MakeWebGames

McNodes????

Dayo

I have finaly started to learn node.js properly, i wanted a project to work on in my spare time.

I learnt alot of PHP/SQl while developing mods for McCodes/working on my own game. So i thought it would be a good way to learn the ins and outs of node.

But as i usualy always start things liek this off get to about 60% completeion and never finish them i was thinking of doing it as a sort of community project, we all moan at how bad mccodes is yet we all still work on it and make modules for it.

Rather then make a mods for mccodes would it not be better time spent re-writing that whole module. Things like realtime chat could be implemented from the very start without the need of 3rd party pluguins or constant ajax polling.

There is also the fact that this would create a whole new market for mods and stops people spending any money on mccodes (makes me crindge that people pay for such sub-standard code)

sorry for the punny thread title

Why not just write a new engine? From the ground up, using node.js . Maybe keep the same play style as McCodes but actually have some logical structure to the code, make it neater, better folder structure etc?

I think that would be easier than going through that heap of crap and trying to nodify it.

Also, is there any tutorials on Node.js for Windows? I installed it on my laptop but I can't seem to run any of the examples I'm finding. Don't know if I'm being stupid or if its just difficult to get initially set up. Hence why its taking me time to learn it myself.

Everything will be re-written i wont go file by file and copy the logic, but instead ill go module by module and implement them in node.

I cant remember the one i used but from what i remember it was just an installer you needed to run, but 95% of the time i use Linux so cant really remember.

Everything will be re-written i wont go file by file and copy the logic, but instead ill go module by module and implement them in node.

I cant remember the one i used but from what i remember it was just an installer you needed to run, but 95% of the time i use Linux so cant really remember.

Yeah i tried the installer but it times out, i wasnt sure if it was my end or not lol