MakeWebGames

Prototype: Custom Battler =)

Sim

I am unsure if I am going to continue this or not. This was just me messing around, if there is enough positive feedback and idea's on how to improve this, I will continue this and eventually turn it into a game. You make your own character, you make your own attacks and you battle!!! Hopefully someone would like to help develop it with me.

I made the character creation old school instead of hitting up and down buttons to distribute button's since this is a prototype to receive feedback and didnt want to spend anymore time then I already have on this.

create_char_part01.jpg

Each starting character can have up to 3 attacks with one attack image with 3 seperate attack messages.

create_char_part02.jpg

The battle's are random between whoever is registered on the site.

battle.JPG

If you got the time, register at http://www.textgamemaker.com . No email activation is required and give me some feedback on what you think and maybe improvements if I should continue.

Looks great. If you were to take further could make a battle card system?

I was thinking a team battle game. You create multiple characters and make teams with them and compete against other teams. First the system would have to be expanded upon.

Upon creating a character more things would be added such as what type of attack style's either melee or range and element of attack. Also what type of element character is such as earth, water, fire. Then cool-down's for each attack.

The battle system would be completely different where you pick a character from your and then the attack and attack then the oppoment from the other team. I'm thinking real time time with turn based battle using all Ajax.

I tried out your game. I signed up (but just used some fake email), made a character, and all seemed well. Then the game locked up or went down when I tried to battle a random opponent. Sorry.

From what I did see, it looked very clean and fresh, not cluttered and confusing, which I liked.

------ edit ------

After closing the browser tab and trying again a few minutes later, I was able to battle people. The battle results are very confusing, but the concept is nice. :)

------------------

I'm very new here, so please excuse any etiquette infractions, but I'm very interested in learning how to create my own game. Would you mind sharing some info with me so I can get an idea of where to start looking in order to really start learning? For instance, did you build the game completely from scratch, or did you use a framework such as CodeIgniter, or did you use a game engine?

I've peeked inside the various folders and files of some open-source game engines on Github, but being such a novice programmer, especially when it comes to frame works and game engines, I get easily confused, lost, and frustrated. When I'm looking at actual code, be it PHP, HTML, Javascript, I can usually figure out what it's doing, but when all I see are calls to functions and methods and such on objects, some of which don't even seem to be located in the same file, that's when I start running into headaches.

I'm slowly learning the various languages, but the frameworks and such have me confused. Is there some sort of guide or methodology to navigating frameworks and game engines for beginners to use in order to learn?

Basically, some of the frame works and game engines seem so huge that they require multiple simultaneous pathways of mental processing, while as a beginner, I only have one or two pathways available.

Edited by NoMak

THe majority of the time, all my projects are %100 from scratch with a few exception. The exception this time is I am using smarty templating.

I am unsure if there is some php Editor that will tell you where all the functions are in the code for backtracking, but that be pretty neat. More the most part, you just have the memorize or follow the through of the file's which can be a pain at times. Maybe someone else can help with this question. I would be interested in knowing about a php editor to help find out where functions our in coding projects as well. IT be quiete helpfull.

Most IDE would do that for you Sim. You could use Eclipse PDT, Komodo Edit, Zend Studio, Or PHPStorm for example. I'm pretty sure all of those would do it. For PHP I use Zend Studio, and a control+click on a function call jumps on the declaration of it (if this is what you are after).

Most IDE would do that for you Sim. You could use Eclipse PDT, Komodo Edit, Zend Studio, Or PHPStorm for example. I'm pretty sure all of those would do it. For PHP I use Zend Studio, and a control+click on a function call jumps on the declaration of it (if this is what you are after).

Are any of them free a_bertrand