MakeWebGames

MWG new topic

jcvenom

So far we have seen the ups and downs of the MWG community. Although McCodes in my opinion was MWG's most talked about topic I feel like we have to accept it's faith, look MCC is dead... In my eyes without it we see a community slowly dying. The lack of support back then has truly affected this forum and I'd hate to see it die but if nothing is done about it the forum will most likely die.

I'd like to praise [uSER=53642]dave[/uSER] for taking over the forum and giving us a nice revamp he should really be applauded. Id also like to thank some of MWG's hardworking members who give their time to provide help and work for others.

[uSER=68711]KyleMassacre[/uSER] [uSER=64603]Sim[/uSER] [uSER=65530]Coly010[/uSER] [uSER=52003]Dave Macaulay[/uSER] [uSER=65100]W3Theory || Peter[/uSER] [uSER=69001]Zettieee[/uSER] [uSER=50378]Guest[/uSER] [uSER=65371]sniko[/uSER] [uSER=64687]Dominion[/uSER] [uSER=64684]Dayo[/uSER] and many more.

Recent improvements

• New ownership
  • New design

Suggestions

• I'd suggest removing inactive engines with no support
  • Allowing members to introduce new engines this would create things to talk about and would also attract new users
  • New categories mainly in languages, now you might say ooh there's already categories for languages but a lot of the topics posted are either outdated or inactive. It would be nice to see new languages being taught and introduced into the forum. It would move the forum in the right direction so maybe bringing in members who can kickstart this would be great. Atleast there would be something to discuss rather than "MCCODES" all the time this would also bring in more experienced members as well.
  • New chat system, I think IRC is messy and it would be nice to see something like slack implemented on MWG. It would also be easier to provide help and receive help instantly
  • Moving away from the McCodes concept, I've nothing "really" against MCC except for the lack of support but it does provide a stepping stone but other than that it's deemed useless. Everytime I think of MWG I think of MCC and I'm sure others do too, in reality this is a forum and not a game so let's move away from that thought... again this goes back to point 3 so new discussions are definitely needed.

This is my discussion I can already see arguments or disagreements with what i've posted so feel free to comment i'd like to see your thoughts below

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the majority of your statements; however, if categories are made for various different areas (whether that be for different languages or other mediums), there should be at least a couple of members who are quite knowledgeable in that area and can provide the proper tutorials and/or some help as needed for those who are asking for it.

Part of the problem with many forums such as this are that the moderators and administrators try to go in a new direction by creating new categories, which is fine, but there is nobody that can provide any sort of content for it one way or another (whether that is a tutorial and/or support for those asking for help in that area), and thus, the category provides nothing constructive for the forum.

Of course others that come along and find this forum may be able to provide feedback in those areas, but the chance of someone stumbling upon that and providing feedback in a reasonable amount of time are quite slim.

My usual suggestion would be to see where the forum goes (allow content to be created fairly freely by anyone) and create/adjust categories accordingly, but as this is an older forum being revitalized, the best way (I feel) to handle it is to remove the unused categories (no topics/replies < 2 years old) and then build new categories as necessary.

IRC has since been replaced for MWG (thanks to [uSER=52003]Dave Macaulay[/uSER]) so I think Dave was already working on something new for MWG in that regard.

As for MCC, MCC may be "dead" to some, but to many, it is still a base platform for their game, and from what I can tell, it is still clearly being used (and talked about) quite often on here. Many people come here for help with MCC, which isn't exactly a bad thing, as many of us here have used MCC or are still using MCC. Without MCC continuing to be used and talked about, this forum would have most likely died a while ago.

~G7470

• Like 1

I agree with the majority of your statements; however, if categories are made for various different areas (whether that be for different languages or other mediums), there should be at least a couple of members who are quite knowledgeable in that area and can provide the proper tutorials and/or some help as needed for those who are asking for it.

Part of the problem with many forums such as this are that the moderators and administrators try to go in a new direction by creating new categories, which is fine, but there is nobody that can provide any sort of content for it one way or another (whether that is a tutorial and/or support for those asking for help in that area), and thus, the category provides nothing constructive for the forum.

Of course others that come along and find this forum may be able to provide feedback in those areas, but the chance of someone stumbling upon that and providing feedback in a reasonable amount of time are quite slim.

My usual suggestion would be to see where the forum goes (allow content to be created fairly freely by anyone) and create/adjust categories accordingly, but as this is an older forum being revitalized, the best way (I feel) to handle it is to remove the unused categories (no topics/replies < 2 years old) and then build new categories as necessary.

IRC has since been replaced for MWG (thanks to [uSER=52003]Dave Macaulay[/uSER]) so I think Dave was already working on something new for MWG in that regard.

As for MCC, MCC may be "dead" to some, but to many, it is still a base platform for their game, and from what I can tell, it is still clearly being used (and talked about) quite often on here. Many people come here for help with MCC, which isn't exactly a bad thing, as many of us here have used MCC or are still using MCC. Without MCC continuing to be used and talked about, this forum would have most likely died a while ago.

~G7470

I 100% agree with you, especially when you stated "My usual suggestion would be to see where the forum goes (allow content to be created fairly freely by anyone) and create/adjust categories accordingly" I too think more freedom should be given to the user to be able to create categories. And it would help alot if people who new their stuff were brought in to managed certain categories to provide help and tutorials when needed.

tldr; completely but if your suggesting the user base of the forum to create sections/categories that is asking for a lot of useless stuff and moderating. We have enough time moderating as it is.

That's not what I suggested; it was just interpreted that way. I do agree, I don't think giving users the ability to create sections/categories is a good thing - I meant more along the lines of them creating topics and then gearing the sections/categories towards what sparks the users' interests so that those who know what they're talking about can weigh in appropriately.

~G7470

Maybe I don't understand. This is a forum, post what you want as long as it fits. I believe Dave is open to any and all sections that need to be added if the demand is there. For example, we can have a JS category and if enough posts are about Angular or Node I'm sure we can create those sub categories.

Maybe I don't understand. This is a forum, post what you want as long as it fits. I believe Dave is open to any and all sections that need to be added if the demand is there. For example, we can have a JS category and if enough posts are about Angular or Node I'm sure we can create those sub categories.

As Kyle has said I'm up for creating any new boards that people will contribute towards, however I will be reluctant to add a board if I think it's going to be inactive.

I'm slowly modifying the boards and structure of the forum, renaming some boards to make them more general and adding new relevant modern boards.