MakeWebGames

McCode V3 vs New Worlds Engine

Uridium

Well, even if my engine scare them and at the end force them to come with a better code, it's already an achievement, even if it would not make me any good ;)

Currently I'm working on the documentation... hard work... hard work indeed... I would need an editor helping me improving the text quality / typos.

Im more engrossed in Alains new engine has a lot going for it :)

With alain getting ready to release his engine, do you think anyone is gonna wanna buy v3? with the shitty support they have given the community for the past 3 years, I think not.

Yes I think people will buy V3.

After all, it has a bad reputation but at the same time it has a reputation of being an easy to set up 'game', not to mention we as a community have provided countless modifications (I doubt this will cease with v3) and support for past engines, that it is very easy to see why one would go for MCCodes over a relatively new (I'm guessing Alains engine will be new when v3 comes out but who knows) engine, that has very little in terms of modules (again with the new).

However those with experience in dealing with MCCodes and it's "Team", may choose Alain's engine over MCCodes, someone that does not know of it's past or has not dealt with them may not.

Now if they do get their act together, and someone new comes along, which engine would you go for, one that has an established community and pages of addons freely available, or one that while may be the better of the two doesn't have either just yet? Think about it.

However those with experience in dealing with MCCodes and it's "Team", may choose Alain's engine over MCCodes, someone that does not know of it's past or has not dealt with them may not.

Now if they do get their act together, and someone new comes along, which engine would you go for, one that has an established community and pages of addons freely available, or one that while may be the better of the two doesn't have either just yet? Think about it.

Yes I agree. Those who do know mccodes will most likely choose alain's engine (including my self).. If people do their research before buying they will eventually find out about mccodes past. Especially if they come to these forums how ever most people don't do much research. so yes those that don't know mccodes will choose that over alain's.

Look at the support aspect of all this. Knowing Mccodes and their reputation, and knowing alain and his reputation around these forums, who's engine would you choose? Alain is very active on these forums, he's always helping someone or guiding them in the right direction. Dabs and Coldblooded on the other hand are never here, never trying to help, never trying to point anyone in the right direction. That pretty much sums it up.

Mccodes engine is outdated, Redux is recoded outdated v2 No updates, lack of support from the creators among other things. Lets keep it real, Do you really think that they are going to support their 4th engine any better? Hopeful but doubtful.

@Alain: Generally speaking, updating is much easier than from scratch, and from track record, I doubt anything drastic will happen in v3, as they still have to stick to the 'ease of use' this term applies to it's developer community in creating addons for it as well as general users, not mention I am sure they are thinking about the majority of the mods on this site are for MCCv2, so if they don't have something that either works with those mods, or isn't so difficult to update those mods to work, what a waste of the past what 4/5 years of mods available.

@Chicka, note my post hinges on "if they do get their act together". MCCodes have a name for themselves, relatively speaking 90% of new members come from popular MCCodes games out there, they hear that their favorite game uses MCCodes as a base, and want a game, MCCodes seems to be the obvious path for them to take, but like you said research should be done.

Djkanna: true, normally an upgrade is easier than going to a different software. However I must admit I discussed with ColdBlooded and during the discussion I said that they are facing 2 possible roads: keep a good compatibility but end up with an engine which is basically the same old stuff or go for something new and loose the compatibility but get a better design, he answered me that they are thinking to go to the second option which would kill the compatibility.Think that even OS do take from time to time this road, look at the Mac OS X for example, which did it a couple of times already.

Now, I don't say McCode V3 is useless, or will be worse than my engine, I cannot say it as I didn't saw it, nor I do know what they will do. I just warn you guys that it may not simply be V2 + patches + something else, it may be something completely different. Actually I think it would be much better for all to have something different. First of all, because instead of teaching new comers poor ways to code (sorry Dabs, your V2 code is not exactly follow any best practices), but may actually allow to get better games in a shorter time.

On my own side, I can tell you that all the efforts have been done on the New Worlds Engine to make it an easy to work with engine, both for a simple game owner as well as for the developers. The code is and will be clean, no complex constructions, no complex hierarchies and yet a documentation which is growing (even if some times my sentences are not really human readable so far, isn't it srachid?). I'm also completely open to discuss any particular aspect of the engine, and my primary goal is to provide a good base code, more than actually create for myself a market. Also, I'm willing to collaborate with game owners to provide some of the functionality they may need for their game and this at no cost, if the code will be then available to others as well, or even simply as consultant and offer advice how to implement feature X or Y.

What I will not do however is to do custom work for any of you, which mean, no special module for that particular game.

BTW I decided to split those posts from the original thread as for me it was going completely off topic and I don't particularly like to hi-jack other people threads.

Finally, don't worry for any kind of bad feeling due to my game going against McCode, we already discussed the matter with ColdBlooded and there is no animosity / war between us where actually we are more like willing to collaborate (but not drop any of the 2 engines).

Djkanna: [...]However I must admit I discussed with ColdBlooded and during the discussion I said that they are facing 2 possible roads: keep a good compatibility but end up with an engine which is basically the same old stuff or go for something new and loose the compatibility but get a better design, he answered me that they are thinking to go to the second option which would kill the compatibility.[...]

Oh fair enough, this I did not know.

Yes, bertrand and I frequently collaborate with each other during the development of the engines. Everything with regards to the v3 engine (not yet the official name by the way) will be posted publicly in the MCCodes v3 subforum in the weeks to come. We can all discuss and see the progress of the engine there. Our focus is to involve the community as much as possible by providing them with what they need and is best for a game development.

Well as said, I'm willing to help any game developers which want to build a game based on New Worlds Engine. So if any of you have an idea, or a project or anything, then let me know ;)

If you get a huge crowd on that engine fast. I'm going to be building tons of add-ons.