MakeWebGames

V3 delayed

a_bertrand

As my previous post has been deleted because it wasn't on the right thread (yes rules applies to admins too :rolleyes:), I will make a new thread for it:

Many ask how's the version 3 of McCodes going, when will they have it, and what it will contain. First of all, I'm not linked to the McCodes team but as nobody from them is willing to post any info, I thought it's just right to post what I know (from CB chat for example).

Old old history:

(July 2007!!! => Proposed Features for DBS/MCcodes Next Ver)

http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/21084-Proposed-Features-for-DBS-MCcodes-Next-Ver?p=138030#post138030

(from march 2010! => "but we should have something to show (be it feature presentations/screenshots/whatever) in the next couple of months.")

http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/36498-Price-ETA?p=240771#post240771

later on in this thread => "A 2011 release date is far from stupid"

Then we got finally a private view of something in March this year, where some people had access to a development code. After a couple of development versions... the story ended.

We then got the news it should be ready Q2 2012, then end Summer 2012, and now, maybe Jan 2013.

To the question will v3 ever come? My answer would currently be: don't count on it, as it's since 2007 they are talking about the next generation of code... and still nothing really released (Redux wasn't developed by them, and is anyhow not considered by CB and Dabs as the way to continue).

To the question what would the hypothetical v3 bring: honestly, don't expect any new feature, it the best cases you will have a modular system, and maybe a translation system, that's it. Why do I say so? Well, (the 2 CB and Dabs could show I'm wrong, but till then...) I didn't saw anything really interesting. No new features for the players, and even for the game owner it's not really going in the "easier" to user / develop.

To the feature set: as the latest development build was showing: nothing, it's just a port of the old features to some new structure

Compatibility? None, you will need to recode your modules.

So for me, don't wait for V3, as it doesn't seems to be anywhere here, nor the little we saw wasn't really all that interesting. So move along, choose something else, and make your life with another option. There is enough choices out there without hoping for a product which may never come.

Why do I post this? Well as said, I find it lame that the 2 interested do not actually inform THEIR customers, and I'm sick of repeating always the same thing: V3 is not here, and it may never be a real product.

The code that I saw for the current v3 build they are better doing everyone a favour including themselves and scrapping it. It was a mess and they would be better off going back to the drawing board and starting over.

Im not against a v3 they should develop their engine as they see fit.

P.S: we still didn't got any news about the security issue I reported this summer...

Apart from the comment made in the IRC chat room where CB laughed saying that a patch had already been made but not released.

I dont see "busy at university" as an excuse for no involvement on their own forum. So Cb, Dabs, Ian and Paul (possible freelance or part-time refuses to say) are all busy at Uni?

Apart from the comment made in the IRC chat room where CB laughed saying that a patch had already been made but not released.

I dont see "busy at university" as an excuse for no involvement on their own forum. So Cb, Dabs, Ian and Paul (possible freelance or part-time refuses to say) are all busy at Uni?

Actually I move out of Home tomorrow into my new job, so yes I have been busy. Besides that I don't even work on the engine.

I doubt anyone is sitting at home waiting on v3 in order to create their next game. We all know the mccodes team's time frames on projects are massively underestimated or plainly lies. Take for example 2.5 has come out since they first announced v3 (if 07 is actually correct I didn't read the threads linked.) We don't need more threads with spam when, if we're being honest, I doubt any of you care about it.

For those of you looking for other options look around there are so many I don't think it's worth listing them.

Dom: this thread was started to try to answer to the many which comes to the chat or in the forum asking when will V3 come out, and what will it be. I do strongly believe answering customer concerns is a priority to a good business. They don't do it? Fine, not my problem, but as long as I'm admin on this forums (maybe will not last much longer anymore anyhow) I will try to help the community, and if the community needs info, I will try to provide it as long as I don't breach any special agreement.