MakeWebGames

GL2 help forgotPassword from_email

Tom V

3 hours ago, Eurogangster said:

Find this in the forgotPassword.inc.php if (isset($user["U_id"])) { Under the $body add $headers = "From: [email protected]" ; And you are ready

Find this in the forgotPassword.inc.php

if (isset($user["U_id"])) {  

Under the $body add

$headers = "From: [email protected]" ; 

And you are ready

This method would hard-code the email address. OP wants to use the dynamically-set address in the site settings.
I'm not massively familiar with GL, so I can't advise further

I tried adding this to the allowed methods:       'from_email'=>array('type'=>'get')

I added this to constructModule:                  $this->page->addToTemplate("from_email", $settings->loadSetting("from_email"));

Then I added this: 

$from = $this->methodData->from_email; 
$headers[]= 'From:'.$from;

And I changed this line to this:    mail($user["U_email"], "Password Reset", $body, implode("\r\n", $headers));

The result is the email that is sent goes to spam folder, because the from address shows up as (unknown sender).  This is where I'm stuck.

public function method_reset() {
    $this->error("A password reset email has been sent to you!", "success");
    $user = $this->db->select("SELECT * FROM users INNER JOIN userStats ON (US_id = U_id) WHERE U_email = :email ORDER BY U_id DESC", array(":email" => $this->methodData->email));
    $url = $_SERVER["HTTP_ORIGIN"] . $_SERVER["SCRIPT_NAME"] . "?page=forgotPassword&action=resetPassword&auth=" . $user["U_password"] . "&id=" . $user["U_id"] . "";
    $settings = new settings();
    $from = $settings
    $headers['From'] = $settings->loadSetting('from_email');
    $body = "To reset your password please follow the link below: \r\n " . $url;
    mail($user["U_email"], "Password Reset", $body, $headers);

}

}

Try that. 
Edit: I’m on mobile and it’s real difficult to edit my code I pasted but delete the entire line that says $from = $settings

Edited by KyleMassacre
  • Like 2

$url = $_SERVER["HTTP_ORIGIN"] . $_SERVER["SCRIPT_NAME"] . "?page=forgotPassword&action=resetPassword&auth=" . $user["U_password"] . "&id=" . $user["U_id"] . "";
    $headers["From"] = "From: ";
    $headers['From'] .= $settings->loadSetting('from_email');
    $body = "To reset your password please follow the link below: \r\n " . $url;
    mail($user["U_email"], "Password Reset", $body, $headers['From']);

}

Made a small change so that the array value is formatted correctly. Tested and this solution is working! thank you KyleMassacre

5 hours ago, TonyCisseroni said:

Made a small change so that the array value is formatted correctly.

Based off the docs, it is formatted correctly if you are using v7.2 which I should've verified. To make it more universal, it should really be like this:

public function method_reset() {
    $this->error("A password reset email has been sent to you!", "success");
    $user = $this->db->select("SELECT * FROM users INNER JOIN userStats ON (US_id = U_id) WHERE U_email = :email ORDER BY U_id DESC", array(":email" => $this->methodData->email));
    $headers = null;
    if (version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '7.2.0') >= 0) {
        $headers['From'] = $settings->loadSetting('from_email');
        $headers['MIME-Version'] = '1.0';
        $headers['Content-type'] = 'text/html; charset=iso-8859-1';
    }
    else {
        $headers = 'From: '.$settings->loadSetting('from_email').'\r\n'.
            'MIME-Version: 1.0 \r\n'.
            'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 \r\n';
    }
    $body = "To reset your password please follow the link below: \r\n <a href='{$url}'>Click Here</a>" \r\n;
    $body .= "If the link is not visible, then follow this url below: \r\n {$url}"
    mail($user["U_email"], "Password Reset", wordwrap($body, 70, "\r\n"), $headers);

}

Edited by KyleMassacre
Updated code for mistake in else statement. PHP < 7.2 does not allow an array for headers

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to format the value in the array as "From: [email protected]" instead of just the email. The mail function needs it that way.

Also if you look at the mail function you have to call $headers['From'] or you will get an error because it's looking for a string value not an array.

The code I posted is tested and working. 

56 minutes ago, TonyCisseroni said:

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to format the value in the array as "From: [email protected]" instead of just the email. The mail function needs it that way.

Also if you look at the mail function you have to call $headers['From'] or you will get an error because it's looking for a string value not an array.

The code I posted is tested and working. 

I did it again, didn’t I lol. It’s not supposed to be an array in the else statement. Updated post

Edited by KyleMassacre
  • Like 1