MakeWebGames

hmm...do you guys think this is bad ?..

Curt

Well as everyone knows facebook is a huge social network. Many text based games have a facebook page.

My question is what are you guys opinions about posting links on another games facebook page ?...such as posting my game link on the torn city facebook page..(which i did and got a couple sign-ups :P)

I personally have done it a few times and don't see an issue with it.

What do you guys think ?..

I see no problem as long as it's along the lines of

"if you like this game check ....... Out" but if it was something like " come try the best game on the world out, better this one, then go to ....."

Plus dont spam (or even post it twice on the same page within a month or two)

I dont see what is bad for players posting links in games, if they know they're players will still play after someone post a link up of another game, what is the worry?! I would be ok with other game links, where ever they post them.

But I do agree with Dayo, about posting it then bashing the game you posted your link in.

I dont see anything wrong with it either. Facebook is a social network plain and simple. Posting a link to your game I see nothing wrong. Besides the moderator of the facebook site can delete it if they so choose.

But I do agree with Dayo, about posting it then bashing the game you posted your link in.

x2

I am sorry but not to start a fight with anyone here. But how is it okay, that I grab a user base through advertising or even just putting together a game that people like and tell others by AND then you come along to say ooo I can just post a link as they did all the hard work . It's bad business practice, I do agree that you shouldn't be afraid to lose players if your game is good enough but that is not a good enough of stance to say it's fine to just post on others platforms.

I am sorry but not to start a fight with anyone here. But how is it okay, that I grab a user base through advertising or even just putting together a game that people like and tell others by AND then you come along to say ooo I can just post a link as they did all the hard work . It's bad business practice, I do agree that you shouldn't be afraid to lose players if your game is good enough but that is not a good enough of stance to say it's fine to just post on others platforms.

Im not disagreeing with you Peter but its a free country to say whatever you want. If the owner of the game dosent like it on his posts that is why there is a delete button.

Before coding and everything else I use to be a player of a lot of games, I have always taken the precautions of the players view, most of 90% of them was always asking why it is not ok to post different game links, the owners use to respond saying "It's the rule, we prohibit any links advertising a different game then the one your playing." However they failed to mention it was not that, it was indeed they did not want their player base to leave. Which is understandable, but if your players had the freedom to post links, they would not leave your game, they would continue to play, knowing that the owner/staff is moderately better then other games that prohibits this kind of behavior with game links being advertised.

We all know Torn.com is blocked on most several games, which I don't think it serves a purpose to block it, players will sign up to torn.com anytime they want, no one can tell a player what games they should be playing regardless if your losing a player, I have learned with games once 1 player leaves 2 more joins then more joins anyways. So blocking other game links is kind of stupid.

I understand you would not like to use space to advertise another game that is not yours, I get that, however players will do it anyways, via forum,chat,mail,send item,cash message and what not that has text writing allowed, they also will decode anything you block, players are smarter then the coder and will bypass any blockage, rather it gets them ban or what not. It's better to have happy players then mad angry ones.

I have really not found a player getting angry about not posting a game link. It's their game and why should players being trying to advertise other games (Mostly trying to grab referral points for themselves). I am sorry lucky, but I will have 100% disagree with you. I agree on the part that it's good to have happy players, but doesn't mean you have to let them go ahead and advertise other games freely on your site. It just doesn't make sense.

Thanks for everyones opinions.

I agree with dayo about not bashing/spamming the page constantly but I dont see where one post every once in a while would hurt...

In my game I dont allow players to send referral links to other games but I do allow them to mention other games as I allow them to make cross-game trades at their own risk.

I also see exactly where you are coming from aswell peter....