MakeWebGames

Mad (or stupid?) project version 2013

a_bertrand

guys if you dont like this, you really suck, because ive never seen a game like this playing in browser, this is just a start, and in a few years who knows may be on everyone computers

Is this supposed to be aimed at me because I don’t see anyone who has said they don’t actually like it?

Is this supposed to be aimed at me because I don’t see anyone who has said they don’t actually like it?

Lightning: he's spectacular 20k feet away, but a pain in the arse up close.

Sorry you mentioned "aimed at me", and his handle is lightning, and my brain went "lets think of something witty to say, and fail miserably". :cool:

Relevant

Edited by Djkanna
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Further work has been invested and too keep you updated here is how it is going:

- An edge is now drawn when the level is going down. I helps to see the level difference.

- The map is not persistent and shared in real time. That means, if you modify it, everyone will see what you modified.

- The transparency algorithm as been improved

- Optimizations have been made and a greater speed has been reached

- A rough login / register is implemented

- A rough chat is there to be tested (tab to enter it, esc to exit it)

- Loads of bug fixes

On the server:

- MongoDB is used for the persistence.

- GZIP and Deflate compression has been implemented for .html, css, .js file

- Supervisor (a node.js module) is used to restart the server in case the files change, or the server crash.

- Stores map changes and player position updates.

What is MongoDB

For those now knowing what it is, instead of having the concept of table, with values and primary keys, all data inside MongoDB are basically called documents. Each document must have a unique ID which can be either set by hand or generated, and then the attached value can be.... anything and can vary on each "row". Think about a key / value pair dictionary. Yet the value is a JSON (called BSON) data, which means JavaScript objects. You may search by the ID or by any value of the BSON data. MongoDB is free / open source.

Overall the project is progressing well, and the next step will be the implementation of the multi player monsters and monsters combats. Even if JS is not the nicest language out there, it seems to be solid enough for this kind of game. And having support of IE 9 or after, Chrome and Firefox it should cover most of the browser market. Of course mobile browsers will simply be ignored due to the CPU requirements for such game.

People are free to not like it ;) Free for everybody to have their own opinion. I do honestly believe it has potential but as Dom said, it is clear it's a lot of work before being actually an ok game. Not the usual amount you invest in a hobby web game. But some of you knows me, I'm not the kind of trying to do the usual stuff.

This, provided it's coded from the ground up, requires a lot of brain power for any developer to not like it.

You should push this up on Git ;)

I'm not big fan of open source projects. Of course I use some open source code, yet I'm somehow reluctant to share my hobby games like that. I do it for my professional work but not for those games. Also I doubt this (MWG) would actually contribute much, it's not the kind of the community (node.js, full JS code on the client side, minimal HTML / CSS)

BTW I'm not using a shared hosting or others, I use a dedi server where I installed all the needed infrastructure. However I do know there is node.js hosting out there, maybe not on some remote islands like yours ;) but still nothing prevent you to use some US one to test if you want.

Worked a lot on it, beside optimizing the rendering, which means faster frame rate:

- Improved again the transparency algorithm (when you are behind objects)

- Added maze generation (currently it's a first trial, and should be further improved)

- Added wearable items, you can put them or remove them from the backpack (top right icon)

- You can wear / remove pieces by clicking on the top right icon and you will see the change live on your avatar.

And much more, even if not all is so easy to spot ;)