MakeWebGames

Some preliminary screenshots of the New Worlds Engine

a_bertrand

Those screenshots are here to show some of the features, and may not fully reflect the final product as there is still some work to do before release. However it may give you some hints of what's going on. Let's start with the registration page:

register.jpg

Once inside you get directly a tutorial which helps new comers to understand the game:

tutorial.jpg

An ajax chat is present on top or on bottom to allow chat between players:

chat.jpg

The admin panel is growing:

admin.jpg

A module creator wizard allows you to create the main files / hooks automatically. Work remaining on your side? Code the logic!

module_wizard.jpg An

action log to follow what's going on? Sure it's there:

action_log.jpg

The (useless) profiler:

profiler_enabled.jpg

And the query which have been run (visible via the profiler):

query_running.jpg

Direct text edition (click on the pen and you can modify live the text displayed):

direct_text_edit.jpg

Enable or disable (live) any of the modules:

enable_disable.jpg

Look good a_b.

But just my 2 cents...

I mean this in the best possible way... You need to aim more towards (excuse me for saying) "Web 2.0", content needs to look dynamic and interchangeable, currently it looks very static.

It might just be the current layout of things, but it needs more... how can I say it, sparkle. I know there is behind the scenes, but you need to visualize it with the front-end as well.

/end 2cents

Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

You would go more for an ajax / jquery way to do, I fully see what you mean. However I avoided on purpose such things, reducing the javascript to the only a couple of things. The reason behind it, is that if people with little knowledge need to pick the engine, having ajax / jquery on top of the other technology will not help them to start. So I aimed at the simplicity over the super responsive / dynamic site.

The current layout is also a default layout (btw not fully finished either), and you as game owner should change it. I doubt many end games will use the provided layout anyhow, right? Would you like to use a default template yourself? I doubt. So the included template doesn't need to be an incredible one. It need to be ok or good but not more.

Finally, a medieval look is not exactly the kind of "web 2.0" ;) could be my opinion but if you could expand / explain your view, please do so. I'm interested to see your opinion / point of view.

I think it's just the current style you have. Large block colours are hard to pull of unless you go for some rather interesting styling. I'm sure if a decent designer was to get a hold on it and make something to make it look allot more web 2.0 without the need for jQuery/Javascript.

Peter was the designer of the template, yet it's not is fault as the CSS / HTML is mine not his. I don't like personally textured background, but I see, it lacks like gradient, and others. Sure it's a bit flat. I'm more than willing to pay for someone helping me on this field, with all the work I have to do ;) but over time I may improve it. Simply put I have to admit that the layout is not (as explained before) my main priority due to the fact I doubt many will use it at the end.

Ah fair enough. It's probably just my stupid attention to making sure every single character on a template looks like it should be there, which sometimes does hinder the actual functionality of the script. From what you've posted it seems that this system is going to do something good to the text based gaming world and I look forward to trying it out when it see's day light.

Never said the look is not important, I simply said, as it's an engine, the look I could provide by default SHOULD NOT make it's room to the end game, right? Otherwise all the games using the engine would end up with the same look and feel. Sure the default template is not perfect, not super duper cool, or with animations, transitions or others. I tried instead to make the HTML as short as possible:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>my illusions game</title>
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/demo/favicon.ico" />
<link href="/demo/templates/public_art_medieval/medieval.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
</head>
<body>
   <div id='topBar'>
       <center>
           <div id='gameTitle'></div>
       </center>
       <div id='loginForm'></form>
       </div>
   </div>
   <div id='footerBar'></div>
   <div id='sideMenu'>
       <div id='sideMenuHeader'></div>
       <div id='sideMenuContent'><div id='sideMenuFooter'></div>
   </div></div>
   <div id='contentArea'></div>
</body>
</html>

Javascript is the de-facto when it comes to making a website these days, because it saves the developer time, and puts less strain on the server.

I personally think it should be employed as much as possible.

But, I wouldn't say jQuery is needed, I'd say just making a basic javascript framework is enough. If someone wants to extend it, jQuery can help with that...

As for styling, as you say beginners should take a liking to it. But I can say for sure that someone with little knowledge would prefer quality over performance, and it's your job as the creator of the product, to balance the two equally.

Hints for style: gradients, shadows, rounded-corners. All of these most simplistic things can be done with a few lines of CSS3, and would make the world's difference.

Eg. with no "sparkle".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]266[/ATTACH]

With "sparkle".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]267[/ATTACH]

no_spark.png.acea2dc96a131fa54e64897f7145c1ad.png

with_spark.png.ae6c3a43b56f713f4ea3d4dc2fa996d4.png

For the Javascript part: Saving time on the developer side is unsure, but you may indeed save some time on the server if well done, or on the other side load it too much if you try to make interactive pages. However yes, I do agree that Javascript would be something nearly standard this days but not for the target I'm pointing at. If you look at the kind of post we got on MWG about even stupid lines missing maybe simply a semi-column ( ; ) you think that those same guys will be able to understand the difference between a server side code and a client side code? Pro developers may not need any pre-made engine, where new comers will not want to be completely lost.

For your "sparkle" example, yes I thank you, that's what I thought afterward, too flat for your taste, lack of gradients and more. I will add some more, but again, it's an engine which should provide the base work, not something you install and hope to make millions of dollars without any work.

For the Javascript part: Saving time on the developer side is unsure, but you may indeed save some time on the server if well done, or on the other side load it too much if you try to make interactive pages. However yes, I do agree that Javascript would be something nearly standard this days but not for the target I'm pointing at. If you look at the kind of post we got on MWG about even stupid lines missing maybe simply a semi-column ( ; ) you think that those same guys will be able to understand the difference between a server side code and a client side code? Pro developers may not need any pre-made engine, where new comers will not want to be completely lost.

I totally agree with you on that.

But on a side note, experienced developers do need engines/frameworks/etc.. It makes our lives a lot easier(you know why).

So you just might need to bargain in the "aspects" of your engine that would be appealing to the more experienced group of developers.

Yes I see your point. Well nothing prevent to have mods with JS and others without JS. Anyhow, I'm pretty much confident that the engine even in its current state do have to offer to more experienced developers. If you want, I can give you access to it, and would be grateful to hear your opinion by then and see what could be then improved.

Yes I see your point. Well nothing prevent to have mods with JS and others without JS. Anyhow, I'm pretty much confident that the engine even in its current state do have to offer to more experienced developers.

I guess you are right, extensions are pretty easily done in javascript(eg. jQuery.fn)

If you want, I can give you access to it, and would be grateful to hear your opinion by then and see what could be then improved.

I wouldn't mind.