MakeWebGames

Mobile App or not.

Aveneia

9 hours ago, Aveneia said:

Some of you have seen my little web browser game.  I was thinking about making a iOS and/of Android app with a web view that encapsulates the web site.  I may add a small feature or two, but it will basically be a re-skin of my current web game.

What are your thoughts on this?

Would you prefer to play a browser game in the browse.  DO you think I could reach more players by wrapping my web game in a mobile app.

TORN recently released an iOS app that adds notification support and it's great. I think apps are pretty important in today's gaming market. 

I would actually go for both. Mobile market is huge and not to be underestimated, but I still prefer playing on my computer as it has a much nicer feel to it.

If you start afresh, and time is not a constraint, make sure that your backend can handle different front-end "apps", and eliminate the hassle of adding a mobile app later on.

19 minutes ago, Aveneia said:

I understand the importance of a mobile app that is why I started this topic, but I am not sure if a mobile app with only a web site in it would be ideal.  Why not just visit the web site in the mobile web browser.

Right now the web site is mobile friendly, and it was designed to be mobile "first" and my app idea would be just a mobile app that framed the website. 

I feel like all I would be coding is another version of Safari that could go to only one web site. 

Well that question is entirely for your user base,  I think the big picture here is to be ready for all types of players. With a app on the market it could bring more players in, just imagine having a user base of 1,000 players and you tell them to download and install the app for some type of award. Next thing ya know you'll probably have an app of the day or something like that now your bringing mobile players in.

As in another version, not really all your pages should work on the same theme but a problem I have is some of the pages just stretch a lot, so I add a container and try to make it where players can scroll the object which give them a chance to interact with the game a bit more. 

Me personally not a fan of all the scrolling down vertically,  I prefer horizontal but everyone has their own preference and you should take it into consideration if your a game owner.

download.png.e262fcd689be3493e1f50b7885117618.png

10 hours ago, Aveneia said:

I understand the importance of a mobile app that is why I started this topic, but I am not sure if a mobile app with only a web site in it would be ideal.  Why not just visit the web site in the mobile web browser.

Right now the web site is mobile friendly, and it was designed to be mobile "first" and my app idea would be just a mobile app that framed the website. 

I feel like all I would be coding is another version of Safari that could go to only one web site. 

If you're only making an app to render your own website, then I would say not to bother. A website rendering app s called a mobile browser, So what can you yourself do better than firefox, chrome, safari,... on a mobile to render your website? I'd say your efforts are better concentrated on creating a responsive website so that mobile browsers can render it better.

• Like 1