MakeWebGames

It has been a very long time

OOPLFun

Hey all, my name is OOPLFun.

I am a 40 year old .net developer who used to dabble in PHP web development 15 years ago. Back then this was a new site, and I would release add on over on MCCodes.
This was a happening place back then, MCCODES was like the only text mmo game engine. I came here  wanting to make my own games, which I did before moving on to running a gaming network with a friend hosting most of the MP games on steam. 

That said I am a boring .net dev now doing normal 40 year old .net dev things and was reminiscing of being able to be creative and do my own thing while playing with PHP and JS.

So I wrote a text based game engine, the one I waned to write 15 years ago, yet with all the 2022 bells and whistles. Then I came here and was going to show off my old school engine, expecting some awesoem new and modern MVC ASP MCCodes solution to have been developed and an awesome 2022 vide and feel to everything.

Yet its a time capsule....even though MCCODEs was the only game engine, there was never any advertising of the engine or the community,, while other engines like Unity, and Unreal made names for themselves in their markets, MCCODEs never seen itself as being the same and suffered for it. 

What MCCODE could have been never was, I expected to see YouTube using MCCODE to build experiences for their fans, for MCCODE to have addons that could be attached to normal websites to add an mmo feel to an otherwise boring solutions. I expected to see so much and it could have been all that as to this day there is no engine with the name or recognition MCCODEs have. Yes I know of the others, and they are still living in the past as well as far as development goes. MCCOdEs had the power to be something special.

yet the engine I coded in under a week I snow the most modern there is, I never expected to come here to show off what i thought to be childlike in comparison to what I expected MCCODE to be now, to be an improvement to what actual exists.

What happened here and why was everything so badly managed that this site is dead, why did Dave need to save it? Dave is awesome though, I bought a cart system from him 15 years ago, I do not buy code and I bought his..was great work and he even showed me how to install it. So great guy to be running things now, but what happened before that? Why isn't thing place booming with webdevs?

49 minutes ago, OOPLFun said:

Hey all, my name is OOPLFun.

I am a 40 year old .net developer who used to dabble in PHP web development 15 years ago. Back then this was a new site, and I would release add on over on MCCodes.
This was a happening place back then, MCCODES was like the only text mmo game engine. I came here  wanting to make my own games, which I did before moving on to running a gaming network with a friend hosting most of the MP games on steam. 

That said I am a boring .net dev now doing normal 40 year old .net dev things and was reminiscing of being able to be creative and do my own thing while playing with PHP and JS.

So I wrote a text based game engine, the one I waned to write 15 years ago, yet with all the 2022 bells and whistles. Then I came here and was going to show off my old school engine, expecting some awesoem new and modern MVC ASP MCCodes solution to have been developed and an awesome 2022 vide and feel to everything.

Yet its a time capsule....even though MCCODEs was the only game engine, there was never any advertising of the engine or the community,, while other engines like Unity, and Unreal made names for themselves in their markets, MCCODEs never seen itself as being the same and suffered for it. 

What MCCODE could have been never was, I expected to see YouTube using MCCODE to build experiences for their fans, for MCCODE to have addons that could be attached to normal websites to add an mmo feel to an otherwise boring solutions. I expected to see so much and it could have been all that as to this day there is no engine with the name or recognition MCCODEs have. Yes I know of the others, and they are still living in the past as well as far as development goes. MCCOdEs had the power to be something special.

yet the engine I coded in under a week I snow the most modern there is, I never expected to come here to show off what i thought to be childlike in comparison to what I expected MCCODE to be now, to be an improvement to what actual exists.

What happened here and why was everything so badly managed that this site is dead, why did Dave need to save it? Dave is awesome though, I bought a cart system from him 15 years ago, I do not buy code and I bought his..was great work and he even showed me how to install it. So great guy to be running things now, but what happened before that? Why isn't thing place booming with webdevs?

Short answer is simple, text based based games are dying out now everyone wants 3d mobile games if you do build a new text based browser game or mmorpg people generally ask is there a 3d version as I've come to know since owning a racing browser game I get asked alot about being in 3d etc.

3 hours ago, OOPLFun said:

Welcome Back.

I would love to see this, new frameworks and engines help keep the community alive even if its not what it once was.

Yeah the previous owners never really did anything with it, they seemed happy to clone torn and watch the money roll in. Not fixing blatant security flaws (or any updates for that matter) really killed off the script.

For a period (im gona estimate a year or two) the forums were completely dead, as in offline dead! @Dave has invested alot of time and money in building it back up to what it is today and it does seem to be moving in the right direction 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OOPLFun said:

Forums as a concept kind of died and the original owners had moved onto different initiatives which meant the old MWG died. It had a big part in my life and my career so I was happy to take a loss and invest time in bringing it back. The community isn't what it was but what we have is still fun and worthwhile. @Dayo pretty much changed the face of the forum to utilize his engine and populate our Marketplace with a lot of cool modules for GL.

Welcome back!