MakeWebGames

IE just shutss down suddenly

Coly010

Recently, and this has happened a lot, when I've been using the hosting services on one.com, especially when I'm using the File Manager, IE just closes down all the IE windows and tabs that are open, with no apparent reason.

This is most annoying especially when I'm trying to fix a bug and decide to simply fix it through the online text editor. I lose all changes I have made and twice I've lost the contents of full files because IE just simply closed everything.

The Version of IE is : IE 9

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if they have, do you have a solution?

Thanks

- Coly010

We often also just tell people, switch or upgrade your browser.

But, that makes you(and used to make me) an arrogant fool.

So if everybody who posted after the OP could please inform this whole community why you think it's crap, I'll remove you from my list of "idiots-who-know-nothing-but-acts-like-they-do".

Back on topic....

I've experienced a lot of problems with IE before, even voodoo like text boxes shrinking and buttons floating around on the page...

Most problems such as those are usually because the browser is running in compatibility mode, so I'd suggest confirming if that is turned off.

IE >7 and especially IE9 has a bug committed to it's source that affected early builds, so an upgrade(still IE9 or new version) might suffice.

Chrome is the way to go. IE's basically been just a place-holder for the past three years. Kind of like Notepad.

Actually... Chrome WAS the way to go. Used it for quite sometime, until noticing a few quirks with it...

Chrome is nowadays more of a memory eater than FF!

We often also just tell people, switch or upgrade your browser.

But, that makes you(and used to make me) an arrogant fool.

So if everybody who posted after the OP could please inform this whole community why you think it's crap, I'll remove you from my list of "idiots-who-know-nothing-but-acts-like-they-do".

Any time I just go to open IE on ANY machine, I have to wait about five minutes while it tries to decide if it wants to actually load itself or just crash.

If it DOES crash, it may just lock up the entire computer and make me reboot.

Once in IE, the page loading time is ridiculously awful, averaging 5-7 seconds per page where, with Chrome, I can comfortably expect a max of about 2-3 seconds.

I've never had memory issues with Chrome, but with IE, my CPU spikes for the entire time it's trying to load and/or crash, usually causing something else I'm running to also crash.

Community informed.

Biohazard so how does IE have issues with sessions and so much more? isnt the problem badly designed websites where the developer cannot be bothered to make it fully compatible.

The key thing from what the OP has stated is that this has occurred recently so was not occurring before.

There is several microsoft support kb articles on why IE may close unexpectedly with solutions. Altered settings can be the cause which suggests doing a reset to default settings among other settings.

Also could be the code that you are attempting to run. Ive seen this occur in IE and Firefox (quit without explanation) and in chrome the rather amusing Its Dead Jim.

My suggestion would be

Dont use ANY browser as your coding editor. Use a offline editor such as notepad+ or better.

Use Firefox and firebug with appropriate extensions to test and debug your code online and if you have played with your browser settings. Dont play unless you know what your playing with.

Yeah, thanks for the comments!

I have the settings of IE at default and I always use Chrome however, to use the filemanager on One.com you need to use IE 6 and above.

It happens with other sites too, I checked to make sure if it was just one.com but I think it might have to do with opening a few too many tabs/windows which carry the same session id.

As for why I use Chrome : It Loads the homepage quickly while IE is attempting to cause your CPU to meltdown trying to decide whether to load the homepage or just to crash, whilst showing very unhelpful dialogue boxes saying " To speed up browsing, disable add-ons" when I have no add-ons activated Except for Mcafee which runs perfectly quickly on FF and Chrome :L

Thanks anyway,

- Coly010

Right so you think this is an IE issue.

I would beg to differ.

Simply browsing websites should not cause a high cpu on anything regardless of the browser and IE does not do that out of the box. If it did then yeah you could blame IE for it.

Personally sounds like you have an issue on your system whilst running IE. Perhaps a virus/plugin/malware issue.

As for one.com insisting you use IE6 or above. Again comes back to cant be bothered to make something work in all browsers. Just sheer laziness.

I don't know if IE has a high CPU issue but when I use it, even on its own, it ends up freezing my computer, multiple times.

And as for One.com not making their File System Cross-Compatible is a complete joke.

As you know ROZ I'm attempting to improve my design skills, and if I was to program one of those templates, I'd need to make it Cross Compatible with variety of browsers.

Is that not like one of the first things you need to consider when designing websites? And just so you all know, if you try to use Chrome or Ff it simply comes up that this FileSystem needs to be run in IE.

- Coly010

IE doesnt have a high cpu issue as far as I am aware.

However I found this quite interesting.

browsing rulerofzu.com IE cpu resource. 0 memory 14'464k

browsing one.com IE cpu 2-8% cpu. memory 74,468k

browsing bbc.co.uk IE cpu 1-2% memory 56,468k and dropping (looked after visiting one.com)

Now bearing in mind that I am on my p180m clevo with 16GB ram and multiple hybrid drives with a nice cpu to boot then its not going to bother my system that much. Could be different on yours.

Yeah I have a slightly less powerful PC. Well, actually its my Dad's as its his website I have hosted on one.com so I just make the changes to his website on his computer.

I don't know off the top of my head what the RAM / CPU is however if One.com is using more then I'm guessing its a problem with the website and not actually IE.

Thanks for researching into it ROZ

- Coly010

• 3 years later...