MakeWebGames

Slow downs

a_bertrand

We'll look into this.

It would be great if when someone experiences slowness they note down / post the time it happens. We don't live in the same timezone as most of you so some information as to what times it's being slow for you guys along with your timezone will help things along. It's very possible that this is being caused by something like the server's backup routine.

This problem only occurs for a few times, it could be that the time it slows is if the site is run on shared or vps then there is a high activity rate at that specific time. Maybe upgrading is a good idea.

George.

We host the site ourselves and haven't (to our knowledge) had any similar issues with any of our other sites, so that shouldn't be the problem.

We did recently optimize the database and repair a couple of tables that had crashed, which might help things a little.

The search for the underlying cause shall continue, although we might be moving servers in the near future anyway.

We host the site ourselves and haven't (to our knowledge) had any similar issues with any of our other sites, so that shouldn't be the problem.

We did recently optimize the database and repair a couple of tables that had crashed, which might help things a little.

The search for the underlying cause shall continue, although we might be moving servers in the near future anyway.

Are your servers as good as McCodes engine itself?

If so, I know the problem....

That wording really wasn't called for, but I'll answer anyways.

We do have a pretty powerful dedicated server that we rent/lease (I forget which term it technically is) from a company in the US, so it should be able to handle hosting this forum. The traffic isn't of a degree that I would expect it to cause lag.

If it were the provider's network I would expect reports from other sites on the server of similar problems (which I will try to check out further to make sure no other site is having the same problem).

The others are definitely still possibilities, and server load has been unusually high as of late so we'll look into it.

That wording really wasn't called for, but I'll answer anyways.

We do have a pretty powerful dedicated server that we rent/lease (I forget which term it technically is) from a company in the US, so it should be able to handle hosting this forum. The traffic isn't of a degree that I would expect it to cause lag.

The wording may not be necessary but it's rather true, no?

I thought you meant they were your servers, owned and managed by you at your house and judging by what you've done with McCodes, I can only assume that the servers are cheap and put online as fast as you can manage to make a quick buck.

But hey, I'll trust that you're servers are good and I'll still hope you put some time in to V3 ;)

Fair enough. But maintaining a server where I live in New Zealand would be many times more expensive than renting/leasing one, the international bandwidth costs here are very high.

The server should (theoretically) perform very well but it's possible there are problems we haven't found yet slowing it down.

I have this problem too from time to time, normally in the afternoons. 14h00 to 17h00 CAT(GMT+2), any time between that I normally get a delayed response. It's not everyday, and not at the same time always - so I do not think it is backups DBS.

Most likely - as you have a dedicated server - is that an application is failing or mis-configured and pulling resources. Another thing could be that something is pulling on the network(like a_b said), you will need to check for that with your logs. I'd say you check all the logs, and the application logs.

One last thing that could be, even though it is vague: but I'm mentioning it because of the "audience" the site has, is a potential DoS. A single kid whom is sending requests to the server, not strong enough to kill it but strong enough to slow it down. I'd suspect a few kiddies that would actually do that.

Not my call but there was a cronjob for feeds coming from alain bertrand sites as CETWG, CEGamers etc, those forum sections (was in the portal IIRC , seems to be removed)

It could be due to the removal of the section(s) and not the cronjob that it generates errors and causes problems somehow. What script wouldn't produce errors if it GETs data and can't POST

So maybe CB and Dabs look somewhere around that part at the ACP of MWG

One last thing that could be, even though it is vague: but I'm mentioning it because of the "audience" the site has, is a potential DoS. A single kid whom is sending requests to the server, not strong enough to kill it but strong enough to slow it down. I'd suspect a few kiddies that would actually do that.

As previous owner of CE/MWG we had an attack, the attack on us was close to 5k hits per second, it's deffo no DOS nor mySQL Flooding imo.

• 1 month later...