same game, but the same code with the same bugs.... Script47 you should understand what you do and not only copy / paste things you find on the net.

At least try to fix the bugs:

- Your speedup bug when you click (yes it's a bug and not a feature) is due to multiple call to the setInterval.

- Skulls should not appear like they do now in block, instead you should start to draw them above the canvas and then move them down.

- Creating a 2D context multiple times for the same canvas (and this at each game loop) is really a shame. You eat resources for nothing.

- Also, I would use a sprite sheet with the skull and the smilie in one image instead of loading 2...

As always, it would make more sense you start with smaller things, and understand what you do, instead of copy / pasting things around with the hope to make something.

Okay, I can't be bothered starting a fully blown argument, so I'll tell you, Firstly I wrote all the code out on my own. I never copy & paste code. Secondly I didn't change the pictures because I just wanted to make it "different" or so nobody could recognise it, it's because it made more sense that your avoiding skulls not the smilies. Thirdly I made the score system my self as well as the restart game part with a lot of researching on stackoverflow and various other sites. I also looked up each part of the code which I didn't understand a rewrote it where I could. Also I clearly put:

I looked at a tutorial which taught how to make a game.

So I thought that would make it clear that It's not going to be all my code, also the changes I am making will make sure it will be different. I only looked through the first tutorial properly the second one I was skim reading so it was basically some of my code the third tutorial I didn't read. To clarify I have never and won't take anybody's work without their permission and thank them where I see fit. If you would take a look at some of my other creations I have thanked everyone who may have helped even if they just added a tiny bit. So please don't go throwing accusations saying I have taken his code, seeing as you read the articles, did the author extensively say that you can't use the code? No he didn't he actually he wrote thing for you to try to improve the game, setting challenges. So by that I'm sure you will be able to guess that he is actually allowing you to use the code, no? I am still fixing the bugs and code AND adding new features so it will be my game. Thanks for pointing some bugs Alain I will start fixing them. Thanks for all the feedback guys! :)

@NationGamer & a_bertrand Yes he used a tutorial but it is something he can learn from.

@Script47

1) Look into clearInterval() to fix the bug with the click to speed up/down

2) Instead on an alert use a custom css alert as you can click on prevent additional popups

3) maybe add different skill levels, ie easy, medium, hard (the same as 1, 2 and 3 clicks)

4) Add items like a shield that when you hit into it you get 3 lives

5) spawn the elements above the canvas (enemyYPositions.push(-100); )

I didn't complained about the fact he used a tutorial, it was more than he copied a script without really going deep inside it. That's why "tutorials" are not good as you usually just end up copy / pasting what somebody else worked out, and you have the false idea that you understand it. I would always favor a slower (at first) approach to start with a couple of lines, like create the canvas, get the 2D context and draw one line. Understand then what the canvas actually is, and what is the context. You could then go deeper, understand when you can update, what kind of game loop you can build, and see what kind of functions the 2D context offers you.

@NationGamer & a_bertrand Yes he used a tutorial but it is something he can learn from.

@Script47

1) Look into clearInterval() to fix the bug with the click to speed up/down

2) Instead on an alert use a custom css alert as you can click on prevent additional popups

3) maybe add different skill levels, ie easy, medium, hard (the same as 1, 2 and 3 clicks)

4) Add items like a shield that when you hit into it you get 3 lives

5) spawn the elements above the canvas (enemyYPositions.push(-100); )

Thanks for all the feedback Dayo, will look in to it all! :)

I didn't complained about the fact he used a tutorial, it was more than he copied a script without really going deep inside it. That's why "tutorials" are not good as you usually just end up copy / pasting what somebody else worked out, and you have the false idea that you understand it. I would always favor a slower (at first) approach to start with a couple of lines, like create the canvas, get the 2D context and draw one line. Understand then what the canvas actually is, and what is the context. You could then go deeper, understand when you can update, what kind of game loop you can build, and see what kind of functions the 2D context offers you.

I completely understand what your saying, and I just want to say that comment was mostly based toward NationGamer for assuming I just copied and pasted it without looking in to it or actually creating new things. Because it really doesn't take three days to copy & paste something. I was looking in to code properly and not just giving my self (like you said) a false sense of thinking that I know what I'm doing.

Started working on something like this for Android (learning how to make simple games etc on their)

It's good fun, and a nice starting point :)

Yeah that's where why I started here! :)

Edited by Script47