MakeWebGames

The Forbidden Age (TFA)

Dayo

Last week i decided to resurrect TFA a project i started over a year ago after finding the old project files.

After going through the old code i have started from scratch using my PHP and JS framework. So far i have coded the basics. Ill be updating this album with modules as ive made them.

Ive estimated the coding will take 6-8 weeks and the content another 4-6 weeks so by October i should have some sort of beta to show.

Very nice Dayo. Good to see you got yourself a project. Who's doing the art? It looks very nice. For some reason reminds me of Runescape/Skyrim.

The art is either from Graphic River or released under licences that let me use them i them merge them together to make what you see :)

As for Runescape/Skyrim that is the sort of game im making so im glad its giving off that vibe :D

Ive been working on the backend the last few days so there has been little to show you. Ive now started the in game UI ive got a few ideas on the layout thought i would post them here to get peoples opinion.

This is what i have so far: http://prntscr.com/7m32a5

Options

1) Have a fixed bar along the bottom with the character stats

2) The bar at the bottom can be expanded to show the stats/inventory/levels

3) Have a menu/stats down the left side of the page

Ill look into the brick background. As for the logo that is because it is bellow a backdrop (like my The Mercenarys project if anyone remembers), the screen shots i provided dose not show that properly see bellow:

Server Select: http://prntscr.com/7m9004

Ingame: http://prntscr.com/7m90gh

Please not alot of the quality was lost with the upload

I have someone working on a new logo at the moment, he is making several designs then from there ill choose one

Nah I like the brick background. The colours match well with the UI. As for the bottom, I think the bar at the bottom of the page, with the expandable stats/levels/inventory may be better. Have them open a dialog box which loads the content with Ajax. That way of you have links on a menu on the left they will be more gameplay focused. In that sense your bar at the bottom could have icons for mail, notifications, user settings, chat.

Also, if your modules/gameplay sections don't require a lot of page loads, wherein they use Ajax to update the page the user is on, then you might think about having the page check for new mail and notifications etc every so many seconds after page load.

I was gonna suggest nodejs for real-time actions but I wasn't sure if that was what you wanted or not :)

I have a question about mixing PHP and nodejs if you care to answer?

If i have my node server operating on port 8080 with socket.io installed and set up, on my Apache runs on port 80 I belive. So going to mydomain.com techniqually takes me to mydomain.com:80 . My nodejs server is running therefore on mydomain.com:8080 . Does the usual <script src='/socket.io/socket.io.js'></script> connect and send requests to the nodejs server on port 8080, or is there more to it?

Or use a ternary operator to check if the value is greater than one?

echo ($timeVal > 1 ? "s" : "");

Mine was a lazy solution, I guess if you do change it, you should use [MENTION=65530]Coly010[/MENTION]'s suggestion.

Edited by Script47

I was gonna suggest nodejs for real-time actions but I wasn't sure if that was what you wanted or not :)

I have a question about mixing PHP and nodejs if you care to answer?

If i have my node server operating on port 8080 with socket.io installed and set up, on my Apache runs on port 80 I belive. So going to mydomain.com techniqually takes me to mydomain.com:80 . My nodejs server is running therefore on mydomain.com:8080 . Does the usual <script src='/socket.io/socket.io.js'></script> connect and send requests to the nodejs server on port 8080, or is there more to it?

You would connect just as normal unless you are using port 8080 for something else

Change

to

I dunno it might make it seem better?

I agree currenly these values are randomly generated like mt_rand(1, 7)." days ".mt_rand(1, 23)." hours" justy so i could see what the UI would look like. But once its coded properly it will be formatted correctly (i.e. missing the 's')

• 1 month later...

I genuinely love this design.

The in game looks quite neat and tidy which is good.

Not sure how you have it working, but it looks like the inventory is on the right of the screen, maybe have it as a div that can pop up from a inv button, that way players can focus on the content of the page

Im glad you like it :)

As for the sidebar the way its coded it would be easy to have it so it slides in/out but i was going to add more to the side bar, the inventory is only part of it and that bit is like a tab so one tab will be the inventory, another the skills the character has, a chat window etc ...

Im glad you like it :)

As for the sidebar the way its coded it would be easy to have it so it slides in/out but i was going to add more to the side bar, the inventory is only part of it and that bit is like a tab so one tab will be the inventory, another the skills the character has, a chat window etc ...

Yeah I like the sounds of that tab setup :)

Do you use bootstrap for the design or has it all been done by hand?