MakeWebGames

Flash Section?

Sim

i think it would be a good add

i plan on making a few flash games to add to my rpg game as something for players to do. but i barely no the language yet

i probably wont be messing with flash much untill i put my game on hosting, since i cant seem to get my crossdomain.xml to work on my xampp server

• 2 weeks later...

Mind you a_b, there are some Flash developers here. But it's not their platform of choice.

Actionscript is one of those "in-the-closet" things, most people know it, easy to adapt to it, but only serves a small goal.

I'd say yes, mainly due to the fact that this is a type of programming forum in general and people's knowledge should be expanded to include Actionscript/Flash.

Plus, less people here uses C# than Flash, if "some" are allowed to broaden people's knowledge on C#, then Flash (even though it's a total waste of time, and rarely get's used) as intolerable as it is - should also be allowed.

I wish all the flash developers would speak up! I think that a lot of people would be interested in learning what its about, what it entails ect ect. Ive toyed with flash a bit, but I get confused with php, so that was a no go. A_B has a valid point, if that section is going to be empty, its not gunna happen, so speak up you guys! I want to see what you can share about flash!

Not many people use flash as their primary income as you need to be quite talented in the design aspects of it to succeed. It's a fun thing, but with the new advances in other scripting languages it's becoming less used.

A script versus an animation file, a script is smaller and can have direct access to the DOM. Flash is great as an independent application, though but limited.

Through in a few tutorials and references will automatically attract some members to begin exploring the specific field.

I myself haven't used flash as a primary development tool, but there are options. Most designers tend to use flash more than a high-level programming language because it is easier to learn and use.

With actionscript you can move an object with a few clicks of a mouse, while with something like C/# you need to create or import the object/shape first and then define specific xy coordinates to move from and to(which includes calculating every aspect of the sphere and screen size itself), which requires a bit more time and understanding. Even using an additional 2D creating program takes more work.

On a side note, since AS 3.0 it has become moderately more powerful, enough to contend with others.

I still vote yes, broader is better.

Flash as certainly some advantages, but what you can do in flash you can do in C# too via Silverlight... Yet I don't say flash is not good for example it offers a great multi-platform solution. And we don't require people here to use flash as primary tool simply, start discussing about flash for example in http://makewebgames.io/board721-other-programming/ and once we have enough chat about it we will simply create the section and move things.

I wouldn't mind having an flash/actionscript board, but really, there are already many flash developer forums far bigger than mwg. Flash game development is huge, much bigger than web games and there are plenty of resources and communities that already exist for that.

Not many people use flash as their primary income as you need to be quite talented in the design aspects of it to succeed. It's a fun thing, but with the new advances in other scripting languages it's becoming less used.

Actually, with sponsorships, contests, ad revenue, game sales, and more, flash game developers can earn quite a lot, enough for it to be their main profession.

With actionscript you can move an object with a few clicks of a mouse

With any kind of advanced behaviour or interaction, then that won't work and you would have to code it the same way as in C#. The adobe flash interface is mostly useful only for animations where you can modify individual frames. For any kind of interactive flash application, most of the work is done in code. It's possible to completely work on a flash application purely from code and then compiling it (see adobe flex).