MakeWebGames

Random Hint

Miks

I created something very basic but adds another element to your game. You can display random game tips at the top of your pages

Create a page called randmessage.php

You're unable to view this code.

Viewing code within this forum requires registration, you can register here for free.

Then on the pages you want to include the random tip you have to put this line of code

Viewing code within this forum requires registration, you can register here for free.

Theres no styles so you can simply drop it into your current design, all you need to do is play with the location of the include path so it displays in the right place

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1865[/ATTACH]

randmessage.thumb.png.fcbd6d07a0d59dabdfab65bad1b15e8a.png

A nice little addon. However, I would have done something like:

Also, maybe you could implement it in SQL, so you don't have to manually enter the files?

It'd be something like:

Probably won't work, but you get the idea.

Edited by TheMasterGeneral

Thank you, I will probably update it using your SQL suggestion and allow staff to insert tips easier

I'm pretty sure I know how to do it but how would I set the max random number? Can the random maximum number be a variable of a row count query or something?

Thank you, I will probably update it using your SQL suggestion and allow staff to insert tips easier

I'm pretty sure I know how to do it but how would I set the max random number? Can the random maximum number be a variable of a row count query or something?

Yeah, or I think you may be able to use SQL Rand():

@Magictallguy haha awesome!

Works great!

As an addition to this, it's worth considering throwing the data into a session to cut down on queries.

This code will load all hints into sessions on the first load, which means after that, you can randomly load them from an array without querying the database ... again!

As an addition to this, it's worth considering throwing the data into a session to cut down on queries.

This code will load all hints into sessions on the first load, which means after that, you can randomly load them from an array without querying the database ... again!

Updated my repo with your idea, thanks :)