MakeWebGames

What's in the game?

Canjucks

I was just wanting to pose a question(s) of the community of what they rank as the most important when building your game and you determine its success?

For me:

• Economy - not inflated (reserve bank can't lift interest rates here to contain prices out of control lol)
  • Balance - costs, rewards, progress
  • How the game flows - features, do they make sense? How many is to many? Is it fit for purpose?
  • Planning - future expansion of the game, what was left out at release and will new mod enhance game?
  • Does the game work with the cell phone/tablet mobile user? As opposed to PC?

Success?

• One would say game purchases
  • Online users per hour/day
  • Number of registers users to Online (retention)
  • Strike rate of advertising to paid user

My thoughts above aren't all and not limited by any stretch. Who agrees/disagrees? Can you expand on my ideas?

It's a huge pain in the ass, but a lot of the successful games I've seen, have a huge role play/chat/forums community. 

I personally have an intense dislike for role playing. Chat is a pain in the ass. And forums are a necessary evil.

That being said ... more players than not seem to enjoy all 3.

2 hours ago, newttster said:

It's a huge pain in the ass, but a lot of the successful games I've seen, have a huge role play/chat/forums community. 

I personally have an intense dislike for role playing. Chat is a pain in the ass. And forums are a necessary evil.

That being said ... more players than not seem to enjoy all 3.

That is a fair point and so bloody hard to manage, so much time to invest just in that area as well. Discord seems to be the way to go these days. 

23 hours ago, Canjucks said:

That is a fair point and so bloody hard to manage, so much time to invest just in that area as well. Discord seems to be the way to go these days. 

I agree. At least with Discord, it's off your site and needs less managing. From what I've seen most players these days open their own discord for the games they play and invite feloow players to join them there. I do think that having at least the forums is needed and possibly a forum designed for role players as well. Sucks, but there it is.

22 minutes ago, newttster said:

I agree. At least with Discord, it's off your site and needs less managing. From what I've seen most players these days open their own discord for the games they play and invite feloow players to join them there. I do think that having at least the forums is needed and possibly a forum designed for role players as well. Sucks, but there it is.

very true

I use chat in mine hehe.
Well I've never really had any successfull sites, but always maintained people coming back.
All i can do is keep at it, my dedication shows in my game and work which is what most people come back for.
I guess not having loads of users allows me to listen to what users i have to improove things.

Game eco. Well with Mccodes based, theres no chance, I've found they keep getting out of control.

On 5/27/2023 at 8:22 PM, peterisgb said:

I use chat in mine hehe.
Well I've never really had any successfull sites, but always maintained people coming back.
All i can do is keep at it, my dedication shows in my game and work which is what most people come back for.
I guess not having loads of users allows me to listen to what users i have to improove things.

Game eco. Well with Mccodes based, theres no chance, I've found they keep getting out of control.

I've never found a chat that works well enough to stop the players from bitchin' about they can't do specific colours, they can't do this emoji or that. Bah! Too much extra work for little return.

I find what usually sends the game economy way out of control is the Donator items that players want to sell. I think the easiest way to curb it is to hard code a minimum selling price to avoid player funding and a maximum selling price (usually 10x the minimum) to avoid forced inflation by the players. Do some bitch about it, yeah, they do ... but for the most part players are happy with it because they can still help their buddies selling cheap to them and they also know what the most is they can get for their item. I find it also opens mini price wars between players. Silly crap like selling it for a buck or coin less than someone else. Kind of fun to watch what they do sometimes.