MakeWebGames

help with learning php

shinobi

hey i couldnt find a better place to post this .

i am learning php ive watch all the tutorials i still dont feel the diffrence in my knowlagde of php , how do i really learn to know it as the text based mafia makers know it !

can you please answer my question ! i am not getting anywhere

thanks

shinobi

Hello,

PHP is not something you will learn quickly just by watching a few Video Tutorials. It will take some time, dedication and a will to want to learn.

If you don't know already, the internet can pretty much teach you just about anything.

W3schools.com is a good place to start. Also getting hands on is a good way to learn as well.

as many before me has said Google is your friend...lol

Good luck learning =)

Curt

Well if it is your first programing language, then it certainly cost you a lot of time to understand the concepts (variables, loops, arrays, functions etc...) if not then it's just matter of learn the keywords linked to the language basically.

So if this is your first language, you should maybe try with VERY basic things, and try to understand the concepts I mentioned before as well as others... But you will find all sorts of info on the web. To learn, just reading is in fact not enough, you must try, and retry until you grab the concept. For that, pick very simple goals and try to implement them. A goal like "I want a game" is way too big to start with.

first off there is just no way you have looked over all the tutorials on php. in any case i used books and php.net. i find books better then the net however that is just my opinion. if you wish to learn off the net i would start on youtube to get the basic stuff. this should not take to long. by basic i really do mean things like echo and/or print, functions,variables etc. once that is done youtube starts to be less and less helpful. it has to be lots of time reading in front of the screen trial and error and tutroials on set tasks such as "create a login and register page" here are some good things to look at just to kick start you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwqWJ0REZpE

http://www.php.net/docs.php

http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

http://www.learnphp.org/categories/PHP-MySQL-Tutorials-PHP-Basics-Tutorials.html

one last thing, start with html :)

inside mccodes ?

do u mean u used mccodes codes to make a game then edited it using what u learnt

if yes cool

how do i start the game using mccodes lite version ?

No I took what I learned from the aforementioned places and used that knowledge inside of MCCodes, for example creating modifications and basically just modifying the source.

Dominion has a point, book are generally better material for learning. One upside to the Web however I find to be that it's pretty easy and quick to find something specific (EG: a function) rather that going through a book just to find a function.

So probably would be best to mix Web and books together O'Reilly Media have a lot of helpfull books if your looking for Ebooks (they do paperbacks too I believe).

O'Reilly Media Books On PHP

Try writing scripts lol

No, really.

I wanted a script, I tried writing it.

When the limited stuff I knew couldn't write the script, I google'd for what would work.

Then tried to learn what it was and how it worked.

Each time I try and do something new that I don't know i google it, mainly directs me to php.net or w3schools but the concept remains.

It's not the best way to learn the language in a whole, but it gives you the general idea.

But as said above many times, it's not something you learn over night and you never really KNOW it as it always updates to newer versions :)

W3Schools + PHP Manual was what started me out, I first learned HTML before PHP because I was told it was an easy concept to grasp.

Once I understood the ins-and-outs of HTML I started reading W3S's PHP section, I made scripts that were very basic, majority of them were <form>'s that used POST/GET to relay messages.

I wanted to learn a bit more in-depth PHP so I joined PHP coding sites, looked at what other people had coded and tried my best to understand it.

In short, I believe the best way of learning a PHP is to edit/view other peoples work (With their permission).

• 4 months later...

Well here is my story:

When i decided to learn web design... I started at w3 schools, reading up on HTML and CSS, once go grips with that (which was fairly easy lol) Decided to move on to PHP...

So I literally swallowed all info about it on W3 schools, and did not get a break through...

So bought a PHP and MySQL for Dummies, swallowed that as well in 1 or 2 days, still couldnt do anything lol

Then watched a few videos on youtube, then when first signs of me understanding the concept behind PHP and coding in general started to come. I recommen searchin for "phpacademy" on youtube, really best PHp videos there is on the web lol

But the real breakthroukh came, when I actualy tryed to start coding... I am not really that good yet, but created a PM system, gym system, slots game, register and login system.

So the bottom line is.. Look at it as to learning a language. You can read all you want about it, but you will not know it well till you start speaking in it. Same with PHP, just you have to start coding, something simple for starters.. and before you know it you will be on your way ;)