MakeWebGames

Oh oh! I decided to go with NWE and...

DungeonMaster

Thank you.

That did the trick and the error is gone so it functions, however while you were gone I got looking at EZRPG especially because the modules could be attached for free, I believe for yours I would have to get at least the $20 version and then pay again for each module I wanted to add on?.

I also tried updating via the prompt that said I did not have the latest version and got a whole bunch of error messages.

So I have to decide between the two.

For both dev versions, yes you would have to pay for each paid module unless it is listed for free. I believe the paid dev version and above has access to the market place where you can download the free modules for free. But if you get the full version for $100 then you have full access to everything for free unless a developer asks for money but 90% of the modules are free.

I am also considering giving my paid dev version to someone who really wants it and is willing to use it but I dont want it to go to waste. So if you are willing to use it, or if anyone else reading this is willing to use it let me know

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The free version can be used to import any kind of modules (payed or not), yet it doesn't work with the marketplace. We should discuss if I should open the download and update from marketplace or not for the free version, and maybe even remove the dev version altogether as I doubt there is much sense of keeping it at the end of the day. What do you guys think about it?

I think that maybe turn the paid dev into the free dev that way they have some access to the market place to add or update modules.

@DungeonMaster, its the $20 version and you would get my license number but please dont let it go to waste so if your goin to use it shoot me a pm with your marketplace username and ill send alain a message to transfer over my key to you

Edited by KyleMassacre

Bertrand - well I didn't see the point of having no access to the modules section. This is what attracted me to EZRPG, seed so restrictive. If you did make the free version have access then what would be the point of the $20 dev version?

Also, does having the dev version allow me to use the script for many or my domains or am I limited to one domain?

Bertrand - you also sent me an Email just now saying you are no longer developing NWE? You are sort of throwing me off here, then why do you still have it so costly?

Kyle, thank you so much for you offer, please first if someone can answer the questions then I will know what to do since I want to run many turn based games so once I settle on one engine I want to go really in depth with it.

I'm not sure about EZRPG and the way they deal with their licensing, but I believe with both NWE and McCodes you have to have a paid for licence for each new game you create, unless you are using their "free version". Though I am obviously not 100% certain on this.

*nods* In the end it is going to depend on how comfortable you are with the one you choose. Perhaps downloading and looking at each "free version" of your choices and getting a feel for them will help you to decide. Another factor, I would think, to keep in mind is what type of assistance if any you would get from the sellers of the engines. Not too mention if there is any kind of community support for that engine.

In most cases, not all, it is the community where you will find your support.

If that is true then it would only push me further to use EZRPG which doesn't have those restrictions.

I'm not sure about EZRPG and the way they deal with their licensing, but I believe with both NWE and McCodes you have to have a paid for licence for each new game you create, unless you are using their "free version". Though I am obviously not 100% certain on this.

ezRPG is open-sourced software licensed under the GNU GPL v3 license. It's free and will always be so.

I didn't currently said anything about running multiple games with a single license. So that would be assuming too much ;)

I would say it needs to be discussed on cases by cases. For example, you try a first game, then start another project and basically kill the first one, and then go on a third, then a single license would suffice. If you run 10 successful games at the same time (with money flooding in each) then maybe a single license is not enough anymore. See my point?

I tested EZRPG - install was flawless and no errors. The only drawback I see is the use of smarty (which I personally do not like) and from browsing available modules a lot of the threads have complaints about users trying to get it to work. Now I could probably invest time looking at the code and getting it to work but I don't want to do that. I'm interested in something that works right off the bat so my modifications will not bring up more surprises.

KyleMassacre I'm sending you that PM shortly.

a_bertrand - well what did you decide. I plan to use it for 6 different genres which will function off of four domains - that is not 10 but if it does not say that as part of the license I need to know what the ideal is on that. And from your EMail I am talking about: http://www.nw-engine.com/

Fair enough though I doubt I will reach that amount anytime soon.

By the way you are talking about the paid license since the free is well... free?

This probably is applicable to modules more than the core files not so since what you are actually charging for is the use of modules and not the core files.

Yes I'm talking about the full license, which means you pay one and use as much as you will as long as your second project don't make 1000$ then you should buy an additional license. That's valid for the full license containing all MY official modules. Other developers may require different licenses.

Well so far the two I am looking at now has my objectives in mind. I lean more to NWE but find it over priced for the lack of WOW factor involved plus the $100 version has things I will never use: forum, mail, etc. Maybe that will change once I can gain access to the marketplace. I also like that it does not use SMARTY code which I realized ezRPG does. I also want mods that work right off the bat so when I begin to edit them I know I'm working with something already functional.

Guest: beside some 3D engines which are actually based on the amount of money you earn from the games you write (it's called royalties) as well as many professional libs or tools which works on the same concept, it's true that such kind of arrangement are not usual for web games. But you always forget that personally I don't run for money with NWE, and even if he would no purchase any additional license, well, it would not hurt me.

a_bertrand, I haven't received anything. You sent it via Email?

UPDATE: I just logged in and see it now - thanks but if you can please send to me via Email so I have a hard copy for my records other than just seeing it on your site.

So I will install this version and remove the free one - which forum or support area do I use for comments or do i stay with this thread?

One of the first things I noticed is the lack of screen shots for the modules especially if you are charging for it then at least the buyer should 'see' what they are getting. Suppose it is not what they wanted, you refund the credits?