MakeWebGames

[WTH] Game Developer

Frosty

Hi,

I am looking for a developer to create a custom game engine, this will include creating a game from scratch and offering support for 2 months (for any bug fixes) after game launch, this could lead onto a contractual work or permanent work/employment.

Requirements:

Must be able to work with php/ajax/mysql/xhtml/css

Must be living in the London area or be able to commute to London.

Must be willing to meet up beforehand to discuss details.

Must be able to dedicated 5 weeks to completing the project (3 weeks to create the game & 2 weeks to make any changes needed.)

Benefits:

5 weeks stay in rented accommodation.

Food/Travel expenses paid during stay in rented accommodation.

Total Payment of £1800 (£180 at start & £1620 on completion)

It will be necessary to stay in London so that it will be easy to communicate, after the 5 weeks the 2 months support will be remote.

More details will be given at at meeting.

If your interested please reply to this post with details of your previous experience and references (OR PM), you must be able to commute to London for the meeting.

If you don't feel comfortable revealing your personal details in the thread please PM me or email me at: frostyisfrozen[AT]gmail[DOT]com

If you have any questions please ask in the thread.

Edited by Frosty

Three weeks to create a fully fledged game, that's somewhat of a small time-frame, would the lucky guy/gal be doing the whole thing on their own?

Will you be providing the internet access at the 'rented accommodation', or are we to provide the means to access the net (EG: Starbucks)?

P.S: Thanks for actually providing a somewhat decent proposition, generally a rare thing here.

Accommodation would be fully furnished with a computer & internet access.

I agree it is a small time frame but the experience I've had with developers is that they work a lot better when they are out of an environment with no distractions.

I'd generally agree, but with providing internet access there's a great big window of opportunity for distractions.

Anyway, thanks for answering my questions, and best of luck finding your developer.

Whilst its a fairly decent proposal its still not thought through.

So your asking for 3 weeks of work to create an engine. So if you think about it £1800 for just the 3 weeks based on 8hrs a day 7 days a week only work out at £10.71/hr

Thats without the 2 further weeks add those on and your floating just above minimum wage £6.42/hr

Cant see anyone here who is proficient enough to do this within the time frame working for that kind of pay. Your looking at having to multiply your budget by 5.

Whilst its a fairly decent proposal its still not thought through.

So your asking for 3 weeks of work to create an engine. So if you think about it £1800 for just the 3 weeks based on 8hrs a day 7 days a week only work out at £10.71/hr

Thats without the 2 further weeks add those on and your floating just above minimum wage £6.42/hr

Cant see anyone here who is proficient enough to do this within the time frame working for that kind of pay. Your looking at having to multiply your budget by 5.

I'm not an evil person who would make someone work 7 days a week, I only ask for 35 hours a week x 5 weeks = £10.28/ph

Bearing in mind during this period you would not be paying rent/bills/food/travel therefore the entire £1800 is your to keep (you are responsible for declaring the tax if applicable).

Damn straight.

Also, I'd like to point out that you get more freedom in prison than your job offer allows. Anyone feel like a free prison sentence, sign up today!

This why I ask to meet the person first to discuss details with them, some people prefer to work straight 10 hours a day 7 days a week and some prefer to work less each person is different therefore i ask to meet them first.

Wrong, you may still need to rent the flat you usually have, and quiet certainly insurances, electricity (even if reduced) or other bills. So no it's certainly not full to keep. Also bare my less than good knowledge of the UK market, but 10 GPB per hour doesn't seems an even remotely good salary, as I would pay more for a person cleaning my house (we run at least at 16 GBP per hours here for a cleaning job). But as said, the UK market is a lot different.

Also, I'm also in the opinion of DJK that 3 weeks even completely full time without much distractions is way too short to make any descent game / game engine.

Wrong, you may still need to rent the flat you usually have, and quiet certainly insurances, electricity (even if reduced) or other bills. So no it's certainly not full to keep. Also bare my less than good knowledge of the UK market, but 10 GPB per hour doesn't seems an even remotely good salary, as I would pay more for a person cleaning my house (we run at least at 16 GBP per hours here for a cleaning job). But as said, the UK market is a lot different.

Also, I'm also in the opinion of DJK that 3 weeks even completely full time without much distractions is way too short to make any descent game / game engine.

you would not be paying rent/bills/food/travel

So no, he/she would not be paying any bills or rent as it would be payed for.

