MakeWebGames

What's next ? Google ISP

mdshare

You people just don't understand Google. Face it, if it wasn't for Google, this website in particular wouldn't even have 1k members.

Actually if google wasnt here there would be some other search engine and that would bring this forum 1k members, if the forum is good (which this forum really is :) ) and good advertising is done then the members will come in regardless of the search engine. If not google then yahoo or bing might be the ones everyone is using now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from " Spudinski"

You people just don't understand Google. Face it, if it wasn't for Google, this website in particular wouldn't even have 1k members.

Actually if google wasnt here there would be some other search engine and that would bring this forum 1k members, if the forum is good (which this forum really is :) ) and good advertising is done then the members will come in regardless of the search engine. If not google then yahoo or bing might be the ones everyone is using now.

Actaully, if it wasnt for the two guys who began google, the internet would have continued to go un-indexed and therefore not acceptable for commercialization. It is infact solely down to the pair (forget thire names) at google who built the structure for comercialization. If it was not for google we would have no way to index web pages and filter relevant information. So you wouldn't have anyway to find specific data, no way to sort the data into useful information and no way to drive traffic through advertisements.

Because lets not forget that it was infact googles adsense that pathed the way to commercially viable internet companies.

I see you point that yahoo or bing could have done what google achieved. But the fact is they had no idea how to use the internet untill google pathed the way for comercialization. They owe their success to google. Google in respect owes their success to the developer of the internet an ex scientist at cern who gave it away for free in the first place.

Theres the history lesson. ;)

Hahaha this starts to be funny. I don't know if you ever used internet BEFORE google came. If so, then you should know that everything was working fine EVEN without google. There was a good search engine called altavista (still here: http://www.altavista.com/) and yahoo was more important at that time. Simply google came and gave more relevant results and people started to use google instead of the others, but don't be fooled, internet was nearly as usable before than it is now. So no, google didn't invented the search engine or the indexing. What they invented or tuned is their "page rank" where the relevance of a site is based on the links from the others, where before it was based on the page itself... and some other tricks.

What they invented or tuned is their "page rank" where the relevance of a site is based on the links from the others, where before it was based on the page itself... and some other tricks.
Which basicly means that they connected internet users with relevant information and built a advertising structure and ranking system that would expand comercialization expenentially giving small internet businesses the power to compete with the web's biggest contenders, so that anyone could create the next facebook, ebay, google. It basicly ment that you could start making decent profits on online products and gave the internet more strengh than ever.

Don't get me wrong though, its not google alone who done this. But they played their part in revolutionising the way we use the internet. Theres no doubt about that.

So they just improved some stuff but invented nothing (so far).
Well lets not forget about google wave and google maps. Both brilliant new designs by google. Nether the less with google taking over 2 billion searches a day worldwide with no other search engine getting anywhere close to that. You say they never created and search engines and advertising, I never said they did. All I was suggesting is that google took an idea, made it better and made the internet an equal playing field where small sites had the ability to compete with big ones.

When you look at the big picture of what google has created to make our life easier and how we use it in normal day life, i think its fair to ssay they play a big part in the internet and communication revolution.

• 2 months later...
I think I would welcome a Google ISP in the UK. Why?

Even in a "competitive" market like the UK we get a poor service, poor customer service and relatively high prices.

I won't launch into a tirade about my provider (British Telecom) but suffice to say those and Virgin are considered to have overall poor customer satisfaction. Now if another big boy enters the arena it gives them a kick up the backside, and makes them improve their service or haemorrhage customers.

I equate it to the entrance of Chrome to the browser market. I don't use it, nor do I intend on starting. However, it has forced Microsoft to start innovating again on IE.

It may come at the cost of smaller providers but I am not entirely convinced that is the case...

I'm also on BT, they are shite

• 2 weeks later...
I was on BT for about 2 month it was horrid i switched back to NTL/ComCast/Virgin Media ASAP.

BT are just a complete fail... There speeds are bad, and the "amazing" BT Home Hub is bad also, there have been many problems with it, one of which is that it updates the modem 5-6 times a day (going off what mine does) which means the internet is down for 2-3 minutes if not more, which is annoying when your using programs that require internet and/or busy working away on the internet.

I've been through a few internet providers in my time on the internet XD

Tiscali = crap

Talk Talk = Crap when I was on it, but not it seems not too bad they've serious updated somethings.

Bt = crap

Virgin = not too bad actually but sick of all their frickin' mail they keep sending me (I'm happy with my current provider stop sending me mails (just incase anyone at virgin reads this XD )

Now I'm on Sky broadband as part of my Sky package (you know TV, Phone line etc) and it's not too bad considering my location being rather far away from my local telephone exchange.

Hmm i was going to go with sky broadband but for some reason BT's sale's men lurred me over to there provider, big mistake.

Lol, tis what their trained for...

(This topic could be getting offtopic slightly but atleast we're talking about ISP's....Sort of)

I've had nothing but issues with Virgin Media.. As soon as Sky up their line where I live, i'm shifting to Sky.. Virgin Media are just awful. You pay stupid prices for unlimited package, yet they cut your speed to 28kb/s if you download more than 3.5GB?? Says on their site the limit is 7GB :huh:

Also had problems with the junction box outside which was damaged causing intermittent connection issues randomly, some times for 5 minutes sometimes for 48 hours. All they had to to was replace it which took all of 5 minutes..... Took them a year :thumbdown:

Also got sick and tired of the Indians telling me to turn my god damn modem off - over and over and over... "IT'S THE FREAKING JUNCTION BOX!" - Drove me so close to some racist remarks. You only have to search google for "Virgin Media sucks" to see the thousands of p*ssed ex VM users.

Awful ISP from my experience. :thumbdown: