MakeWebGames

"Interactive" tutorials over C#

a_bertrand

C# is a language which has been developed by Microsoft and is now a standard ECMA (like Javascript). Support on Linux and Mac is offered and could be used even on smart phones (iPhone, or others).

Now... C# is a great language (don't be fooled by the fact it has been developed by Microsoft) which can be used in nearly all the possible usage. Here is a short list

- Windows services

- Standalone console applications (linux, mac, windows)

- Standalone GUI (linux, mac, windows)

- Web development (linux, mac, windows on iis and on apache)

- Browser applications like flash (linux weak, mac and windows good)

- Smart phone development (windows phones, iphone (released) and android (beta))

But that's not the main point of the language. What really makes the difference is the quality of the code you have (compared to PHP for example) and the HUGE library you may use (either directly offered or the huge number of additional lib / tools / sources you may found on internet).

Said all that, who would be interested, for once, to go away from PHP and check together (in a bunch of threads / posts as tutorials) how you do things and what it can do for you?

Requirements: mainly run on windows, even if you can develop on Linux or Mac, and then agree to download the development tools (free).

So let me know, as I will invest time to write stuff ONLY if there is really some interest.

i would love to see a topic on a standalone c# application, however would you think about doing a video using hyper cam or something like it? just asking since i would think a topic on it (even a basic topic) would be long therefore more people would sit here and watch a video on youtube etc either way i would love to see topics on c# from you :)

Well as we will pick a standalone GUI based application, I would say you just need this one:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2010-Visual-CS

It's free, and contains all what you need: a great IDE, compiler and debugger all in one.

If you have the professional version or whatever else version you don't need any thing else.

My idea was to build a FTP client which would allow drag / drop operations. What do you think?

Ok invested 1 hour time and worked on a first steps:

Link removed as old...

It's in PDF as it's much easier for me to copy / paste images into Word and then simply generate the PDF. This first steps will allow you to create the layout of our application, without even writing a single line of code.

Let me know if you manage to get the result or if you have troubles. Once this is done we can continue.

Beside you will find all sorts of tutorials on the web as C# is one growing language (not like others which are shrinking), it takes me a whole day to produce a tutorial like that. So I may do a second one, but I shall really see some interest about it. Also I would like to have some input about what you want to see as next one in case.

Thanks for the ideas:

- A notepad would involve little to nothing to.

- A browser (if we use the pre-made component) is also really not difficult.

- A calculator is oddly enough quiet complex as you must implement some sort of "stack" due to the precedence of operators and such.

- Games are lot more work and could take weeks.

Here's what I made in C# with a_bertrand's help:

http://code.google.com/p/andz/downloads/detail?name=jcc.zip

It's a javascript compiler using google's closure compiler. Just paste some javascript into the left box, click compile and it will 'compile' it into the box on the right.

(If nothing happens, it means your code can't be compiled - advanced compilation needs the script to meet certain requirements)

Oh, and it needs an internet connection to work.

I'm going to work on it a bit more to make it easier to use, but I just thought I'd show what I was able to do after following this tutorial :D

• 4 months later...