@Octet it's actually £1.35 on Oyster.

Anyway, thank you very much to everyone who knows everything about everything.

Back on topic if anyone is interested in this offer please message me.

Sorry, but you may already rent your own flat, right? and then you get your offer, which keeps you away 3 or 5 weeks (not sure). So what? You need to move, to your rented flat, yet I doubt you give stop renting yours, just for 5 weeks. So for sure you still need to pay the old one. Or do you pay even all the bills for the developers on top ?

And... I hardly see how this is off topic.

Sorry, but you may already rent your own flat, right? and then you get your offer, which keeps you away 3 or 5 weeks (not sure). So what? You need to move, to your rented flat, yet I doubt you give stop renting yours, just for 5 weeks. So for sure you still need to pay the old one. Or do you pay even all the bills for the developers on top ?

And... I hardly see how this is off topic.

As I clearly stated already all bills/rent/food/travel would be included on top of what he/she gets paid, the finer details would be spoken about.

As I clearly stated already all bills/rent/food/travel would be included on top of what he/she gets paid, the finer details would be spoken about.

I think what a_bertrand is asking is whether they would still be paying for their flat which is seeing no use?

So they would be paying for their accommodation regardless, just not the one you are offering.

Flat They Rent - X Per Month

Flat You Rent - Free

Whilst living in your flat, they are still paying X per month for their flat.

I think what a_bertrand is asking is whether they would still be paying for their flat which is seeing no use?

So they would be paying for their accommodation regardless, just not the one you are offering.

Flat They Rent - X Per Month

Flat You Rent - Free

Whilst living in your flat, they are still paying X per month for their flat.

While in London your accommodation in London would be provided for you inclusive of bills/rent/food/travel, if you have your own accommodation that you rent elsewhere it is your responsibility to pay for it, is this what you meant?

While in London your accommodation in London would be provided for you inclusive of bills/rent/food/travel, if you have your own accommodation that you rent elsewhere it is your responsibility to pay for it, is this what you meant?

I believe that is what a_bertrand is saying, so you don't actually get free accommodation, as you are still paying for yours that you aren't using.

I'm not an evil person who would make someone work 7 days a week, I only ask for 35 hours a week x 5 weeks = £10.28/ph

Bearing in mind during this period you would not be paying rent/bills/food/travel therefore the entire £1800 is your to keep (you are responsible for declaring the tax if applicable).

Actually thats incorrect. You are employing someone and therefore you are responsible for paye due to the amount being paid. It is illegal to try and hide behind well they are responsible for paying tax and national insurance as you as the employer are also responsible for paying NI contributions and your own tax.

That has to be paid and if applicable the employee can claim the tax back.

Even if your employing the person as a self employed freelancer you still have to register the fact and pay the tax and national insurance and then submit it on your end of year tax return.

Actually thats incorrect. You are employing someone and therefore you are responsible for paye due to the amount being paid. It is illegal to try and hide behind well they are responsible for paying tax and national insurance as you as the employer are also responsible for paying NI contributions and your own tax.

That has to be paid and if applicable the employee can claim the tax back.

Even if your employing the person as a self employed freelancer you still have to register the fact and pay the tax and national insurance and then submit it on your end of year tax return.

When you hire a cleaner do you pay them in full or do you take the tax and NI out before you pay them?

I could easily travel to London as I live an hour away, but the time frame and the amount of work you want done in that is indeed possible.

But something I'm not willing to commit to.

Good luck in finding someone!

Thank you.

You CAN pay a cleaner without paying NI or tax as their hours of work and more to the point amount they are paid is below the allowance. However there is a difference between the weekly allowance and the yearly allowance of which I think you dont realize.

The weekly pay if over the threshold then you have to pay. Yes you can claim it back if you fall under the yearly limit but you have to pay first claim back later.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/rates-thresholds.htm

Dont get me wrong not trying to pick holes in your post/offer. HMRC actively employ staff to look for job offers online to catch tax evasion. Its not a fine and hassle either you or the person taking the job wants.

Edited by rulerofzu

Thank you for pointing that out, I still stand on what I say, whoever is successful will be paid in full and it is their responsibility whether to declare or not.

I don't think you understand, it is a law that needs to be followed....

You MUST pay tax!