MakeWebGames

Hosting Space - Donation Based Hosting

NonExistent

Before we start off let me introduce myself my name is Jay i use to be on this forum a few years back and i learned a lot of things from it and now i have gone into partnership with Dan owner of Hosting Space and we thought we would share it with you all.

http://hostingspace.space/

We have started Hosting Space witch is a donation funded web host that offers free web hosting with cPanel unlimited crons 5Gb disk space and 50Gb bandwidth

This is a free service but we are running the site via donations (Not yet implemented) So you could donate to help us if you like our service but this is not essential.

Want to use your own domain?

We will also transfer any domain you have with a 3rd party site like godaddy For Free.

So what's the catch?

No catches but after 30 days all inactive hosting plans are removed this is done to keep our servers running smoothly.

We will also be limiting how many we host unlike some other free hosting where you could be on a server with 100s more sites hosted on it.

Future plans we have include being able to register domain names with us however as you can imagine this won't be free.

If you have any questions i will be happy to answer them.

Edited by NonExistent

Nice concept! Can you define "inactive hosting plans" please?

• How much service experience do you have managing servers?
  • Do you manage the server yourself, or do a 3rd party?
  • Do you backup the server contents, and if so, what are your backup methods?
  • If the service has downtime, how quickly can you fix it?
  • Are we allowed to have SSH access?
  • Can we install packages? Ie. PEAR packages?
  • How up-to-date is your technology?
    • Apache/Nginx version
    • PHP version
    • Are they the latest version, or the latest stable version?
      • How much of a notice will you give to clients notifying them of an upgrade to a service?

Edited by sniko

Hosting Space - Donation Based Hosting

Nice concept! Can you define "inactive hosting plans" please?

Accounts that have not been loggeed in the 30day period.

• How much service experience do you have managing servers?

Only about 3 months.
  • Do you manage the server yourself, or do a 3rd party?

3rd party.
  • Do you backup the server contents, and if so, what are your backup methods?

We currently do not back up client hosting plans.
  • If the service has downtime, how quickly can you fix it?

We aim to fix any problems within 24hours.
  • Are we allowed to have SSH access?

No.
  • Can we install packages? Ie. PEAR packages?

Yes.
  • How up-to-date is your technology?
    • Apache/Nginx version
    • PHP version
    • Are they the latest version, or the latest stable version?
      • How much of a notice will you give to clients notifying them of an upgrade to a service?
        24Hours.

Hope this helps:)

Points 2 to 4 are quite critical, yet you, use an external 3rd party to manage servers and push a downtime up to 24hours (but can be way more). Simply... NO.

No backups? Hell no.

Let me clear a point... an account not being logged on, does not mean the service/account is inactive. it can be running perfectly fine, so no need to log on to the account.

sniko made a clear question on point 7 and still you failed to answer, you pointed the versions, fact, but failed to answer if they are the latest or the latest stable.

And finally , 24 hours notice for whatever changes you are doing on the server, is simply not acceptable. Too little time...

A 3 days old domain, sounds fishy to say the least, speccially if you come here asking for donations.

(side note: the name Jay does ring a bell, not for good reasons)

Edited by Lithium

Points 2 to 4 are quite critical, yet you, use an external 3rd party to manage servers and push a downtime up to 24hours (but can be way more). Simply... NO.

We will be moving to our own servers in the future.

No backups? Hell no.

We will be taking backups in the future.

Let me clear a point... an account not being logged on, does not mean the service/account is inactive. it can be running perfectly fine, so no need to log on to the account.

Again this is done as a way of us knowing if an account is/could be inactive, All accounts will be emailed before any services are suspended. I believe x10 do the same thing.

sniko made a clear question on point 7 and still you failed to answer, you pointed the versions, fact, but failed to answer if they are the latest or the latest stable.

Missed this one. Yes they are stable.

And finally , 24 hours notice for whatever changes you are doing on the server, is simply not acceptable. Too little time...

This was my mistake. Actually it's 30 days.

A 3 days old domain, sounds fishy to say the least, speccially if you come here asking for donations.

I wasn't necessarily asking for donations as stated. This is optional.

(side note: the name Jay does ring a bell, not for good reasons)

Can't comment on this as i don't know who this Jay is.

We will be implementing backups, and moving to our new self managed server soon.

Edited by NonExistent

We will be implementing backups, and moving to our new self managed server soon.

In the quoted posts in your replies (that you have your main reply to) can you reformat your replies, ie:

It'll make it easier for other people to read and realise there is an actual reply in the quote.

[noparse]

[/noparse]

PHP is way ahead from 5.4 now, in fact 7 was released in alpha a few days back, you should consider 5.5 or 5.6.

The answers you have given only point to "the future", why not now?

Saying there is no catch but.... is basically saying there is a catch.

PHP is way ahead from 5.4 now, in fact 7 was released in alpha a few days back, you should consider 5.5 or 5.6.

The answers you have given only point to "the future", why not now?

Saying there is no catch but.... is basically saying there is a catch.

Some applications support for 5.6 is still sketchy.

I'd stay on the wildly accepted and generally supported 5.4 and allow users to manually decide to update their account to another version, which I believe is possible through cPanel.

Some applications support for 5.6 is still sketchy.

I'd stay on the wildly accepted and generally supported 5.4 and allow users to manually decide to update their account to another version, which I believe is possible through cPanel.

Laravel requires 5.5.9.

PHP 5.5 has been out for over 2 years (minus 4 days), no excuse for not having it O_o