MakeWebGames

Making Games.. LOVE or MONEY?

lolyee

It's love, not money. If you run after money you will most likely produce a game without much interest. On the other side, if you do it for love, it may end up as a remunerative thing as others may fall in love of your work ;)

If you don't like what you do, how do you expect others loving it? Also, think that the amount of work involved in making any game is HUGE, so if you don't have love / passion doing it, it's better you choose something else to do or it will just burn you.

I love zombies/survival games, that's why me and a friend decided to develop a game with that theme. in terms of earnings, we're not expecting anything significant, but would be nice to get enough to cover hosting costs! We've made a game that we'd enjoy playing, and hopefully others will. If you focus to much on earning money, you pose the risk of making one of these 'pay to win' games, which have a pretty limited market i find!

I agree with Bert here. My first game ever I made cause I really wanted to try and learn did pretty good till I got in way over my head, it made on average $15/day and even had an offer to sell it to some wannabe zynga type company but I chose not to.

my second game, well I can't say the same cause that one was for money and in 3 months I made $99 :p so you need to do it because you like it or love it.

Honestly it's a little of both. I like to program so generally speaking I will pick a project that challenges me. If the site isn't used I feel like I've wasted my time so, with that in mind, I tend to know the market I'm targeting before I even start with the code.

If I didn't enjoy programming I wouldn't, but if I couldn't break at least even on my own projects (even being the graphics cost and hosting NOT overall time spent) I probably couldn't justify it to myself.

Definitely love not money, I have a full time job bringing in money, I do it as a hobby, if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't think twice at going, however I don't see that happening.